Niemi picked up on waivers

JoeLassister

Niemi's the worst right now. That is all.

:gohabsgo:

This makes a lot of sense as I just asked myself who is playing in the AHL, Nobody on their site, so cam back here to take a look and this thread is up. He is emergency backup. Fucali goes down and plays AHL, Montoya may be awhile and now I think what I thought all year is true. Price has a shot knee. His lateral movement is gone. I am afraid he does not have much NHL time left. I hope I am wrong. Lucky we have a decent goalie behind him.

Neimi will be waived again when Montoya comes back.

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Niemi's the worst right now. That is all.

:gohabsgo:

Seat filler. I'm guessing Bergevin didn't want to keep going with two rookies when Price and Montoya are out and nobody is cheaper right now than Niemi. He makes the same as Lindgren. He's only going to get games if Lindgren gets run out. 

12 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Maybe we are all wrong and MB just wanted to add a cup winner to the looker room. He is a character player!!!!!  :D:lol::D

Proven leader.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Wasn't this guy a solid starter at one time? It seems strange how he fell off.

A lot of players drop off cliffs in mid-career. Remember Theodore? Stephan Fiset was another one. And those are just goalies...Scott Gomez evaporated literally overnight, ditto Paul Mara, and a  bunch of others. It's a weird phenomenon I don't really understand.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He'll be back on waivers in 2 weeks when the goalies get healthy.   Nothing to see here IMO. 

I think you are right, but "a safety net"?! His numbers as per TSN indicate more of a safety sieve. Maybe he will rediscover his game under Waite, steal a game for us and we can trade him to Vegas for a d-man :B)

Niemi appeared in two games with the Panthers, both in relief of James Reimer, posting an .872 save percentage and a 5.08 goals-against average.

The 34-year-old Niemi played in three games for the Penguins earlier this season, recording a 7.49 goals-against average and .797 save percentage before getting waived.

6 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I think you are right, but "a safety net"?! His numbers as per TSN indicate more of a safety sieve. Maybe he will rediscover his game under Waite, steal a game for us and we can trade him to Vegas for a d-man :B)

Niemi appeared in two games with the Panthers, both in relief of James Reimer, posting an .872 save percentage and a 5.08 goals-against average.

The 34-year-old Niemi played in three games for the Penguins earlier this season, recording a 7.49 goals-against average and .797 save percentage before getting waived.

Oh the numbers are a tire fire. 

He is not good. 

If things go according to plan, he never plays a game for the Habs.... but he has experience and was free. 

Murray has also been awful in Pittsburgh so it's not like Niemi is alone. But he's been on the down swing for a while. 

I know it smells like Scrivens but I doubt he plays a game. If he does, it'll be a level of bad I didn't think Bergevin would drop to. 

Bergevin basically said that you don't want to have a young goalie play 2-3 games a month, which suggests Price is closer to returning than Montoya, and he doesn't want Lindgren to be a backup.

If Montoya is out long term, I expect Niemi will only play in relief if Price gets lit up, and then maybe given one actual start to see if Waite has worked some magic. Otherwise, they'll just yo-yo Lindgren to and from the AHL when Price needs a break.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Trizzak said:

If Montoya is out long term, I expect Niemi will only play in relief if Price gets lit up, and then maybe given one actual start to see if Waite has worked some magic. Otherwise, they'll just yo-yo Lindgren to and from the AHL when Price needs a break.

That's pretty much the old strategy with Patrick Lalime in Buffalo at the end of his career.  He was the full-time backup but rarely played as Jhonas Enroth (their goalie of the future at the time) would get recalled to spot start when Ryan Miller needed a day off.