The Goalie Situation

illWill

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Price: When will he come back? And when he does, will he be the dominating guy that he was or will he continue to struggle like he has so far this season? 

Montoya: How long will he be out for? And will he even have a spot on the team when he returns?

Lindgren: As long as he is playing like he is, it is going to be hard to take him out of the net. Will he keep it up? What's best, keeping him as an NHL backup or as an AHL starter?

Niemi: A placeholder until one of the vets come back from injury. Could he potentially regain his form under Stephane Waite? Maybe he could end up on the team all season

Fucale: Got to sit on the bench for a few games in the NHL but needs to play games wherever. Will he ever live up to his high draft pick potential? 

1) When healthy he will start. 

2) Unclear, concussions are a bitch.  He'll be in the #2 role when he's healthy.  Until he's healthy, Niemi is the #2. 

3) Lindgren.  #1 til price is healthy.  Back to Laval when Price is healthy.  He has 1 year of pro experience.  He needs to play. 

4) see above

5) He will never live up to the draft position.  He is behind McNiven as a prospect right now. 

14 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Lindgren ain't going back to Laval. 

I disagree. 

I think dlblair was correct yesterday when he said that they won't have him on the bench as the backup. 

They will call him up when Price needs a rest and there is a start to be had, but they won't leave him on the bench as a backup.  Better to play in the AHL and get called up as needed, then to sit on the bench. 

He's a 23-year-old in his second pro season.  He needs to be on the ice. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Lindgren ain't going back to Laval. 

Why not? he played 48gms as their #1 last year and should keep playing lots and not sit on bench for long stretches.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Why not? he played 48gms as their #1 last year and should keep playing lots and not sit on bench for long stretches.

When Price is healthy though, Lindgren isn't going to be playing a lot.  Even if Price struggles, he's the franchise player and they will give him every opportunity to play through it which means there won't be many starts to be had, no matter who the backup is.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

When Price is healthy though, Lindgren isn't going to be playing a lot.  Even if Price struggles, he's the franchise player and they will give him every opportunity to play through it which means there won't be many starts to be had, no matter who the backup is.

That's why Don's saying he should go back to Laval. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Is exactly what I said. I am hoping Lindgren is playing in Lavel next weekend, with either Montoya or "Nemo" as Price's back up.

What will they do if Montoya and Price are still out Tues-Wed? Play LIndgren vs Dallas and then give Niemi a start vs Nashville?

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That's why Don's saying he should go back to Laval. 

That's what I get for quoting his post instead of the one he was quoting (Stogey's) which is what I meant to respond to.  My bad.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

What will they do if Montoya and Price are still out Tues-Wed? Play LIndgren vs Dallas and then give Niemi a start vs Nashville?

A lot will depend on how Niemi looks in practice.  If he practices like he plays, they may go back-to-back with Lindgren.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's what I get for quoting his post instead of the one he was quoting (Stogey's) which is what I meant to respond to.  My bad.

A lot will depend on how Niemi looks in practice.  If he practices like he plays, they may go back-to-back with Lindgren.

I suppose if Price happens to be out till next Sat, there will be some nervous HabFans thinking "at least we got Galchenyuk last time this happened, who is this Dahlin kid?"

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think it will mostly depend on Lindgren. If he continues to play like he is they will run with him even in a back-to-back. If he starts to falter then they may give Niemi a look. But hopefully our season won't depend on the services of Niemi

I was listening to Martin Lemay on TSN690. He said he wouldn't be surprised if Price was traded within the next few weeks. That he is maybe healthy and they are waiting on something. If anything they are showcasing Lindgren and the team wants a longer sample size. Otherwise Lindgren will definitely start in Laval. Too bad for Laval local Fucale. McNiven & Lindgren are legit goalies. With Primeau and Hawkey(?) on his heels.

I agree Niemi comes in and tries to take Montoya's job. Hopefully Waite can work some magic. Wouldn't be an awful turn of events to get better than Monty backspots  AND let Lindgren eat starts in Laval.

BUT Lindgren is RFA next year. Hopefully 2 maybe 3 years max until UFA. Will Lindgren commit to being Price's shadow until he fades into the sunset? I say trade him while the gettin's good. I feel McNiven is in the proper time cycle and has the skills to be viewed as Price's eventual successor. McNiven/Primeau 2023-24! lmao

46 minutes ago, nihilz said:

I was listening to Martin Lemay on TSN690. He said he wouldn't be surprised if Price was traded within the next few weeks. That he is maybe healthy and they are waiting on something. If anything they are showcasing Lindgren and the team wants a longer sample size. Otherwise Lindgren will definitely start in Laval. Too bad for Laval local Fucale. McNiven & Lindgren are legit goalies. With Primeau and Hawkey(?) on his heels.

I agree Niemi comes in and tries to take Montoya's job. Hopefully Waite can work some magic. Wouldn't be an awful turn of events to get better than Monty backspots  AND let Lindgren eat starts in Laval.

BUT Lindgren is RFA next year. Hopefully 2 maybe 3 years max until UFA. Will Lindgren commit to being Price's shadow until he fades into the sunset? I say trade him while the gettin's good. I feel McNiven is in the proper time cycle and has the skills to be viewed as Price's eventual successor. McNiven/Primeau 2023-24! lmao

That was norman flynn not martin lemay.  He may have been drunk as well.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That was norman flynn not martin lemay.  He may have been drunk as well.

Po-tater, po-tato. Deal from a position of strength.

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

Po-tater, po-tato. Deal from a position of strength.

1) I don't think we are dealing price.

2) I agree with what brian said in the trade proposal thread.... Lindgren's value just isn't that high yet.  He has less than 10 NHL games. 4 of the 5 games he played, the team he was playing against is on the second half of a back to back.  There is little video of him (AHL video sucks) and there is little time to prepare for him.  Teams aren't going to give a lot for a goalie with 7 or 8 good NHL games.  If he has 20-30, and there is a good deal of video on him, and teams have a chance to prepare for him, and he's still playing well, then he has value.  Right now his value is still minimal in a trade. 

I agree Lindgren doesn't have much value in a trade as of now, but he does have more value to the Habs. Think of it like a stock that you are fairly certain is going to rise but other investors dont have the information you do. That's why I think one of the only ways to add to this team is by trading Price. Price has value and lots of it. As long as Lindgren is above average moving forward it would strengthen the overall team. Obviously it would depend on the return and if he continues his play, otherwise it could turn into a disaster. And of course the NTC in Price's contract would be an obstacle, but hypothetically speaking that is a move I make 

3 hours ago, illWill said:

I agree Lindgren doesn't have much value in a trade as of now, but he does have more value to the Habs. Think of it like a stock that you are fairly certain is going to rise but other investors dont have the information you do. That's why I think one of the only ways to add to this team is by trading Price. Price has value and lots of it. As long as Lindgren is above average moving forward it would strengthen the overall team. Obviously it would depend on the return and if he continues his play, otherwise it could turn into a disaster. And of course the NTC in Price's contract would be an obstacle, but hypothetically speaking that is a move I make 

There is no guarantee that Lindgren continues at this level.  

Condon was good his first ten games in Montreal. 
Tokarski looked good against the Rangers in the playoffs. 

There are more. 

You can't trade price and assume lindgren will still be playing at a high level once teams see more of him.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

There is no guarantee that Lindgren continues at this level.  

Condon was good his first ten games in Montreal. 
Tokarski looked good against the Rangers in the playoffs. 

There are more. 

You can't trade price and assume lindgren will still be playing at a high level once teams see more of him.

Obviously there is no guarantee he maintains the level he was on, as it is expected to decrease. But if he can be effective enough to give them a chance to win each game, that's more than enough if you're adding valuable skaters to the roster. 

And if he starts to struggle, I think that there are a few different options in acquiring a decent veteran goalie. If this season is unsavable, then you can give Lindgren more games and McNiven is knocking on the door

Just now, illWill said:

Obviously there is no guarantee he maintains the level he was on, as it is expected to decrease. But if he can be effective enough to give them a chance to win each game, that's more than enough if you're adding valuable skaters to the roster. 

And if he starts to struggle, I think that there are a few different options in acquiring a decent veteran goalie. If this season is unsavable, then you can give Lindgren more games and McNiven is knocking on the door

McNiven isn't knocking on the door.  He's a 20 year old struggling in the ECHL.  He needs 3-4 years. 

Look the Penguins aren't going... hey Jake Guentzel did good for a few weeks, lets trade crosby, imagine all the assets we can get.  Why is it different with a goalie?

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

McNiven isn't knocking on the door.  He's a 20 year old struggling in the ECHL.  He needs 3-4 years. 

Look the Penguins aren't going... hey Jake Guentzel did good for a few weeks, lets trade crosby, imagine all the assets we can get.  Why is it different with a goalie?

McNiven is nowhere ready now yes. But by the time he is, this young group of forwards will be better developed as well. His services may not be required 

anyway if Lindgren develops into an NHL starter. 

My point is that I think the Habs have a better chance of correcting the goalie position without Price, than correcting the many holes on their roster with him

I’ve seen this horror film before. 

Team stinks it up a bit, fan base semi embraces the idea that we would be ok or better off trading the best goalie in the league. 

He leaves. Goes on to win a cup the same year. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

• Upvote 1