Davidson claimed by Edmonton

dlbalr

FYI----vrbata career playoff points--42 games 18 points. High in goals 2.

Just to add fual to the fire?

Pacioretty playoff points----38 games 19 points. High in goals 5.

Plekenec playoff points---87 games 49 points.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Another "very easy to check but I'm too lazy so here it is from memory" moment:

Pretty sure Benn was brought in a few weeks or days before the deadline, so Davidson was the final deadline acquisition on the team.

I looked it up.

Benn was traded for 2 days before the deadline - not a week. It is reasonable to call him a deadline acquisition. 

4 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

So hypothetically Vrbata could have been had for a second round pick.   Very possibly some good play by him could have got us into the 2nd round.  

Even if we resign him, would we better off going forward with Vrbata instead of Josh Brook or instead of Joni Ikonen? 

Vrbata is an okay player but he is 36 and on pace for a 12 goal 40 point season.

It would have changed a lot of things cause you wouldn't have given picks to get King and Ott... so you wouldn't have Josh Brook, but would have two other prospects too. 

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

If Davidson clears and isn't traded, what is the veteran situation down in Laval? Can he play without another vet sitting, or are they back to playing musical chairs?

Right now, their veteran situation isn't too bad:

Taormina

Gelinas

Terry

Cracknell

Deslauriers, Jerabek, and Froese all qualify as well but they're up with the Habs right now.

• dlbalr changed the title to Davidson claimed by Edmonton

So - is this overall good news for the Habs? Lost an asset, that’s bad. Maybe needed him in Laval, that’s bad. Perhaps a good callup back to the big club, also bad. 

But if he was never cracking the top 6 with the Habs, is it better his contract is gone? 

58 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

So - is this overall good news for the Habs? Lost an asset, that’s bad. Maybe needed him in Laval, that’s bad. Perhaps a good callup back to the big club, also bad. 

But if he was never cracking the top 6 with the Habs, is it better his contract is gone? 

Maybe means Mete will play with Habs and then will be back with Habs after World Juniors, so Davidson might be of been #8 on depth chart, someone had to be demoted to make way for Weber and he drew short straw?

Edmonton doesn't have Desharnais anymore either and I wanted him traded for years but for all Desharnais did do for us it seems as though it (Davidson) turned out to be a pretty underwhelming return in the end. I have a feeling there are some Edmonton fans who don't mind seeing this but with the Habs, I rarely saw it, and he never seemed to really get going here. 

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

I'd say more bad than good.  They have the cap space (and contract spots) that they could have kept him down there, giving them an NHL-capable(ish) player to recall.  Their left side depth in Laval is Matt Taormina (who has no clue in his own end), Tom Parisi (who isn't all that good), Eric Gelinas (who also has no clue in his own end and isn't on an NHL contract), plus Simon Bourque (who can't get into the lineup most nights).  None of those players are really call-up options so it would have been nice to have one.

• Like 2

Dany Dubé, the game color commentator on Montreal radio, said last week that the Holland deal was to accomodate a player for which the team didn't have any future plans.

I believe the same applies to Davidson. If i remember correctly, MB has said in the past that he would try to accomodate players to play somewhere else if they don't fit in Montreal.

overall, I think it is good for the organization to be seen as giving players a real chance to play in the NHL

16 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dany Dubé, the game color commentator on Montreal radio, said last week that the Holland deal was to accomodate a player for which the team didn't have any future plans.

I believe the same applies to Davidson. If i remember correctly, MB has said in the past that he would try to accomodate players to play somewhere else if they don't fit in Montreal.

overall, I think it is good for the organization to be seen as giving players a real chance to play in the NHL

Yeah, most teams do this, and it's the decent thing to do with a guy who is too good for the AHL but whose ceiling is low and whose slot you'd rather reserve either for up-and-comers or for a player of a different profile. Davidson is an inoffensive placeholder, almost the prototypical depth NHL defenceman these days, but he's a low-grade Karl Dykhuis, coming and going with minimal impact or fan recollection.

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dykhuis! That's a blast from the past! 

Ha ha, I remember Bobby Clarke basically gifting him to Reggie Houle because he felt sorry for him :lol: Ya know you're an atrocious GM when your Old Boy colleagues are treating you as a charity case