Love/Hate X players

JoeLassister

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Looks like it was the case and other players who had assists that game included Plekanec, Higgins and Ribeiro, from what I can remember. I think there was one more.

So how about Ribeiro? Has his name not

come up simply because people already hated him while he was on our team? :lol:

I think his name deserves a mention as there were flashes of him having some skill early on with us. 

More than flashes. He had 65 and 51 point seasons for us. What an atrocious trade - even more atrocious when you consider that we threw away a legitimate #2 or #1A C, despite having a desperate need for top-6 C.

Now I know people will leap out and say that Ribs was a jackass and that that was "addition by subtraction." No, it wasn't. All it did was deplete the team at its weakest position. We managed the same trick with Grabs a few years later. Oy vey.

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Looks like it was the case and other players who had assists that game included Plekanec, Higgins and Ribeiro, from what I can remember. I think there was one more.

So how about Ribeiro? Has his name not

come up simply because people already hated him while he was on our team? :lol:

I think his name deserves a mention as there were flashes of him having some skill early on with us. 

The only thing I disliked about Ribeiro is the return we got for him.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

More than flashes. He had 65 and 51 point seasons for us. What an atrocious trade - even more atrocious when you consider that we threw away a legitimate #2 or #1A C, despite having a desperate need for top-6 C.

Now I know people will leap out and say that Ribs was a jackass and that that was "addition by subtraction." No, it wasn't. All it did was deplete the team at its weakest position. We managed the same trick with Grabs a few years later. Oy vey.

The situation did remind me a little bit of Grabovski years later because they were both skilled players. It's probably no coincidence that I've brought up both players in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

The only thing I disliked about Ribeiro is the return we got for him.

I guess I didn't really dislike Ribeiro at any point, come to think about it. But he had his moments, like faking getting hurt against Boston. But I guess it is instances like that are what build a true rivalry and I appreciate the emotion. There were a few times I felt as though he embellished against us after the trade, but that was just part of his demeanor. 

On 11/30/2017 at 0:45 PM, Stogey24 said:

I thought I'd hate Subban, because I do get why he caught so much heat, but to my dismay, I still love him :( 

F U Marc

Hahahahah! 

The only players I really hated were Kovalenko and Murray Baron both because the trades that brought them sucked and because neither wanted to be here. F'ing Houle

Is now a fitting time to complain about my coach when I was in my teens. He made me assistant captain, but instead of the usual designation he gave me the letters A H.  What could it have meant?:o

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Grabs went for a pick that was flipped for Robert Lang... so it was taking a prospect for an established top 6 c. 

Unfortnately Lang tore his achilles and was never the same.  He was leading the team in scoring when hurt. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I never liked Ribeiro. 

Same here. 

But.. on the other hand... he didn't think much of me either...:huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Grabs went for a pick that was flipped for Robert Lang... so it was taking a prospect for an established top 6 c. 

Unfortnately Lang tore his achilles and was never the same.  He was leading the team in scoring when hurt. 

Huh, I remember him being moved for Pateryn (!), but that cant be right - ? Anyway, the moves you describe are good moves, and yes, I remember how good he was for us, and how the team cratered once he and Markov went down. Good luck was not one of the defining traits of the Gainey era.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Huh, I remember him being moved for Pateryn (!), but that cant be right - ? Anyway, the moves you describe are good moves, and yes, I remember how good he was for us, and how the team cratered once he and Markov went down. Good luck was not one of the defining traits of the Gainey era.

This would be very easy for either of us to check, but from memory the Grabovski deal was for a 2nd rounder and Pateryn, which was notable because I think the deal happened only a few days or weeks after Pateryn was drafted.

I'll verify that when I feel like spending 30 seconds on a tradetracker site.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

This would be very easy for either of us to check, but from memory the Grabovski deal was for a 2nd rounder and Pateryn, which was notable because I think the deal happened only a few days or weeks after Pateryn was drafted.

I'll verify that when I feel like spending 30 seconds on a tradetracker site.

Actually, let's just do the lazy thing and rely on our memories, because your account matches my own, and also harmonizes with Commandant's claim that we traded that pick for Lang. It all makes sense. (And incidentally, that turns out - contrary to my original complaint above - to be one hell of a trade. A small #2 C for Robert Lang and Greg Pateryn = a good deal for sure).

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Loved the much-maligned Crankshaft in his short stint as a Hab.

:lol: I liked him too, a hilarious and entertaining player, even if he was a nearly-complete liability out there.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: I liked him too, a hilarious and entertaining player, even if he was a nearly-complete liability out there.

Kinda like a Frankenstein or Hulk on skates.

17 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Grabs was traded for Pateryn plus a 2nd rounder. 

The second rounder was flipped to Chicago for Lang, and we kept Pateryn. 

21 hours ago, lazy26 said:

I liked Pouliot in Montreal, but he's pissed me off since!

He pissed me off a lot more in Montreal