You go to the net and you set yourself up to score, its that simple

habsFan1986

Reason why we can't score is because these guys don't go to the net. The rebounds are there to be had, but they're  to soft and get boxed out. Look at the sens game the goals they scored were off rebounds.  We don't have Playmakers on this team to open up the ice for other players, so we need to score those ugly goals.  DRIVE TO THE NET its that simple.

There is a reason why this basic group of forwards has been unable to score with consistency over a number of seasons, especially when things tighten up in the playoffs. 

Part of it is that, as I've observed before, most of our FWs seem interchangeable - we don't throw different 'looks' at the opposition. Radu represented a genuinely different element, but even he was insufficient and now he's gone. And you're right that we lack playmakers, who open up the ice for other guys (and constitute my own personal favourite 'type' of FW) and we certainly suffer from a dearth of hard-charging power FWs. 

It also doesn't help that we have no D who can lead the offence from the back end.

We're set to rattle of some wins and this will improve everyone's mood, but I really believe this is team Groundhog Day. We will either miss the playoffs or crap out in the early rounds and everyone will mutter about 'puck luck' and hot goalies. In fact this team is just not built to overcome effective defensive opposition over a long stretch of games.

4 minutes ago, habsFan1986 said:

I just think we are to soft of a team and get pushed of the puck way to easy and get boxed out in front if the net way to easy.

A middling group of average-sized FWs with neither the elite skill nor the physical power to overcome an effective defensive system, especially in the playoffs when the refs swallow their whistles. Agreed.

So does that mean we really don't need a top 6 center in the league? If we just got some players with size and speed that play physical it would change things for us. We need a mix of Playmakers/size/speed/physical players.

We have to many soft two way players on this team. Its been like this for the past 20 years, which is why we get the same result year after year.

I think we've found our top 6 center. Drouin. Sure he's not 6'3" but he's got amazing offensive skills. I also believe this team is a little too small up front.  

Size aint got nothing tondo with it as the hawks were always among the smaller teams on average  when they won cups.  One of the cups they were the second smallest team on average in the nhl.

Byron and gallagher are tiny but go to the net and have success doing so.  They have both quick hands and the willingness to take punishment.

Jacob de la Rose can be huge but it doesnt matter.  He doesnt have the offensive instincts to score in tight and doesnt go to the net 

Its all about skill to finish in tight and willingness to take punishment... not about measureables.  And its true we dont have enough players who score greasy goals.