Do you as habs fan trust this organization any more???

habsFan1986

I am starting to lose my trust in this organization. Does anyone else feel the same way???

I was happy when we named MB Gm of this team . After his first year the team looked happy, they seemed like they really enjoyed playing with each other. MB was making moves that paid out. But something happened not sure when it all started to go wrong, maybe when he change the vision of this team and tried to get bigger. But everything he has done the last 2 1/2 years has gone wrong. The development of players is bad yet he does nothing to fix it. Drafting lately has been bad. We have all this cap space but can't make a trade because we don't have prospects that other teams want. We're a team with out any direction or vision or identity right now. I have no faith in this organization to turn things around. It hasn't been like this since the rejean houle  days.

I am worried that we will see more band-aid type of moves that will only hurt this team more. I don't see things getting any better.

This team realize on price to much, but No one can play in front of this d-core. Outside of weber and the youngster mete the rest have been so bad.

This is a team that doesn't look happy playing with each other.

Edited by habsFan1986

Like you, I was initially very optimistic about Bergevin, thinking we had a new-era GM who understood the direction the league is taking. The Subban trade was the decisive turning point for me. That revealed a completely old-school, hidebound organization that prioritized managerial ego over results. Nothing that has happened since has done anything other than reinforce that impression. This is the Toronto Maple Leafs 2.0, and being a Habs fan is analogous to cheering for the Leafs over the years that spanned Harold Ballard's time through to the Babcock era. Bergevin will need to be fired - or else will need to make some smart, forward-looking, franchise-changing moves unlike any he has made to this point - before I reassess what it means to be a Habs fan in this era. The franchise is a guaranteed money maker that does not need to prioritize excellence, and acts accordingly.

• Upvote 3

I think molson shouldn't let this management team touch this cap space. At the end of the year clean house with upper management fire everyone, Bring in new blood with a new vision and let them use that cap space on July 1st to build a team. Yes even if that means trading the core players like Price , max, gally, plexus, and Alex, and using them to restock the prospect pool. Thats how you build a team in today's NHL. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like you, I was initially very optimistic about Bergevin, thinking we had a new-era GM who understood the direction the league is taking. The Subban trade was the decisive turning point for me. That revealed a completely old-school, hidebound organization that prioritized managerial ego over results. Nothing that has happened since has done anything other than reinforce that impression. This is the Toronto Maple Leafs 2.0, and being a Habs fan is analogous to cheering for the Leafs over the years that spanned Harold Ballard's time through to the Babcock era. Bergevin will need to be fired - or else will need to make some smart, forward-looking, franchise-changing moves unlike any he has made to this point - before I reassess what it means to be a Habs fan in this era. The franchise is a guaranteed money maker that does not need to prioritize excellence, and acts accordingly.

I was optimistic until he actually started making decisions.  His first two major decisions pretty much soured me on MB:

1- hiring MT

2- not resigning

Subban to a front loaded contract prior to the lockout, or at least a long term deal.  The only other team not to sign a young star to a long term deal prior to the lockout was the Avs with ROR. Both decisions backfired.

hiring Daigneult instead of Robinson just made matters worse

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Toronthab said:

Hmmmm... Where's my PK? Where's my Markov? I miss my boys.

Why would you miss Markov when we have Alzner, Benn and Davidson??

To me the biggest mistake Bergevin has made is not resigning Markov. It makes no sense any way you slice it. He is a life long Hab who would rather play in Russia than for another NHL team. Montreal needs his presence on the ice and to me that's the main reason why this season is going the way it is. 

31 minutes ago, illWill said:

To me the biggest mistake Bergevin has made is not resigning Markov. It makes no sense any way you slice it. He is a life long Hab who would rather play in Russia than for another NHL team. Montreal needs his presence on the ice and to me that's the main reason why this season is going the way it is. 

Prices play has not helped, but you are correct that ol 79 could help and would easily be upgrade on the Davidson/Strait/Gelinas/Morrow crew. But, he was the slowest Hab last year, doubt got any quicker over the summer and every year his minutes have been dropping by 2minutes/gm, for good reason.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Subban trade was the decisive turning point for me.

And that's the decision that may end ultimately Marc Bergevin's time in Montreal.  Everyone knows that PK's deal was Geoff Molson's deal, and either Therrien, Bergevin, or guys in the room used it as an excuse, along with some poor play on the ice, to force a trade out of town.  He was overpaid, but to keep high quality players in Montreal, sometimes you have to overpay.  The bottom line is that Subban played best when didn't do too much, and the last year in Montreal, he tried to do too much because Price was out and he felt he had to do more.  I think guys in the room let him twist in the wind way too much, and I wonder if that's starting to happen again.

I'm also wondering if this might be an opportunity to see where the real leadership is.  It's not Weber, it's certainly not Patch, and it's not Pleks.  Is Gallagher a leader?  Is Drouin a leader?  Is Shaw a leader?  Is Byron or Danault a leader?  Not a speech-maker, but a guy who doesn't care what the score is, and plays every shift with the same focus and drive.  Because if there's no leadership in that room, you're in even more trouble than you thought.  The old saying goes, lead, follow or get out of the way.  Seems like more are opting for the last option than the first two.

6 hours ago, RobRock said:

And that's the decision that may end ultimately Marc Bergevin's time in Montreal.  Everyone knows that PK's deal was Geoff Molson's deal, and either Therrien, Bergevin, or guys in the room used it as an excuse, along with some poor play on the ice, to force a trade out of town.  He was overpaid, but to keep high quality players in Montreal, sometimes you have to overpay.  The bottom line is that Subban played best when didn't do too much, and the last year in Montreal, he tried to do too much because Price was out and he felt he had to do more.  I think guys in the room let him twist in the wind way too much, and I wonder if that's starting to happen again.

I'm also wondering if this might be an opportunity to see where the real leadership is.  It's not Weber, it's certainly not Patch, and it's not Pleks.  Is Gallagher a leader?  Is Drouin a leader?  Is Shaw a leader?  Is Byron or Danault a leader?  Not a speech-maker, but a guy who doesn't care what the score is, and plays every shift with the same focus and drive.  Because if there's no leadership in that room, you're in even more trouble than you thought.  The old saying goes, lead, follow or get out of the way.  Seems like more are opting for the last option than the first two.

It's all about perception. Weber and Pacioretty would definitely be leaned on, on most teams in the NHL. It sounds poetic to say that they aren't leaders but they are decent core pieces to build a team around. Drouin is also a solid piece. Gallagher is a leader and Byron is relied upon too much but does lead by example. Shaw and Danault are not leaders but complimentary pieces on any team. 

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's all about perception. Weber and Pacioretty would definitely be leaned on, on most teams in the NHL. It sounds poetic to say that they aren't leaders but they are decent core pieces to build a team around. Drouin is also a solid piece. Gallagher is a leader and Byron is relied upon too much but does lead by example. Shaw and Danault are not leaders but complimentary pieces on any team. 

The team has good core elements as a result of the Gainey/Gauthier legacy. The problem is that the GM has shown himself to have no idea how to build around them.

The problem has been the same for years now.  Impatience.  Every year is "their year to win", regardless of how good, bad, or somewhere in between the team is.  As long as Carey Price is between the pipes, everybody seems to think this team is a "contender".  Bergevin should have made drafting and development his priority when he first took over the team.  He also should have traded away any dead weight, and brought in young talent to help the team in the future (which would be now).  Conserve draft picks and prospects as opposed to dealing them away for depth guys/rentals at playoff time.

1 hour ago, John B said:

The problem has been the same for years now.  Impatience.  Every year is "their year to win", regardless of how good, bad, or somewhere in between the team is.  As long as Carey Price is between the pipes, everybody seems to think this team is a "contender".  Bergevin should have made drafting and development his priority when he first took over the team.  He also should have traded away any dead weight, and brought in young talent to help the team in the future (which would be now).  Conserve draft picks and prospects as opposed to dealing them away for depth guys/rentals at playoff time.

This team is not that old.  5 of the top 6 forwards are 25 ir younger.

4 hours ago, John B said:

I agree with you 100% . We have close to 9mil in cap space,  but we can't use it to get  a top forward because we don't have the assets to make a major deal. The top teams always are able to make trades to get top players because they draft well and there development of players in there organization is topnotch. Something that our organization hasn't had since bob stepped down.

59 minutes ago, habsFan1986 said:

I agree with you 100% . We have close to 9mil in cap space,  but we can't use it to get  a top forward because we don't have the assets to make a major deal. The top teams always are able to make trades to get top players because they draft well and there development of players in there organization is topnotch. Something that our organization hasn't had since bob stepped down.

I always felt that Gainey's drafting was strong, but his player development faulty. This was based on the number of promising players that either blossomed elsewhere (Ribeiro, Grabovski, Hainsey, Beauchemin, and of course McDonagh) or else were highly touted yet petered out (Komisarek, the Kositsyns, etc.). Yet when you look at it, the Gainey/Goat years brought us Pleks, Price, Patches, Subban, Gallagher, and Mark Streit, among others. Although there are indeed quite a few young players on the current team, few seem to be of the 'impact' variety; there's Drouin, and there's Galy - likely to be traded - but the rest of MB's pieces seem to be of the Hudon variety, i.e., secondary pieces at best. I think the reason we hear talk about a 'rebuild' is that the star calibre players (Patches, Price, Weber) are all north of 30 and no one really believes that the younger guys, other than Drouin, will be elite. And this is partly why so many fans seem unaware of how young the Habs actually are.