November 11th: Sabres @ Habs

Commandant

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

23 year old Murray took over the starting position in Pitt. How'd that turn out?

A trade is not going to happen this year, but if Lindgren manages to get into 30 games and plays as consistent as we've seen.  I honestly think there's decisions to be made in the off season. 

In a cap world, those are the type of moves that win you a cup. You'd have to have a giant set of balls to pull it off and it' highly unlikely to happen, but I mean the return for Price would be eye popping. 

Like I said, it was only a matter of time before this kid came knocking. You guys are right about it being too early to even talk about any sort of goalie trade, but this is a great thing for Montreal. 

Well, on the Murray thing, I could never understand why PIT anchored themselves to a goalie who, apart from one year, crapped out in big games and the playoffs, over and over and over again. MAF probably cost them at least one Cup single-handedly. Maybe a better parallel is Corey Schneider / Roberto Luongo. 

In any case, having watched the Luongo-Schneider saga play out here in Vancouver, I don't think your point is completely crazy. Say Lindgren supplants Montoya and spend another 1-2 years growing into that role, learning the NHL, and consistently looking like he's a capable #1. Price will be 32. The obvious thing to do is trade Lindgren. BUT what if Lindgren evolves to a point where he looks like a potentially *elite* goalie? Add to that the possibility of Price's knee issues being an ongoing irritant. And presto, suddenly the decision looks harder. Imagine a goalie who is younger, healthier, cheaper, and nearly as good as Price. That $10 mil in cap space starts to look tempting.

In any case, Price has a total NTC, so it ain't happening. 

23 year old Murray took over the starting position in Pitt. How'd that turn out?

A trade is not going to happen this year, but if Lindgren manages to get into 30 games and plays as consistent as we've seen.  I honestly think there's decisions to be made in the off season. 

In a cap world, those are the type of moves that win you a cup. You'd have to have a giant set of balls to pull it off and it' highly unlikely to happen, but I mean the return for Price would be eye popping. 

Like I said, it was only a matter of time before this kid came knocking. You guys are right about it being too early to even talk about any sort of goalie trade, but this is a great thing for Montreal. 

Murray had a better pedigree than lindgren.

Fleury has aleays choked.

The pens kept fleuryaround as long as possible... just in case.

You talk about "cap world" but fleury was on the cap for both cups.  Its not like they traded fleury for cap space and then added to the team

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You talk about "cap world" but fleury was on the cap for both cups.  Its not like they traded fleury for cap space and then added to the team

What is your assessment of Lindgren's upside? (I for one sure don't think we can extrapolate from six strong games - just curious what the wider "book" on him is)

Guest Stogey24

Pitt already had what they needed on their roster to win a cup. My point is more towards the fact Pittsburgh had a 23 year old goalie take over. And Fleury's boat anchor of contract is what kept him around.

In the Habs case, they desperately need a #1 and that will be almost impossible to acquire without breaking down this team's core. Even if Bergevin did aquire a #1 C through trading Pacioretty or Galchenyuk. Now your cap situation is Anchored by Price, Weber and X player. Your basically worse off in cap space and player depth. 

I say this all hypothetically, but I mean Lindgren could potentially open some serious doors here. 

Had Price and the team not struggled to start the season, this wouldn’t even be a discussion. In fact, had he started strong, then had a minor injury, everyone would be says “Here we go again!”. It’s such a silly discussion to even entertain. Price isn’t going anywhere. This fan base is so quick to turn on any player. Heck, what are we doing with the almost $9M in cap space now?

Guest Stogey24
5 minutes ago, huzer said:

Had Price and the team not struggled to start the season, this wouldn’t even be a discussion. In fact, had he started strong, then had a minor injury, everyone would be says “Here we go again!”. It’s such a silly discussion to even entertain. Price isn’t going anywhere. This fan base is so quick to turn on any player. Heck, what are we doing with the almost $9M in cap space now?

It's not turning on a player. It's taking advantage of a potential situation 

29 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

All we're doing here is toying with hypothetical scenarios. Treating Price as an asset rather than a sacred cow is not "turning on him."

Imagine a 32-year-old Price with recurring knee issues at $10 mil per season. Then imagine a 25-year-old Lindgren who has oh, 50 NHL games under his belt and has consistently looked like a potentially elite NHL starter.

That's the mildly interesting thought experiment we're playing with. Under any normal scenario, you would trade the 32-year-old and keep the young gun. What makes this an unlikely scenario is Price's contract (which will be untradeable both because of the NTC and because no other team would take it under these conditions) and his 'superstar' status. Teams do tend to tie themselves to franchise players for the duration, no matter what.

And I'm not saying Lindgren is potentially elite. But that's the possibility that's interesting to contemplate.

As for the cap space, the fact that MB is a grinning be-suited moron with no idea how to build an NHL contender is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

19 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Ok, hypothetical away. I won’t pretend to be a goalie scout, but the league is full of historical fast starts from players of all positions that fizzled after their brief flash. The discussion has more merit at least a few months into the season, rather than one week. Move Montoya for a pick, split Price and Lindgren down the stretch, even though it’ll be heavily biased towards Price starts.

i still stand by my assertion that if Price had been typical Price prior to his mysterious injury, we wouldn’t even be having the discussion, regardless of Lindgren’s play. That’s what I mean by turning on a player. Not implying that anyone is treating Price like Desharnais or anything.

Lindgren is a battler. That's for sure. His puck tracking concerns me. And his rebound control is pretty scarey at times.  I wouldn't be surprised if teams hone in on that fairly soon. He battles to get to a puck for that first save, leaves himself way out of position and kicks out a juicy rebound. Never know though he could end up with the Thomas and quick crowd who make it work. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What is your assessment of Lindgren's upside? (I for one sure don't think we can extrapolate from six strong games - just curious what the wider "book" on him is)

Capable starting nhl goalie.

But not an elite one.

Something where youd have the 12th-20th best goalie in the league.

Pitt already had what they needed on their roster to win a cup. My point is more towards the fact Pittsburgh had a 23 year old goalie take over. And Fleury's boat anchor of contract is what kept him around.

In the Habs case, they desperately need a #1 and that will be almost impossible to acquire without breaking down this team's core. Even if Bergevin did aquire a #1 C through trading Pacioretty or Galchenyuk. Now your cap situation is Anchored by Price, Weber and X player. Your basically worse off in cap space and player depth. 

I say this all hypothetically, but I mean Lindgren could potentially open some serious doors here. 

I think drouin is showing every sign of being a number 1 c.

They need a top pair d and a number 2c

15 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Lindgren is a battler. That's for sure. His puck tracking concerns me. And his rebound control is pretty scarey at times.  I wouldn't be surprised if teams hone in on that fairly soon. He battles to get to a puck for that first save, leaves himself way out of position and kicks out a juicy rebound. Never know though he could end up with the Thomas and quick crowd who make it work. 

The thing right now is teams have very little video of lindgren... and even when they do... the last three teams we played were all in the second game of a back to back.

Prep on him is limited.

I truly believe that you never know what a goalie is until they play a playoff series (and even then its a small sample and hard to judge).

When teams have a laser focus and plenty of time on prepping for a goalie... the game changes.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All we're doing here is toying with hypothetical scenarios. Treating Price as an asset rather than a sacred cow is not "turning on him."

Imagine a 32-year-old Price with recurring knee issues at $10 mil per season. Then imagine a 25-year-old Lindgren who has oh, 50 NHL games under his belt and has consistently looked like a potentially elite NHL starter.

That's the mildly interesting thought experiment we're playing with. Under any normal scenario, you would trade the 32-year-old and keep the young gun. What makes this an unlikely scenario is Price's contract (which will be untradeable both because of the NTC and because no other team would take it under these conditions) and his 'superstar' status. Teams do tend to tie themselves to franchise players for the duration, no matter what.

And I'm not saying Lindgren is potentially elite. But that's the possibility that's interesting to contemplate.

As for the cap space, the fact that MB is a grinning be-suited moron with no idea how to build an NHL contender is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

Yup, merely an idea of what the emergence of a young talented goalie could do for this organization.  

The thing right now is teams have very little video of lindgren... and even when they do... the last three teams we played were all in the second game of a back to back.

Prep on him is limited.

I truly believe that you never know what a goalie is until they play a playoff series (and even then its a small sample and hard to judge).

When teams have a laser focus and plenty of time on prepping for a goalie... the game changes.

Hell, even the fact that Lindgren catches with his right hand is enough to mess up shooters. 

• Like 1

Hell even chicago was on a back to back (so were we).

4 games.  4 opponents.  Limited tape... and none have the time to really study it and do a game plan.

Lindgren is good... i believe that.

But i also dont believe he is elite.

55 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Yup, merely an idea of what the emergence of a young talented goalie could do for this organization.  

A young talented goalie could also be flipped for a darn good return like martin jones, or cam talbot, or robin lehner, or freddy andersen, or cory schneider, or ben scrivens (to edmonton) or jonathan bernier (to toronto deal)

41 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

But how nice to have something at least positive to talk about! 

(gotta assume Jerabek is one of his clients, but still a productive start)

7 hours ago, DON said:

Why does it matter if he's one of his clients... h'e's just posting facts. 

Its not like he's lying to support a client. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why does it matter if he's one of his clients... h'e's just posting facts. 

Its not like he's lying to support a client. 

Only because he is so vocal on social media about his players. Often causing friction between player and management. He is the hockey Trump. In this case, it is just a statement of fact.

13 hours ago, DON said:

That's great Don! Yahoo.. me that is..I'm a yahoo. Yahoo!

43 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Only because he is so vocal on social media about his players. Often causing friction between player and management. He is the hockey Trump. In this case, it is just a statement of fact.

meh... he's an agent, he's doing his job. 

And he's nowhere close to trump, come on now.