Blues @ Habs 7:30 Dec. 5 2017

DON

Pacioretty is not going to cash in unless he starts performing to standard. It's a catch-22. In a way, if he ends up performing to his capability, he deserves 6-7 million. As of this moment right now, I truly believe that Pacioretty wouldn't believe he himself is worth that money if he were to be thinking about it. (Good thing he's making ~4 mil) Not that it would matter to his agent what Pacioretty thinks. Regardless, I expect him to return to form and when he does, he should definitely be worth somewhere between 6-7 million on the open market. 

Finally, if and when this team does make the playoffs, I want Pacioretty on this team unlike too many people. 

30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Pacioretty is not going to cash in unless he starts performing to standard. It's a catch-22. In a way, if he ends up performing to his capability, he deserves 6-7 million. As of this moment right now, I truly believe that Pacioretty wouldn't believe he himself is worth that money if he were to be thinking about it. (Good thing he's making ~4 mil) Not that it would matter to his agent what Pacioretty thinks. Regardless, I expect him to return to form and when he does, he should definitely be worth somewhere between 6-7 million on the open market. 

Finally, if and when this team does make the playoffs, I want Pacioretty on this team unlike too many people. 

In the event that he hits the open market (which won't happen), his performance this season will be completely irrelevant. He is solidly established as a 30+ goal scorer who plays a decent two-way game. Plus he was captain in one of the league's most demanding markets. The GMs will open their wallets.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In the event that he hits the open market (which won't happen), his performance this season will be completely irrelevant. He is solidly established as a 30+ goal scorer who plays a decent two-way game. Plus he was captain in one of the league's most demanding markets. The GMs will open their wallets.

No doubt about it, but the worry for me isn't if Pacioretty deserves and gets 6 or 7 million on a future contract. It would be the scenario where some GM offers him 8 or 9 million that would concern me. Foresight of that situation would be the only viable reason for his upcoming contract to be a concern when discussing him in potential trade talks. 

If he does peform well this year, I think it's more likely that some other GM does overpay for him, if only slightly. That's all. 

If he doesn't perform, it seems many want him traded at his lowest value. 

Catch-22

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What would Patches get on the open market? Any guesses? Who are his 'comparables?'

Gaborik. 

$37.5m on a five year deal back when the cap was $56.8m. $7.5m per season.

With the cap around $75m when Pacioretty is a free agent, I'm not good at what the math would be, but it would probably be more than anyone would want to touch on Patches.

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gaborik. 

With the cap around $75m when Pacioretty is a free agent, I'm not good at what the math would be, but it would probably be more than anyone would want to touch on Patches.

I don't think he gets more than $7.5M/yr.  When you factor in his decline in production and look at what Backes, Lucic and Radulov got and I think that is Max' range now.  GM's are slowly starting to show some restraint with aging players.  5 or 6 years ago, Radulov probably would have gotten more $ and term as a UFA - even with a lower cap. 

10 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gaborik. 

Im not sure a comparison from 8 years ago is our best comparable here.

Patch is probably 7.5-8 per season now.  Not the 10 or so your post and level of inflation suggests.

Not a lot of wingers over that mark.

Heck kessel was a better scorer when he got 8x8 out of toronto.