We Have A Trade To Announce

Commandant

The Montreal Canadiens trade Torrey Mitchell to Los Angeles. 

If the Kings miss the playoffs, the Habs get the Kings 5th round pick. 
If the Kings make the playoffs, the Habs get back their own 4th round pick, which was previously traded to LA for Dwight King. 

No salary being retained.

Considering Mitchell was brought in for a 7th round pick and an AHLer, this is incredible value if you forget that our 4th we'd potentially be getting back from LA was traded  for Dwight King.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't mind the deal.  It was clear pretty quickly that Julien wasn't going to play Mitchell a whole lot (Byron Froese was playing ahead of him) so they might as well get something back for him.

Mitchell was a healthy scratch at the end of last season too. 

Clearly Therrien was a bigger fan of Mitchell than Julien was. 

Guest Stogey24
10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think nibbling around the edges with the Torrey Mitchells of the world is tanking. 

I wish it was the start of something

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think nibbling around the edges with the Torrey Mitchells of the world is tanking. 

Indeed no. That's why I merely expressed the hope that it's the "first, tentative" move in that direction. That said, the real direction this team needs to take is to flush MB down the crapper so he can fester forever in the  stinking, fetid Sewer of Terrible Habs GMs, along with the Goat and Houle.

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I wish it was the start of something

The problem is that if you tank its not a one year thing. 

1) Pacioretty might be tradeable in season. 
2) Weber is not tradeable in season.  With that contract, if you decide to trade him, it must be an off-season move in order to maximize the number of potential destinations with cap space to take him on. You can't give up this asset for less than full value and the only way to maximize is the summer. 

3) Price... see weber.  Also has a NTC. 

4) Drouin even in a full tear down, are you moving a 22 year old?

A tank job has to be a full tear down, and of the 4 pillars of the team, only one can really be moved in season. 

This team is not set up for a 2018 draft tank.   Tanking takes planning.  The earliest a full teardown could happen is before next season.  In the interim, moving the Plekanecs, and Hemskys, and Mitchells is nibbling at the edges. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The problem is that if you tank its not a one year thing. 

1) Pacioretty might be tradeable in season. 
2) Weber is not tradeable in season.  With that contract, if you decide to trade him, it must be an off-season move in order to maximize the number of potential destinations with cap space to take him on. You can't give up this asset for less than full value and the only way to maximize is the summer. 

3) Price... see weber.  Also has a NTC. 

4) Drouin even in a full tear down, are you moving a 22 year old?

A tank job has to be a full tear down, and of the 4 pillars of the team, only one can really be moved in season. 

This team is not set up for a 2018 draft tank.   Tanking takes planning.  The earliest a full teardown could happen is before next season.  In the interim, moving the Plekanecs, and Hemskys, and Mitchells is nibbling at the edges. 

Fair enough. By your definition, what I'm hoping for is that the Habs give up on the season and start making moves like Van did last year, shipping out the junk for picks and interesting prospects. But I'm still not sure I would support a full-blown "tank job" that has the team finishing in the basement for a number of years.

All of this is second best to firing Bergevin's ass anyway. And I don't want him making major moves involving core pieces, something at which he is clearly incompetent.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair enough. By your definition, what I'm hoping for is that the Habs give up on the season and start making moves like Van did last year, shipping out the junk for picks and interesting prospects. But I'm still not sure I would support a full-blown "tank job" that has the team finishing in the basement for a number of years.

All of this is second best to firing Bergevin's ass anyway. And I don't want him making major moves involving core pieces, something at which he is clearly incompetent.

I still think we can turn it around. 

If we dont my hope is that at the deadline

1) Sergachev plays 40 games, we keep the second rounder.

2) that a Plekanec move brings us as much as Hanzal got arizona, or at minimum what the Weise/Fleischmann moves did.  A solid pick and prospect. 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I still think we can turn it around. 

If we dont my hope is that at the deadline

1) Sergachev plays 40 games, we keep the second rounder.

2) that a Plekanec move brings us as much as Hanzal got arizona, or at minimum what the Weise/Fleischmann moves did.  A solid pick and prospect. 

You still think we can turn it around? What, so we can maybe sneak into the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round.

This team is not a contender and Bergevin had better realize that.

This group is not going to go on some magical run. The defense is one of the worst groups I've seen in a long time. The lapses are glaring and the speed and talent is just not there. 

Price will make a difference, but he's still going to lose a lot of games 2-1, because this team just cannot bury the puck. 

Getting picks and prospects is all good but the problem here is our player development. I don't trust these guys we have in place moving forward to develop any of our picks or prospects we get back in any trades or draft. MB doesn't think there's a problem with our development of players so he will not make any moves. This is why I feel he needs to be fired and someone knew needs to be brought in who knows about player development.

32 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

You still think we can turn it around? What, so we can maybe sneak into the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round.

This group is not going to go on some magical run. The defense is one of the worst groups I've seen in a long time. The lapses are glaring and the speed and talent is just not there. 

Price will make a difference, but he's still going to lose a lot of games 2-1, because this team just cannot bury the puck. 

I'd rather be in the playoffs than picking 10th or 12th overall. 

I don't think that this team is going to be in the bottom five either. 

And being a playoff team is going to be more attractive to free agents next year. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Even though I agree we aren't a contender, I'd rather make the playoffs than throw in the towel. Even though sports are changing in general, I'm never as a fan, going to be able to start "hoping" 3 years down the road will be better if we "do things the right way" this season. 

I also feel as though the playoffs are attainable should we choose to go that route.  Price needs to play better, Schlemko and Weber needs to get healthy, and we need to spend our available cap space in a positive manner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Even though I agree we aren't a contender, I'd rather make the playoffs than throw in the towel. Even though sports are changing in general, I'm never as a fan, going to be able to start "hoping" 3 years down the road will be better if we "do things the right way" this season. 

I also feel as though the playoffs are attainable should we choose to go that route.  Price needs to play better, Schlemko and Weber needs to get healthy, and we need to spend our available cap space in a positive manner.

See that right there is why this team is where it is today. 

52 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

What I always thought as well.

Pitt had numerous top picks and got lucky with 2 super ones, same as Hawks and Leafs...but can you imagine Habs being a cellar dweller for several years in a row, 7 million French people would simply lose their frickin minds and Molson would need presidential-like security to keep the mobs at bay.

53 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Disagree.

Tanking is not a magic bullet that fixes your team.  Ask Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida. 

The team is where it is now because Bergevin acquired a good team but didn't address needs at C over the last 5 years.  In the meantime he also didn't replace Markov and Plekanec as they aged, creating more holes.... and he made some bad moves such as trading Subban for an older defenceman.   All the while player development was done by a bnch of incompetent boobs like Lefebvre and Lapointe and Ramage.  All while allowing the team's best prospect in Galchenyuk to be yo-yo'd from centre to wing. 

Trying to win is not what hurt the team.  A GM who has a bad player development staff and made poor moves in trading one of his best assets is why the team is where they are today. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Disagree.

Tanking is not a magic bullet that fixes your team.  Ask Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida. 

The team is where it is now because Bergevin acquired a good team but didn't address needs at C over the last 5 years.  In the meantime he also didn't replace Markov and Plekanec as they aged, creating more holes.... and he made some bad moves such as trading Subban for an older defenceman.   All the while player development was done by a bnch of incompetent boobs like Lefebvre and Lapointe and Ramage.  All while allowing the team's best prospect in Galchenyuk to be yo-yo'd from centre to wing. 

Trying to win is not what hurt the team.  A GM who has a bad player development staff and made poor moves in trading one of his best assets is why the team is where they are today. 

Amen.

BTW, I don't want this team to make the playoffs. That and the accompanying revenue will make it all too easily for Molson to continue to swallow the Bergevin Bullsh*t and retain his services. The best thing for this organization will be a disastrous season that leaves Molson no choice.