Can Drouin be our true number one centre?

BCHabnut

Over the years as a Habs fan, we have all had the same conversation. What to do about our number one centre. Koivu looked to be that guy in the mid 90s but got hurt. Plekanec showed signs of it when he played with kovalev. We all knew that DD was not that guy. Chucky showed signs that he could, but stats and eye tests have shown otherwise. 20 years without a number one centre is a staggering number. Watching Drouin over the last several games, I can't help but feel that Drouin is or will become a legitimate number one. He has the patience, vision,  talent, and he is a student of the game. 

If you guys wanna turn this into a "Galchenyuk was mis handled" thread, that's cool too, but I thought it would be cool to see perspectives on Drouin.

I don't think Drouin will become a dominant, all-star #1 C like Tavares or Getzlaf.

I do think - without digging into his stats very closely - that he is comporting himself like a legit top-6 C and a respectable #1C. He's not so elite as to be the Saviour, but you can easily see him having a long career as 60-70 point guy and straw that stirs the drink among our FW unit.

Now, he is still young, so if he can find another level beyond what we're seeing, then he'd be moving into serious all-star territory. But what I see right now is the above.

I'm excited by the Galy-Drouin duo, as a concept. If Galy can round into form, that could become a go-to, high-skill, exciting duo for years to come.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think the sky is the limit given the skill Drouin is showing.  

Not saying he will become a PPG player, but he could. 

Agree. Last Hab to come close to his skill level was Kovalev. And I actually give the edge to Drouin from what I've seen so far. If he had a heavier shot he'd be down right deadly 

Kovalev was more exciting and I while I couldn't argue the skill level comparison, Kovalev did have that slap shot and could do things no other player in the league could. Drouin has speed but Kovalev was able to control the play even without the speed, which is somewhat of a backhand compliment.

I just think the actual crowd reception was arguably better with Kovalev based on his play and he's not French Canadian which does say a lot.

I also think that while Drouin is more responsible defensively, Kovalev could single handedly take control of a game. I think Drouin has the skill but I still feel that a contending team can't do it just with Drouin. I know how silly that sounds as no team can win a championship with one player but Kovalev was noticeable every game whether that was in a bad way or good way. Drouin can be quiet for a few games and a great team won't need him to be the go to guy on a nightly basis.

As for the center thing... I think Drouin is capable of playing center but cannot say with absolute certainty that's it's necessarily the best position for him. He's a player with skill and versatility and he could play defense if we really needed him to do so. 

Have we found our first line center? That would be a lot easier to answer if we had a Kyle Turris or Ryan Johansen on our team. Or another binaries too 6 caliber center. If we did, would Drouin still be center on the first or second line, or would he be a winger for us? That hypothetical scenario is the only way I could answer whether or not we have "found" what we as Habs fans have long been looking for. 

I agree. Kovalev was a head-case, but he had that capacity to be absolutely dominant - big, strong, devastating shot, incredible skill. He could turn a game around with one shift and every team in the league was afraid of waking him up. I don't see Drouin as being in quite that class. What Drouin has going for him is that he seems serious and highly-committed, game in and game out, where Kovalev was a hothouse flower and drama queen. I'd rather build a team around Drouin, but for sheer game-breaking talent, Kovy was hard to top.