Blues @ Habs 7:30 Dec. 5 2017

DON

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Deslauries has been a huge spark plug for this team. Crowd seems to be taking a liking to him 

I like him...hope he stays up for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

Had a chance, but we gave up a couple of quick ones and our forwards failed to produce a single goal.  Galchenyuk was back to looking lost, and of course the usual from #floatingcaptain in a close game where you need him most.  Hopefully this is a one-off and the team gets back to playing good hockey on Thursday.

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs must lead the league in goals that go in off their own players.

I wish that was a searchable stat on NHL.com, because it sure seems that way and I'd like to know.

Guest Stogey24
10 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Had a chance, but we gave up a couple of quick ones and our forwards failed to produce a single goal.  Galchenyuk was back to looking lost, and of course the usual from #floatingcaptain in a close game where you need him most.  Hopefully this is a one-off and the team gets back to playing good hockey on Thursday.

It's time to make a trade and Pacioretty should be the piece getting moved. 

It's perfect opportunity to cash in on a player who's contract still looks like one of the best in the league. After this year, the shadow will loom much greater about an extension for him 

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Nice fluky curve from Shwebs, I'll take it!

Are you Sir trying to start a Shwebs nickname trend in here ?  Cuz I sure am on board.  It's growing on me fast AF.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

It's perfect opportunity to cash in on a player who's contract still looks like one of the best in the league. After this year, the shadow will loom much greater about an extension for him 

Why is it time to make a trade involving one of our core pieces? It doesn't make sense to me why people want to trade such a good player when he is playing his worst hockey. He's obviously in a slump right now but it doesn't mean he can't get out of it.

The team needs goal scoring, always has, and I don't envision who we could get back to help in that area even more than him. Not now and not even in the near future. 

His contract will go up, as it should. Wherever he plays. 

On another note, I don't usually get involved in line mates when discussing how an individual is performing, but Pacioretty is playing on a line with Danault and Shaw right now. I like Shaw but am not a huge fan of Danault as a top 6 center, and I also think this "chemistry" thing with Danault is overblown. In essence, that's a third line he's on. I hear all the time excuses made for other players in such a situation and yet here he is getting bashed while playing with these linemates. The only conclusion I can come to is that he is getting singled out because of how good he can be in this league, and people are growing impatient during his slump. In my opinion, that's one of the worst times to trade him, not the best. 

46 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

On another note, I don't usually get involved in line mates when discussing how an individual is performing, but Pacioretty is playing on a line with Danault and Shaw right now. I like Shaw but am not a huge fan of Danault as a top 6 center, and I also think this "chemistry" thing with Danault is overblown. In essence, that's a third line he's on. I hear all the time excuses made for other players in such a situation and yet here he is getting bashed while playing with these linemates. The only conclusion I can come to is that he is getting singled out because of how good he can be in this league, and people are growing impatient during his slump. In my opinion, that's one of the worst times to trade him, not the best. 

Wise words re: Pacioretty. It's the same old story, the guy is streaky, and during his slumps struggles to do anything that impacts the game. It doesn't follow that he is a "problem" or that he should be dealt; and you're absolutely right that trading him in the midst of one of his worst seasons (so far) in years is nuts.

I have no problem trading Patches, because it's crystal clear that this core is not good enough. If we can move him as part of a deal that strengthens the core, then, we obviously should do it. But that is quite different from thinking that trading him is an end in itself. Again, he's not the problem.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
48 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Why is it time to make a trade involving one of our core pieces? It doesn't make sense to me why people want to trade such a good player when he is playing his worst hockey. He's obviously in a slump right now but it doesn't mean he can't get out of it.

The team needs goal scoring, always has, and I don't envision who we could get back to help in that area even more than him. Not now and not even in the near future. 

His contract will go up, as it should. Wherever he plays. 

Well that's how a trade works bud. You gotta give to get. 

Pacioretty's slump isn't going to affect his value on the trade market 

6 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Summer of 2015 was the perfect time to trade Pacioretty.

Diminishing returns at this point.

23 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Pacioretty still has tons of value. 

He does, but probably nowhere you think.

He's currently outside the Top 35 for left wing scorers. He's 29. Only got this year and next but on a great contract so he'd be a good rental for a contender. 

You can wait for him to start scoring again but then nobody would want to trade him again.

Deal him before the deadline you might find a really hungry team that wants to win a Cup take a chance on him. Deal him in the summer and he's a one year rental for anybody. Not really an ideal position there. Think you could get Adrian Kempe from the Kings for Pacioretty? I got my doubts.

I don't want Pacioretty traded for more reasons than I didn't want Galchenyuk traded.

If/when we have a contending team, he will be a good piece of the puzzle.

if we never become contenders, he can follow Koivu and Giontta and just walk

Guest Stogey24
6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He does, but probably nowhere you think.

He's currently outside the Top 35 for left wing scorers. He's 29. Only got this year and next but on a great contract so he'd be a good rental for a contender. 

You can wait for him to start scoring again but then nobody would want to trade him again.

Deal him before the deadline you might find a really hungry team that wants to win a Cup take a chance on him. Deal him in the summer and he's a one year rental for anybody. Not really an ideal position there. Think you could get Adrian Kempe from the Kings for Pacioretty? I got my doubts.

Adrian Kempe? 

Sounds like max might be missing Radulov...

https://www.google.ca/amp/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-max-pacioretty-aims-to-become-more-multi-dimensional-player/amp

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He's going to want more than $7M.

I my dream world pacioretty and a tavares-like center make $7.5M each from next year. After Pleks is not renewed

Guest Stogey24
12 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The only way I would trade pacioretty is if it was as part of a rebuild or if you think he is gonna play contract hardball. 

Bergevin will over pay to keep Max in Montreal. His main stay line is Shaw and Danault.... Pacioretty deserves better and he knows that 

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I my dream world pacioretty and a tavares-like center make $7.5M each from next year. After Pleks is not renewed

You're not getting a Tavares-like center for 7.5.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He's going to want more than $7M.

You have to deal him if he wants big money.  A guy who shows up for only half the games, and all but disappears in the playoffs, is not worth splurging on.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What would Patches get on the open market? Any guesses? Who are his 'comparables?'

Best comparable I can think of is Phil Kessel. Elite level scorer who needs to not be "The guy". Kessel got 7 a few years back now.

Not sure what this would mean for Pacioretty.