The Goalie Situation

illWill

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

I’ve seen this horror film before. 

Team stinks it up a bit, fan base semi embraces the idea that we would be ok or better off trading the best goalie in the league. 

He leaves. Goes on to win a cup the same year. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

I recently made a thread which shared the thought that the Habs needed a better backup goaltender for a myriad of reasons, including the mystery that is Price, which include periods of questionable play, often correlated with injury concerns. If that's to happen more than once, and the Habs are so reliant on their goaltending, then our backup needs to be able to perform if we don't want to throw in the towel on a given season.

My thought was that we should have  acquired a veteran goaltender like Miller to backup Price. The funny thing is that Lindgren is playing exactly how I saw Miller play in his opening game with the Ducks this season. Lindgren made breakaway save after breakaway save to keep his team in it last night, as well as on other nights.

I suggested that the ideal backup goalie for the squad should have the mentality of a starting goalie, which Lindgren does, but that a veteran may be better because if you have a young guy like Lindgren, it might become an internal distraction to have to multiple young goalies playing great.

Here we are, less than two weeks into said scenario and the sharks are already circling. 

Here would be my order of operations when it

comea to the starting goaltender "situation".

1) Price comes back, Lindgren gets sent back to Laval. Hopefully Montoya and if need be Niemi back up Price. (Ironic that I don't trust veteran goaltender and previous NHL starter, Niemi)

2) Price comes back & Lindgren backs him up

3) Price comes back and we trade Montoya and acquire another serviceable backup outside of Niemi

4) Price comes back and depending how long Price was gone for, we trade Lindgren for something valuable because some GM sees it in him

5) Many other options, including Price playing backup to Lindgren until he falters and we send him back to Laval

31) Trade Carey Price for an all star return.

Those would be my options...

3 hours ago, Helmethead said:

I’ve seen this horror film before. 

Team stinks it up a bit, fan base semi embraces the idea that we would be ok or better off trading the best goalie in the league. 

He leaves. Goes on to win a cup the same year. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

No, this is not the same film - unless we trade Price for something like Greiss, ladd, boychuk and Nelson.  Which with MB in charge isn’t totally out of the question.

first of all, price doesn’t have 2 cups to his resume. He’s had better teams in front of him in the past and that still wasn’t good enough to get to the finals.

Second, the team in front of him isn’t as good as the team that Roy had.  Our defence is the early 2000 NJD - 0nly with no Scott Neidermeyer or or Rafalski.  Our D is horrible.  We have no real top 2 centre.  This team isn’t going to win with or without Price.  Without Price they are going to lose more, with Price they still aren’t good enough to win what counts - the cup.  I don’t care about division titles - we don’t hang them in the bell Centre.

lastly, price hasn’t even started his 8 year contract at over $10m and is already showing signs of durability.  I’d rather move on - but the return needs to be a first line centre.  I still believe that there was a deal to me made for Malkin, before the pens got Murray.  That ship has long sailed.

in today’s nhl a stud centre and dman is much more important than having the best goalie in the world, coz there are only so many games you can win 1-0 or 2-1.