Do people really believe a #1 center is all we need???

habsFan1986

A number one  center is not going to turn us into a cup contender over night. There is a lot more going on with this team than that. I fear that if management doesn't wake up they could make things even worse. When ever we get key injures we go on this down word spin. The problem is we don't have the talent in our farm system to fill holes on the big club when ever there's a injury. Thats do in large part because of very bad player development, and some bad trades. We are now seeing how dry our farm system really is, we have 9mil in cap space and can't make a trade unless its a star player on our NHL team going in the trade. But management believes we are a playoff team so they wouldn't trade key star players. This is what the problem is, what really is this team??? What direction do we go in???? If we can't make trades do to lack of prospects, What do we do?? At the deadline are we buyers or seller's? Do we wait tell July 1st retool the team then??? Or do we do this right way and blow up the team and fort office, bring in a GM that knows about player development , and we finally fix the true issues with this organization ??? I am just tired of going through this down word tail spin each time we get key injuries and can't fill the void do to lack of depth and talent.

I know you guys are going to say we are always pick at the back end of drafts, but so are the pens, black hawks, sharks, kings, Tampa, caps and they all seem to still find talented players that they develop.

#1 Center

#2 center

Move Drouin back to the wing

2 more top 4 defenseman

More size, toughness and players who can win battles. Byron, Gallagher and Shaw are the toughest forewards they have, the smallest also. 

They need to get younger, bigger, faster and more talented

I sometimes like to think about what it takes to build a team in the cap era. There are very few examples of a perfectly balanced team in the modern nhl. Here is my rank of top 9 forwards, top 4 defense,  and goaltending in Montreal. 

Pacioretty (1LW+) Drouin (1C-) Gallagher (1RW)

Galchenyuk  (2LW- 2RW- 2C-????) Danault (3C+) Byron ( 3RW+)

Lehkonen (3LW) Plek (3C) Shaw  (3RW) 

Weber (1D+) Petry (3D-)

Price (G+) 

There a few holes on this team, but for me, the big gap is who plays with weber and Petry. Alzner may be a 4D, but he does not seem to fit on this team. I would rather see a puck moving 4D play with weber. And a solid 2D play with Petry. Where does Galchenyuk fit on the team? Finding his game could change a lot. I worry that he may be AK46 2.0.  There are certainly holes in the line up, but I think one or two players playing in a slot they are suited to, where they are complimentary to their team mates, can change a lot. Which is why I am so confused that MB let Markov walk???

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

There a few holes on this team, but for me, the big gap is who plays with weber and Petry. Alzner may be a 4D, but he does not seem to fit on this team.[...]

(Chucky) may be AK46 2.0 [...]

Which is why I am so I confused that MB let Markov walk???

I also think along the same lines. I believe the biggest need is for two solid top 4 D; and a top 6 player to play like we expected Chucky to play .., if he has plateau'ed

I miss Markov too. That was a mistake

• Upvote 1

The Habs centers all have as many or less goals less goals than Morrow, the Habs number 9 D to start the year. Enough said. 

If you think having your top centers on pacew for less than 50 points a year is good, then your team is a bottom feeder, like the habs are. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I also think along the same lines. I believe the biggest need is for two solid top 4 D; and a top 6 player to play like we expected Chucky to play .., if he has plateau'ed

I miss Markov too. That was a mistake

I just don't know why he didn't have a plan B in place that didn't involve washed up or borderline NHL capable d-men, once Radulov was gone and Markov was on the fence. And I assumed he would use the extra $$ to add a quality player. But a Benn or Schlemo as top pairing guy??

17 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I sometimes like to think about what it takes to build a team in the cap era. There are very few examples of a perfectly balanced team in the modern nhl. Here is my rank of top 9 forwards, top 4 defense,  and goaltending in Montreal. 

Pacioretty (1LW+) Drouin (1C-) Gallagher (1RW)

Galchenyuk  (2LW- 2RW- 2C-????) Danault (3C+) Byron ( 3RW+)

Lehkonen (3LW) Plek (3C) Shaw  (3RW) 

Weber (1D+) Petry (3D-)

Price (G+) 

There a few holes on this team, but for me, the big gap is who plays with weber and Petry. Alzner may be a 4D, but he does not seem to fit on this team. I would rather see a puck moving 4D play with weber. And a solid 2D play with Petry. Where does Galchenyuk fit on the team? Finding his game could change a lot. I worry that he may be AK46 2.0.  There are certainly holes in the line up, but I think one or two players playing in a slot they are suited to, where they are complimentary to their team mates, can change a lot. Which is why I am so confused that MB let Markov walk???

The analogy between Kostitsyn and Galchenyuk is disturbingly apt. Good post on the whole.

I think that adding an elite #1 C (which is what everyone means when they cry for a #1C) and a serious #2-calibre puck-moving LD would have a transformative effect on the team. Drouin and Patches would suddenly become "secondary" rather than go-to guys and would excel in that capacity. The gong-show on the back end would stop, and the addition of a top-pairing calibre puck-mover would help to elevate the entire offence.

Unfortunately, of course, an elite #1C and a top-pairing puck-mover are two of the hardest commodities to acquire, especially for Mr. "It's Tough" Bergevin.

Letting Markov go was one of the stupidest short-term mistakes in Habs' history.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Letting Markov go was one of the stupidest short-term mistakes in Habs' history.

However;

Markov has 17pts in 34gms (0.5ppg) in KHL...last year Jerabek had 34pts in 59gms (0.57ppg).

He seems to be slowing down (he started year on fire, so really has done little lately), but I know nothing of possible injury,  the strength of team he is on, or anything other that pts. 

I think bigger mistake was to not come up with another option if Markov signed elsewhere.

8 hours ago, DON said:

I just don't know why he didn't have a plan B in place that didn't involve washed up or borderline NHL capable d-men, once Radulov was gone and Markov was on the fence. And I assumed he would use the extra $$ to add a quality player. But a Benn or Schlemo as top pairing guy??

For me MB's comment in English _and_ French "if you want loyalty, buy a dog" summarized why there was no plan B.

he was screwed by at least one of Radu or Markov... or both 

I think the Canadians as an organization is stashing cap money this year, rolling the dice with the current line up, but with eyes on 2018's free agents to build the team they want 

it sucks to be a CH fan right now, but it would be worst if we blew up the core or tanked for a re-build 

22 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

It depends on the quality of that #1 Center. 

A Tavares would bring much more than a Nugent-Hopkins (who would be a #1 on this team.)

Completely agree. Like someone else mentioned, bringing tavares would reduce some of the pressure on Drouin and MaxPac. I strongly believe those two function better when they don't have to be the go to guy on the club!

The team might have a few holes.... but even cup winners have holes in the cap era. 

The Penguins defence is not good. 

The Blackhawks never had a second line centre on any of the three cup winners.

The Bruins team that won had no PP

The Kings didn't have enough offence. 

Last 8 cup winners, you can find a hole in all of them. 

Its the cap era.  No team is perfect and no team has zero weakness.  You don't find the late 70s habs anymore. 

That said, this team is missing pieces to be a cup contender, but its less than most people here seem to think. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

The team might have a few holes.... but even cup winners have holes in the cap era. 

The Penguins defence is not good. 

The Blackhawks never had a second line centre on any of the three cup winners.

The Bruins team that won had no PP

The Kings didn't have enough offence. 

Last 8 cup winners, you can find a hole in all of them. 

Its the cap era.  No team is perfect and no team has zero weakness.  You don't find the late 70s habs anymore. 

That said, this team is missing pieces to be a cup contender, but its less than most people here seem to think. 

This may be true but I think "faith" in the ability of a GM that says "trades are hard" is where the issues root from.

if MB would

say:" trades are hard and then make the Drouin trade yet still manage to keep and Marky or Radu; then I believe People would have "faith" MB can find some1 to take Radu or Markov's spot. 

Loosing both and not even seeming like he is on his E plan for it, like the Goat seemed liked at times, I feel has really shook not only the fan base (hardcore and passive a like) but also the the corps that spend bucks for loges. This will be catalysis for a shake up. If money folks (to not use another f word) don't feel they can make a buck at the games like on the links. Things might change back to: "lets make the playoffs then anything can happen", sell the dream.

Ouch! I don't know where that came from.... I can almost afford two tickets with the 40% discount offered on StubHub... I have no reason to complain :mellow: 

42 minutes ago, ehjay said:

This may be true but I think "faith" in the ability of a GM that says "trades are hard" is where the issues root from.

if MB would

say:" trades are hard and then make the Drouin trade yet still manage to keep and Marky or Radu; then I believe People would have "faith" MB can find some1 to take Radu or Markov's spot. 

Loosing both and not even seeming like he is on his E plan for it, like the Goat seemed liked at times, I feel has really shook not only the fan base (hardcore and passive a like) but also the the corps that spend bucks for loges. This will be catalysis for a shake up. If money folks (to not use another f word) don't feel they can make a buck at the games like on the links. Things might change back to: "lets make the playoffs then anything can happen", sell the dream.

Ouch! I don't know where that came from.... I can almost afford two tickets with the 40% discount offered on StubHub... I have no reason to complain :mellow: 

Don't take my post as a defense of MB.  I've been firmly in the camp of he needs to be fired since the trade deadline failure. He had many chances to find that piece and failed. 

The price for Brayden Schenn was cheap and we weren't even involved. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, Commandant said:

Don't take my post as a defense of MB.  I've been firmly in the camp of he needs to be fired since the trade deadline failure. He had many chances to find that piece and failed. 

The price for Brayden Schenn was cheap and we weren't even involved. 

if I be real real, I kinda feel the same but I think MB has gotten his ego get in the way of his potential. 2 years ago he had to make some changes, in the summer (if not in season), after the CP injury (season) and instead of finding more offence, he did what he did. Same this past summer, he had to find a way to get more Offence. He got Drouin but did not find replacements for Radulov or Markov, just stacked the Team with bottom pair Dmen. Ohh! and got a defensive minded coach. 

No Offence added in my book. :(

And this is why I say ego, he was a Dman and somewhere he might hold to true: "Offence will get you to the Game but defense will win it" but not if you can't put any points up on the ***** Board!

On 11/27/2017 at 2:10 PM, ehjay said:

if I be real real, I kinda feel the same but I think MB has gotten his ego get in the way of his potential. 2 years ago he had to make some changes, in the summer (if not in season), after the CP injury (season) and instead of finding more offence, he did what he did. Same this past summer, he had to find a way to get more Offence. He got Drouin but did not find replacements for Radulov or Markov, just stacked the Team with bottom pair Dmen. Ohh! and got a defensive minded coach. 

No Offence added in my book. :(

And this is why I say ego, he was a Dman and somewhere he might hold to true: "Offence will get you to the Game but defense will win it" but not if you can't put any points up on the ***** Board!

some hockey divinity read that last post of mine and said scared dung on you!! 17 goals scored in the last 3 games and this one still isn't over!! I will eat it too if they keep this up :D 

If Schlemko and Jerabek stabilize our defense, I could talk myself into believing in our roster if we add a #1C.  Sell the farm for Giroux or Tavares, and we just might have a shot against Tampa or Toronto in the playoffs.  

Sell the farm for Giroux or Tavares, and we just might have a shot against Tampa or Toronto in the playoffs.  

Yes for Tavares but no for Giroux.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-11-25 at 5:46 PM, DON said:

However;

Markov has 17pts in 34gms (0.5ppg) in KHL...last year Jerabek had 34pts in 59gms (0.57ppg).

He seems to be slowing down (he started year on fire, so really has done little lately), but I know nothing of possible injury,  the strength of team he is on, or anything other that pts. 

I think bigger mistake was to not come up with another option if Markov signed elsewhere.

In 2012-13 Markov had just 6 points in 21 KHL games. It doesn't mean much. I think he just plays really well in the NHL. His decision making and gap control are just top notch. The small ice works for him.

45 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

In 2012-13 Markov had just 6 points in 21 KHL games. It doesn't mean much. I think he just plays really well in the NHL. His decision making and gap control are just top notch. The small ice works for him.

BS, he is old-slow and getting moreso. This isn't 12-13 anymore and he has been old-timer softball age for several years now. Doubt will ever lose his vision, but hands and feet have likely started to betray him.

Would he be huge upgrade on 3rd pairing, yes. On the PP probably be upgrade. Top two pairings...I don't know if he could handle the icetime?

2 hours ago, DON said:

BS, he is old-slow and getting moreso. This isn't 12-13 anymore and he has been old-timer softball age for several years now. Doubt will ever lose his vision, but hands and feet have likely started to betray him.

Would he be huge upgrade on 3rd pairing, yes. On the PP probably be upgrade. Top two pairings...I don't know if he could handle the icetime?

I'm not denying that he's slowing down, that would be ridiculous. What I'm saying is that performing at .5 ppg in the KHL isn't a reliable indication considering that he did far worse 4 seasons ago. For what it's worth, I agree that he couldn't handle 23+ minutes or along those lines. But Markov used on the powerplay would be a clear advantage, where smarts were always his bread and butter. Markov would upgrade our first wave PP, let alone 2nd. Somewhere around the 18-20 minute mark and I still think he would thrive this year.