Nov. 16, Coyotes vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

How was Petry tonight? He looked bad the few times I was able to watch. Making east west plays as last man back. Losing the puck for two breakaways... etc... Is it time for Jerabek to get a game and Petry to watch a couple. His head aint right this year. IMO

16 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

How was Petry tonight? He looked bad the few times I was able to watch. Making east west plays as last man back. Losing the puck for two breakaways... etc... Is it time for Jerabek to get a game and Petry to watch a couple. His head aint right this year. IMO

Mete was the best D man, Weber played well but was in the box for 2 goals against. (I believe)

Benn and Morrow were mediocre. 

Petry and Alzner were terrible.

8 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Mete was the best D man, Weber played well but was in the box for 2 goals against. (I believe)

Benn and Morrow were mediocre. 

Petry and Alzner were terrible.

I didn't watch this game, but by and large both Petry and Alzner have been harrowingly mediocre this season. I don't understand how two guys universally regarded as bona-fide second-pairing defencemen can look so consistently unimpressive out there. 

Guest Stogey24
21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn't watch this game, but by and large both Petry and Alzner have been harrowingly mediocre this season. I don't understand how two guys universally regarded as bona-fide second-pairing defencemen can look so consistently unimpressive out there. 

I think Petry can be Terrible at times, but he wasn't THAT bad last night. He made a couple decent plays.

It's Karl Alzner thats the problem. He's lost in his own end and that's suppose to be his bread and butter. His situational awarness awful and he can't make an outlet pass to save his life. 

Remember when Subban would make breakaway passes out of his own end routinely. I think there has only been one this entire season and that was Benn to Galchenyuk.

This team is so starved for a  Subban like d-man it's not even fuuny.

21 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I think Petry can be Terrible at times, but he wasn't THAT bad last night. He made a couple decent plays.

It's Karl Alzner thats the problem. He's lost in his own end and that's suppose to be his bread and butter. His situational awarness awful and he can't make an outlet pass to save his life. 

Remember when Subban would make breakaway passes out of his own end routinely. I think there has only been one this entire season and that was Benn to Galchenyuk.

This team is so starved for a  Subban like d-man it's not even fuuny.

Didn't we have a defenceman like Subban-like defenceman - ? Oh, that's right. PK Subban. We absolutely had to get rid of him. Absolutely had to, because...because...wait , it'll come to me :rolleyes:

Either by design or incompetence, MB has built a blueline of plodders. Now maybe Schlemko can be The Saviour :lol: but I found it ridiculous going into the season and still find it ridiculous. (Do you know what rumour I heard on Vancouver radio? That Toronto and Montreal are in the market for a 'stay at home defenceman.' :lol::lol: Eric Gurdbranson's name came up. I find this so ludicrous as to be unfathomable, but he *would* be Bergevin's idea of an orgasmically awesome defenceman).

Guest Stogey24
32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Didn't we have a defenceman like Subban-like defenceman - ? Oh, that's right. PK Subban. We absolutely had to get rid of him. Absolutely had to, because...because...wait , it'll come to me :rolleyes:

Either by design or incompetence, MB has built a blueline of plodders. Now maybe Schlemko can be The Saviour :lol: but I found it ridiculous going into the season and still find it ridiculous. (Do you know what rumour I heard on Vancouver radio? That Toronto and Montreal are in the market for a 'stay at home defenceman.' :lol::lol: Eric Gurdbranson's name came up. I find this so ludicrous as to be unfathomable, but he *would* be Bergevin's idea of an orgasmically awesome defenceman).

Marc Bergevin lives vicariously through stay at home d-men 

Well, now in 26th place with more games played than other bottom feeders, leads to 7.5% chance of making playoffs.

Just a bad team and looking like another lost season.:cry_smile:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Giving up 2 shorthanded breakaways to the worst team in the NHL is worthy of a bag skate. 

And I don't even mean at the next practice, I mean bag skate them at the next commercial break. 

Simply wont help lack of skill on team, a $1m d-man on top pairing and two $5m ones playing like $1m d-men. NO production from 4th line, no all-star calibre players in top six...not a good recipe and bag-skate them from now to X-mas wont change that.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, now in 26th place with more games played than other bottom feeders, leads to 7.5% chance of making playoffs.

Just a bad team and looking like another lost season.:cry_smile:

Wow, that's a low percentage 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

Simply wont help lack of skill on team, a $1m d-man on top pairing and two $5m ones playing like $1m d-men. NO production from 4th line, no all-star calibre players in top six...not a good recipe and bag-skate them from now to X-mas wont change that.

Well guess what. Your buddy Marc single handedly build[destroyed] this d-corp

It truly pains me to see what has happened to this season.

That loss last night shouldn’t have happened, now with Price on the fritz and Schlemko not even playing a game yet the season looks more and more like a lost cause. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Man...when even DON has lost his optimism, you *know* MB has done an absolutely dogshit job.

A true fan isn’t afraid to employ critical thinking in the evaluation of his/her team. That might include taking a step backwards to ultimately go forwards.

The fan who displays the drug seeking behaviour of always needing a playoff hit every year, regardless of how bad the team obviously is, that is what truly irks me.

5 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

A true fan isn’t afraid to employ critical thinking in the evaluation of his/her team. That might include taking a step backwards to ultimately go forwards.

The fan who displays the drug seeking behaviour of always needing a playoff hit every year, regardless of how bad the team obviously is, that is what truly irks me.

I thought the team wasn't great on paper going into the season as a result of a few missed opportunities/signings yet I'm still hoping for my playoff hit this year.

Taking a step back in the NHL rarely provides a certainty that there will be a forward step shortly thereafter. 

Was a even battle just vs Sabres and Coyotes and not much question they will be outside a playoff spot come US thanksgiving (cant see them outscoring Dallas or beating Nashville next tues/wed) which is supposedly a very good predictor of who will playing in late April.

Oh well, at least that game wasn't boring as last couple were and at least can pull for some individual pluses like a Gallagher to have a career year, Galchenyuk-Pacioretty-Drouin to put up respectable #s and Mete to be a stand out in London and at world juniors.

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I thought the team wasn't great on paper going into the season as a result of a few missed opportunities/signings yet I'm still hoping for my playoff hit this year.

Taking a step back in the NHL rarely provides a certainty that there will be a forward step shortly thereafter. 

We "took a step back" in 2013 and then again in 2016. A fat lot of good it did us.

If by "step back" we're talking about five years of bottom-feeding, then yes, that can result in the acquisition of franchise players. It can also result in five horrible years and a bunch of Ryan Nugent-Hopkinses. Imagine suffering through five years of awfulness, only to suffer through another five years of middling results.

This team was in a position in 2015 where, with a couple of shrewd moves, it could have vaulted into the ranks of true contenders. Instead it lost one year to Price's injury, followed by losing the next season - and probably this one - to dumbass management. The team is markedly worse now than it was then: i.e., we've seen the opposite of the shrewd moves that were needed. Tanking was not the answer; maximizing the prime years of Price/Pacioretty/Subban was.

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We "took a step back" in 2013 and then again in 2016. A fat lot of good it did us.

If by "step back" we're talking about five years of bottom-feeding, then yes, that can result in the acquisition of franchise players. It can also result in five horrible years and a bunch of Ryan Nugent-Hopkinses. Imagine suffering through five years of awfulness, only to suffer through another five years of middling results.

This team was in a position in 2015 where, with a couple of shrewd moves, it could have vaulted into the ranks of true contenders. Instead it lost one year to Price's injury, followed by losing the next season - and probably this one - to dumbass management. The team is markedly worse now than it was then: i.e., we've seen the opposite of the shrewd moves that were needed. Tanking was not the answer; maximizing the prime years of Price/Pacioretty/Subban was.

The Habs core was one of the best in the league. The problem is/was the guy steering the ship had his compass spinning in a million different directions.

The window has passed if you ask me. This player core isn't good enough to digest the money price is going to be making next season. This team will not win with Price making that kind of money 

13 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

The Habs core was one of the best in the league. The problem is/was the guy steering the ship had his compass spinning in a million different directions.

The window has passed if you ask me. This player core isn't good enough to digest the money price is going to be making next season. This team will not win with Price making that kind of money 

Think about it from a management perspective. The Habs have 8 million in cap space and I have to believe that somewhere within our management group there is an actual belief that the Habs have a shot or had a shot going into the season. Whether or not many of us as fans agree is a moot point. The fact is that the team was built with 8 million in cap space.

Carey Price is making 6.5 million this year and will be making 10.5 million next year. Add those 4 million to Carey Price, who will likely be the same human being next year, and we still have his goaltending as well as 4 million in cap space to improve our team. Regardless of other contracts that will be coming in, the point is that we can have Carey Price on the team at the time as improving the squad we have on paper this year. This is not to mention that trade deadline moves when a team is a contender can always be made, and those players will hit the cap at a lesser rate.

The cap will also go up ideally and so my argument is that the Habs can win a cup with Carey Price making 10.5 million. It's just a number that people like to get fixated on. I can't imagine his hit being an extreme issue to the success of our squad after witnessing a season where we went into it spending far from the limit. 

17 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Think about it from a management perspective. The Habs have 8 million in cap space and I have to believe that somewhere within our management group there is an actual belief that the Habs have a shot or had a shot going into the season. Whether or not many of us as fans agree is a moot point. The fact is that the team was built with 8 million in cap space.

Carey Price is making 6.5 million this year and will be making 10.5 million next year. Add those 4 million to Carey Price, who will likely be the same human being next year, and we still have his goaltending as well as 4 million in cap space to improve our team. Regardless of other contracts that will be coming in, the point is that we can have Carey Price on the team at the time as improving the squad we have on paper this year. This is not to mention that trade deadline moves when a team is a contender can always be made, and those players will hit the cap at a lesser rate.

The cap will also go up ideally and so my argument is that the Habs can win a cup with Carey Price making 10.5 million. It's just a number that people like to get fixated on. I can't imagine his hit being an extreme issue to the success of our squad after witnessing a season where we went into it spending far from the limit. 

They can win the Cup with Price making that cap hit, in theory.

They can't win the Cup with the boob currently sitting in the GM's chair. He has given us no reason to believe he is competent to make the right decisions to get us there.

Guest Stogey24
49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I just think there's too many missing pieces on this team to swallow a 10.5 million dollar goalie. As good as he may be, he can't stop 2 on 1's from happening and he can't score goals. 

When your defense is shit and your team struggles to bury, a high priced goalie isn't going to allow you to patch up holes. Carey may seal some leaks, but not all of them.

With that being said, I do think Price is worth the Money. The Habs just don't have the pieces in place where signing Price to an 8 year deal makes sense.