We Have A Trade To Announce

Commandant

Guest Stogey24
26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Disagree.

Tanking is not a magic bullet that fixes your team.  Ask Arizona, Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida. 

The team is where it is now because Bergevin acquired a good team but didn't address needs at C over the last 5 years.  In the meantime he also didn't replace Markov and Plekanec as they aged, creating more holes.... and he made some bad moves such as trading Subban for an older defenceman.   All the while player development was done by a bnch of incompetent boobs like Lefebvre and Lapointe and Ramage.  All while allowing the team's best prospect in Galchenyuk to be yo-yo'd from centre to wing. 

Trying to win is not what hurt the team.  A GM who has a bad player development staff and made poor moves in trading one of his best assets is why the team is where they are today. 

That's all piled into it too.

Uh, don't even get me started on the assistant coaches of this team. JJ Danault should have been sent packing long ago too. 

A lot of hockey minds seem to think Bergevin is safe. Apparently him and Molson are pretty good pals and Molson still has faith in old marky 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Trying to win is not what hurt the team.  A GM who has a bad player development staff and made poor moves in trading one of his best assets is why the team is where they are today. 

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't want this team to make the playoffs. That and the accompanying revenue will make it all too easily for Molson to continue to swallow the Bergevin Bullsh*t and retain his services. The best thing for this organization will be a disastrous season that leaves Molson no choice.

I am in this school of thought.  The first step should be to clean house of all the poor quality hockey people, and bring in the absolute best President, GM, AHL coaching staff, and complimentary NHL assistant coach (Daignault must go!) you can hire regardless of language.  Then allow this new GM the freedom to embark on a proper rebuild without tying his hands.  That's the only way this team will rise to any level beyond mediocrity.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

SAKU KOIVU FOR TEAM PRESIDENT!

I kinda mean that. :habslogo:

Would love to see it, but given all the crap koivu went through about the captain not being able to/willing to speak French, what’s the chances if Molson having a Non-French speaking president?

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

SAKU KOIVU FOR TEAM PRESIDENT!

I kinda mean that. :habslogo:

I like that but can there be a spot for Big Bird there somewhere too? I think he is a maybe part of the "old boys club" but he thinks different then them and that is most in need on the 8th floor, IMHO.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I am in this school of thought.  The first step should be to clean house of all the poor quality hockey people, and bring in the absolute best President, GM, AHL coaching staff, and complimentary NHL assistant coach (Daignault must go!) you can hire regardless of language.  Then allow this new GM the freedom to embark on a proper rebuild without tying his hands.  That's the only way this team will rise to any level beyond mediocrity.

My feeling is that players won't intentionally lose.  Not in their nature, and not in their interests as far as contracts go. 

So the only way to ensure a bad season is for the GM to trade away top talent. 

And I want no part of this GM trading away the talent that we currently have.   So I can't advocate for a tear down and try to lose this season.  Not before he's gone. 

We tend to forget it, but Mitchell was a hometown boy.  So best of luck to Torrey who was once one of my ennemy back in the days when he used to play baseball against my team.

(We both grew up in Montréal suburbs and were born the same year...)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

My feeling is that players won't intentionally lose.  Not in their nature, and not in their interests as far as contracts go. 

So the only way to ensure a bad season is for the GM to trade away top talent. 

And I want no part of this GM trading away the talent that we currently have.   So I can't advocate for a tear down and try to lose this season.  Not before he's gone. 

I would be okay if he got rid of a few contracts for picks or prospects. Mitchell was a good start, say a Shaw; a Plecky and maybe even dare I say Hemsky would be okay by me :)

16 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I would be okay if he got rid of a few contracts for picks or prospects. Mitchell was a good start, say a Shaw; a Plecky and maybe even dare I say Hemsky would be okay by me :)

Moving pleky or hemsky is not tankong though.  Does it really make our team worse.

Shaw i dont hate.  If we get a decent offer sure.  But im not desperate to sell.

47 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I like that but can there be a spot for Big Bird there somewhere too? I think he is a maybe part of the "old boys club" but he thinks different then them and that is most in need on the 8th floor, IMHO.

Big Bird seems to want lower-level, player-friendly, low-pressure positions. He's semi-retired.

Saku Koivu, by contrast, is still young, knows Montreal inside and out, and from everything I can see is an exceptionally intelligent and committed human being, who will have the wisdom that comes from fighting battles the rest of us can barely comprehend. He might be both interested and capable. I say we start a petition!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ehjay said:

Despite the uproar from us and media for the poor season, I think that's what they'll go: do minor trades for picks and prospects and ride out the season in hopes of a miracle.

In February or the summer they will be loaded to re-tool for good.

I hate it that it has gotten to this point, but I do not see any other way how they can become contenders in the next 1-2 years without blowing up the core

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Moving pleky or hemsky is not tankong though.  Does it really make our team worse.

Shaw i dont hate.  If we get a decent offer sure.  But im not desperate to sell.

Well yes, because moving Pleks and replacing him on the team with anyone from the AHL takes the center depth on this team from "worst in the league" to "even worse than worst in the league".

And it is tanking. Making yourself worse on purpose is tanking. Just because others have burned their teams (and organizations) to the ground to get a better draft position doesn't mean the Habs have to to be a worse team tomorrow than they are today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think plek is that good anymore

And i dont think changing from

Drouin- danault- plek down the middle to

Drouin - chuck - danault down the middle is worse 

Commandant, I hope it will be Tavares-Drouin-Danault this summer :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I dont think plek is that good anymore

And i dont think changing from

Drouin- danault- plek down the middle to

Drouin - chuck - danault down the middle is worse 

What about Drouin - Danault - Shaw?  I'd suggest that's more likely at this point than Galchenyuk switching to centre, something Bergevin and Julien seem to have very little interest in doing.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

What about Drouin - Danault - Shaw?  I'd suggest that's more likely at this point than Galchenyuk switching to centre, something Bergevin and Julien seem to have very little interest in doing.

Especially when you consider that Drouin and Galchenyuk sure ain't taking shorthanded faceoffs.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think that if plek is gone at the deadline it isnt tanking but it also is goving up on the season.  At that point you might as well put chuck at centre.

As for trizzaks point on short handed faceoffs.  You have danault and de la rose (or other fourth line c) killing penalties.  Byron can also take draws on the penalty kill.  Shaw isnt getting pk minutes right now.  He is no more a consideration for pk faceoffs than chuck is.

49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think that if plek is gone at the deadline it isnt tanking but it also is goving up on the season.  At that point you might as well put chuck at centre.

It's certainly a possibility but I took Bergevin's comments at the beginning of the year as his way of saying it's not going to happen period so quit bugging us about it.  If they're out of it at the trade deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if Evans is in that spot by the end of the season to be honest (as the enticement to have him forego free agency).

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's certainly a possibility but I took Bergevin's comments at the beginning of the year as his way of saying it's not going to happen period so quit bugging us about it.  If they're out of it at the trade deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if Evans is in that spot by the end of the season to be honest (as the enticement to have him forego free agency).

could be anywhere between 8-15 games between a trade and the end of the college season.  (Depending when trade is and how deep ND goes).

I also have seen them easing Galchenyuk into bigger defensive roles and centre type roles all season.  they aren't doing if for now and done for ever are different things

11 hours ago, DON said:

What I always thought as well.

Pitt had numerous top picks and got lucky with 2 super ones, same as Hawks and Leafs...but can you imagine Habs being a cellar dweller for several years in a row, 7 million French people would simply lose their frickin minds and Molson would need presidential-like security to keep the mobs at bay.

They're protecting Trump? Hmm..

12 hours ago, Toronthab said:

They're protecting Trump? Hmm..

You could be correct and they may not be quite so willing to dive in front of bullet for next 3... to 7 years.:bouncing:

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm not against trading MaxPac or any1 except CP31 and Maybe Weber along with last years draft class. That said I still don't think that qualifies as "tankong"; as we can't get worse can we? 

22 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Despite the uproar from us and media for the poor season, I think that's what they'll go: do minor trades for picks and prospects and ride out the season in hopes of a miracle.

In February or the summer they will be loaded to re-tool for good.

I hate it that it has gotten to this point, but I do not see any other way how they can become contenders in the next 1-2 years without blowing up the core

You might be right, I'm at a loss right now and kinda in weird way happy not to be GM :/ but then I think of the pay and say to myself I could figure it out, lol :)

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Big Bird seems to want lower-level, player-friendly, low-pressure positions. He's semi-retired.

Saku Koivu, by contrast, is still young, knows Montreal inside and out, and from everything I can see is an exceptionally intelligent and committed human being, who will have the wisdom that comes from fighting battles the rest of us can barely comprehend. He might be both interested and capable. I say we start a petition!

I would sign that petition :) Big Bird has always been my favorite player and after his playing days I always wished the Habs could get him back in the red, white and blue fams. At least he is up in the rafters :) I guess what I want is a D coach,  some other then JJ , because I think you already told me once or twice to forget the idea of Larry joining Top Brass :'(

Edited by ehjay