Blues @ Habs 7:30 Dec. 5 2017

DON

Ah, the Blues. In the league since 1967, yet never won a Cup. Nonetheless they have had, it seems to me, a disproportionate number of strong teams over the years, and have never, to my knowledge, "tanked." They're like the ultimate in consistency, missing the playoffs only five times since 1980. Unlike the Habs, they are often rated as contenders, yet - exactly like the Habs - never break through. Classy logo and old-school jerseys too, with some distinguished players over their impressive history. They have a neat name of the type that would never, ever be chosen in today's shiny super-corporate NHL. And they seem to be rock-solid in terms of the fan-base.

Kind of an interesting  and under-appreciated franchise, all things considered. Living in the Vancouver area, I find myself wondering if their fans are as whiny and self-pitying as Canucks fans, who feel tragically hard done-by by the fact that they've never won. Not totally unlike Canucks' fans, Blues fans are both privileged - they have a good team, year after year after year - and long-suffering - they never win or even come close.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ah, the Blues. In the league since 1967, yet never won a Cup. Nonetheless they have had, it seems to me, a disproportionate number of strong teams over the years, and have never, to my knowledge, "tanked." They're like the ultimate in consistency, missing the playoffs only five times since 1980. Unlike the Habs, they are often rated as contenders, yet - exactly like the Habs - never break through. Classy logo and old-school jerseys too, with some distinguished players over their impressive history. They have a neat name of the type that would never, ever be chosen in today's shiny super-corporate NHL. And they seem to be rock-solid in terms of the fan-base.

Kind of an interesting  and under-appreciated franchise, all things considered. Living in the Vancouver area, I find myself wondering if their fans are as whiny and self-pitying as Canucks fans, who feel tragically hard done-by by the fact that they've never won. Not totally unlike Canucks' fans, Blues fans are both privileged - they have a good team, year after year after year - and long-suffering - they never win or even come close.

This was a fun read.

22 minutes ago, illWill said:

I wish the Habs had a player as terrible as Jori Lehtera to trade for Brayden Schenn back in the summer

There were multiple first-round picks going to Philly in the deal as well...

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Benn has tied his career high in goals. 

Who'd have thought that on December 5th, Benn would have as many goals as the three Norris finalists from last season (Karlsson, Burns, and Hedman) combined?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There were multiple first-round picks going to Philly in the deal as well...

Yeah but if I mentioned those then my post wouldn't have been as good.

They can have as many late first round picks as they want as long as we get a point per game center 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sbhatt said:

Back to giving up goals in a quick pair...and no sustained pushback since that happened.

The last 5 games show how this is a good team, a playoff team.

Games like this show they are not a contender.  Dominated up the middle. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Commandant said:

Games against big teams from the west almost always expose our weakness at center and general softness.

Tonight is the real test. Down by 2 with about half the game to go.Now is when we will really see what they're made of! 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, I've never felt like we've had a real contender, even when we were putting up the regular season points of one or making the conference finals.  And it's always been the same failing: the centre position.    

This is one of those games where it'd be nice for Max to show up and show some fire.  Won't hold my breath, but....it'd be nice.  And I don't mean laying in permimeter shots directly to the goaltender's crest for those of you about to point out that he has 3 SOG in this game.  I'm talking about cutting to the middle...going to the net hard and burying one.

• Upvote 1

Well, we're back in it thanks to a couple of goals by Weber! Now let's see if we can hold on...or maybe even get the 2 points!