GDT #30: Flames @ Habs, 7:30 PM

Commandant

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

Sickening.  I hate Julien's thinking in OT.  Put #27 and #41 out there and just go for it FFS.

Agreed! Pleks doesn't have the speed to be out there 3 on 3!

Also the lines to start OT was really bad. Chuck has had a ton of success in OT but he didn’t see any action instead Pleks who at this point has no offensive contribution at all.

Claudes decision making is starting to become concerning.

15 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

He really has been complete shit lately. Hope he gets it together at some point this year. What in the ####!

Me too. Until he is traded or retires, I will root for him to succeed 

15 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

He really has been complete shit lately. Hope he gets it together at some point this year. What in the ####!

Me too. Until he is traded or retires, I will root for him to succeed 

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Also the lines to start OT was really bad. Chuck has had a ton of success in OT but he didn’t see any action instead Pleks who at this point has no offensive contribution at all.

Claudes decision making is starting to become concerning.

Chuck played 2 shifts in the entire third period. 

It's sudden-death, 3 on 3 overtime. You score a goal and you win.

On a list of players I want out there trying to score a goal, Plekanec isn't even on the list because by the time I'd get to him my first two are well rested and ready to go.

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Julien thinks he has Plekanec from 2010. It is painfully obvious. He's trying to make him his Bergeron.

This what we we're saying when Julien signed on. He's treating Plekanec like Bergeron. Plekanec is bascally the #1centre on paper at this point 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

There's a reason why Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are struggling under Julien. He doesn't coach the talented "one dimensional" players properly. They don't fit his mold 

Guest Stogey24

Coach Claude Julien said the goal followed a lost battle for the puck along the boards and he made it clear that he blamed Alex Galchenyuk, who was nailed to the bench after the goal.

“A player has to do more than score goals … that’s for everybody,” said Julien, glossing over the fact Galchenyuk has only six goals this season with two in his last 18 games.

Julien added Galchenyuk has to be better without the puck and win more battles along the boards.

“In a tie game … he wasn’t very good tonight along the boards so that’s the decision I took,” the coach said about benching Galchenyuk. He played only 9:18.

This is starting to sound all too familiar   The count down is on for Galchenyuk to be traded for an older, more character driven player. 

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Coach Claude Julien said the goal followed a lost battle for the puck along the boards and he made it clear that he blamed Alex Galchenyuk, who was nailed to the bench after the goal.

“A player has to do more than score goals … that’s for everybody,” said Julien, glossing over the fact Galchenyuk has only six goals this season with two in his last 18 games.

Julien added Galchenyuk has to be better without the puck and win more battles along the boards.

“In a tie game … he wasn’t very good tonight along the boards so that’s the decision I took,” the coach said about benching Galchenyuk. He played only 9:18.

This is starting to sound all too familiar   The count down is on for Galchenyuk to be traded for an older, more character driven player. 

familiar to what?

4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Honestly Galchenyuk was putrid last night for the most part and deserves criticism, truth be told he has not been all that good this season in general but in OT when you have a guy who has had more success that anyone on the team and you play Pleks, that’s a bad call. 

Julien is starting to scare me with his decisions as the season has progressed and his handling of Galchenyuk is the most glaring one.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

He played poorly during the 3rd. He still should of been on the ice in OT there is no way around that. Not Plekanec for goodness sake!

Guest Stogey24

Benching a player is not a recipe for success. It's an old school tactic, that clearly does not work for Galchenyuk.

The guy had 4 assists 1 game previous to last night, now he basically doesn't even play The third, in a tie game. 

I don't like like Julien. I think his tactics are prehistoric, and the nhl has passed him by. Bold statement and just my opinion, but that's how I feel.

I've been saying for some time - Galy's days are numbered. Julien can't work with him,  or vice-versa.

As for the OT, look, I couldn't see the game, but CJ is a classic coach in the mould of the NHL from the turn of the century era: don't play to win, play not to lose. That means a one-dimensional defensive player like Tomas Plekanec (one dimensional, because he can't do jack sh*t offensively any more) is your go-to guy under all circumstances, while a one-dimensional offensive player is an abomination onto the Lord, no matter what the game situation is. Coaches like Julien may be slowly getting filtered out of the game, but it will take a long time before we get a critical mass of coaches who don't fit that mold.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've been saying for some time - Galy's days are numbered. Julien can't work with him,  or vice-versa.

As for the OT, look, I couldn't see the game, but CJ is a classic coach in the mould of the NHL from the turn of the century era: don't play to win, play not to lose. That means a one-dimensional defensive player like Tomas Plekanec (one dimensional, because he can't do jack sh*t offensively any more) is your go-to guy under all circumstances, while a one-dimensional offensive player is an abomination onto the Lord, no matter what the game situation is. Coaches like Julien may be slowly getting filtered out of the game, but it will take a long time before we get a critical mass of coaches who don't fit that mold.

Plekanec 0:15/game on the PP this year.

10th on team in icetime/game.

He and Shaw play same icetime/game.

He is #1 on the PK and on faceoffs though.

Guest Stogey24
5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs should have went a different direction in the coaching department( Gallant). Instead Bergevin went with his old boy mentality and brought in a coach who had literally just been fired because he can't coach young talent. 

We have the best goalie in the world in net. Why The #### did we pay him 10.5 million a year, if we're still going to focus on defense over scoring goals? 

31 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

He played poorly during the 3rd. He still should of been on the ice in OT there is no way around that. Not Plekanec for goodness sake!

Its one or the other for me.

Either you play a guy in regulation and give him more than 9 minutes cause he has offensive skill and you want to win.

Or you dont trust him and he stays off the ice.

I would do the former and think 9 minutes is far too little.  

But when the guy hasnt played in 45 minutes i understand not putting him on the ice in OT.

That said... plekanec isnt the guy either.

3 on 3... i would start every ot with Paul byron but thats me.

As for plekanec.  He 100% should not start OT.  I agree there.

That said.  His line had been dominating possession 5v5 all season long, while playing heavy dzone minutes and against other teams top lines.  Hes a big part of gallaghers success this year.  His cap hit means nothing to me since we have so much cap space   fact is that hes played well and is an important part of the club.

Again though i would start Byron in OT 

Id also start Petry over Weber in OT.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

As for plekanec.  He 100% should not start OT.  I agree there.

That said.  His line had been dominating possession 5v5 all season long, while playing heavy dzone minutes and against other teams top lines.  Hes a big part of gallaghers success this year.  His cap hit means nothing to me since we have so much cap space   fact is that hes played well and is an important part of the club.

Again though i would start Byron in OT 

Id also start Petry over Weber in OT.

Petry has been noticeable in every OT he's played in this season, and I don't mean that positively.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why, are Neely and Chirelli working for the Habs now?

Because  Galchenyuk plays to score and win games  while  Julien coaches not to lose games.