GDT #30: Flames @ Habs, 7:30 PM

Commandant

It wasn't Pleks on the ice on OT that cost Montreal. It was Pacs.

His decision to try and win that puck in the offensive zone was atrocious.. it's a 2 on 1 of you lose it.. then his backcheck was even worse.. skates to the net and forgets about the third guy who then scored.. 

i dont know know who the D was (Petry?) but he had taken away the pass to the 2nd flame, if Pacs stays with Monahan then the guy with the puck would have had to shoot on Price and that's likely a save

Chucky was benched after losing a battle in a tie game, what happens to Pacs when he loses one and it costs the Habs the game? 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

As for plekanec.  He 100% should not start OT.  I agree there.

That said.  His line had been dominating possession 5v5 all season long, while playing heavy dzone minutes and against other teams top lines.  Hes a big part of gallaghers success this year.  His cap hit means nothing to me since we have so much cap space   fact is that hes played well and is an important part of the club.

Again though i would start Byron in OT 

Id also start Petry over Weber in OT.

I agree. He isn't producing, but I like the way he has been playing also. Also would not start ot with him. 

7 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

His decision to try and win that puck in the offensive zone was atrocious.. it's a 2 on 1 of you lose it.. then his backcheck was even worse.. skates to the net and forgets about the third guy who then scored.. 

i dont know know who the D was (Petry?) but he had taken away the pass to the 2nd flame, if Pacs stays with Monahan then the guy with the puck would have had to shoot on Price and that's likely a save

Chucky was benched after losing a battle in a tie game, what happens to Pacs when he loses one and it costs the Habs the game? 

SO max is supposed to leave the 2nd guy open on a two on 1? You hitting the liquor early today or something?

His back check, he caught the 2nd guy on a two on one and you are bitching about that?

A d-man is blamed for a 2 on 1 pass to a 3rd player trailing the play?

Galchneyuk was benched for play in this game and moreso the Blues game as well; because the repeated coaching requests just arnt getting through to him.

Danault not mentioned? So I must ask...did you even watch the play? And even that I don't blame him, they just about had a 2 on none in front of no-name goalie, such is 3 on 3.

16 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Pacioretty played a strong game. He battled all night. I don't think I would bench him. Chucky had not looked good all year. 

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Benching a player is not a recipe for success. It's an old school tactic, that clearly does not work for Galchenyuk.

The guy had 4 assists 1 game previous to last night, now he basically doesn't even play The third, in a tie game. 

I don't like like Julien. I think his tactics are prehistoric, and the nhl has passed him by. Bold statement and just my opinion, but that's how I feel.

So in pre-season he was too hard on Galchenyuk, is that why he was terrible and seemed to float through the games in Sept and is only on pace for a 45pt season?

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

The Habs should have went a different direction in the coaching department( Gallant).

Grass is always greener..last year it was Bouche that they should of hired...

27 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Because  Galchenyuk plays to score and win games  while  Julien coaches not to lose games.

Foolishness.

38 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Petry has been noticeable in every OT he's played in this season, and I don't mean that positively.

Petry played that perfectly last night.  The two forwards on the ice? Not so much. 

The big thing in 3 on 3 is all the open ice and room to skate, which is why i favor a guy like Byron up front and Petry on D. 

Guest Stogey24
17 minutes ago, DON said:

Foolishness.

I never wanted Boucher. He doesn't even know the meaning of forecheck 

33 minutes ago, DON said:

Foolishness.

It's not foolishness.

Galchenyuk's game involves  a lot of créatives plays, dekes, saucer pass and general East-West game.

And Julien despises that.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

It's not foolishness.

Galchenyuk's game involves  a lot of créatives plays, dekes, saucer pass and general East-West game.

And Julien despises that.

Really, got a quote or did he tell you that?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

its all about being stuck to the French coaching rule. 

Most, not all, but most french coaches today are disciples of the Jacques Lemaire school of coaching. 

What is the Bowman, Babcock or the Quenneville way of coaching? I think it is rely on hall of fame players to help win you cups and make you look good.

We seen Bowman without hall of famers on his roster in Buffalo and he was less than successful.

Good coaches tend to have all-star players to make them look good and Bowman with Habs roster would likely be right where they are now...a middling team with little elite skill in the forward group and thin d-core holding them back.

Worrying about who played in OT misses the point, they scored twice on an AHL goalie making his 2nd start for a team that played the night before. 

If you can't put up 3 or more, against an AHL goalie, you won't win much. 

OT and shootouts are gimics, you'll win some and lose some. 

Win in regulation and you won't have those problems

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Really, got a quote or did he tell you that?

What is the Bowman, Babcock or the Quenneville way of coaching? I think it is rely on hall of fame players to help win you cups and make you look good.

We seen Bowman without hall of famers on his roster in Buffalo and he was less than successful.

Good coaches tend to have all-star players to make them look good and Bowman with Habs roster would likely be right where they are now...a middling team with little elite skill in the forward group and thin d-core holding them back.

I'm talking about systems

Babcock and Bowman and Quenneville do not coach the same defensive system that Jacques Lemaire does.  

They have defensive aspects, but they are also about puck possession and attack.  Lemaire was about trapping, causing turnovers and counterattacking.  Its a different philosophy. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm talking about systems

Babcock and Bowman and Quenneville do not coach the same defensive system that Jacques Lemaire does.  

They have defensive aspects, but they are also about puck possession and attack.  Lemaire was about trapping, causing turnovers and counterattacking.  Its a different philosophy. 

Didn't say anything specific about Lamaire (Brodour, Stevens, Shanahan, etc) or systems (which system 99 and Kurri played was irrelevant) simply that a GM providing a good roster with some all-star players is generally what makes a coach look good, without all-star talent no coach looks good for long.

Just seems that way to me.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Didn't say anything specific about Lamaire (Brodour, Stevens, Shanahan, etc) or systems (which system 99 and Kurri played was irrelevant) simply that a GM providing a good roster with some all-star players is generally what makes a coach look good, without all-star talent no coach looks good for long.

Just seems that way to me.

Sure.

What I'm saying though is that Julien, Therrien, Jacques Martin.  All these guys come from the same coaching philosophy which follows in Jacques Lemaire's footsteps.  Thats why a guy like Plekanec is the default option over the attacking players in OT. 

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

To Tyler Seguin.

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly.

He is atleast not looking disengaged and lack luster like he did to start the year, now his errors on the ice are something you have to live with. You can penalize him for looking like he is out for a skate, but this type of player will ALWAYS be susceptible to errors without the puck from time to time, not sure I understand the need to try and convert him into the next Datsyuk or Bust. You think Gaudreau got benched for the 2 or 3 blatant giveaways I saw him create during the game? Of course not, because at any given moment he can come down on a rush and create a scoring chance only players like him can. You live with and try to mitigate the errors, because ultimately there are only a handful, if that, of players who can do what Galchenyuk can offensively on this team.

We have to work towards trading him now, not because I want to, or because I even think it is remotely a good idea, because I don't. But because on the current path I see for him, he will suffocate to a state where his value is a complete joke, and seeing him traded for half of what he is worth only to watch him have a meteoric rise in a different market afterwards would be a double whammy I have no interest in dealing with.

Exactly the way I am sure Boston feels every time they look at Seguin in Dallas..

7 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Beat me to it, my thoughts exactly.

He is atleast not looking disengaged and lack luster like he did to start the year, now his errors on the ice are something you have to live with. You can penalize him for looking like he is out for a skate, but this type of player will ALWAYS be susceptible to errors without the puck from time to time, not sure I understand the need to try and convert him into the next Datsyuk or Bust. You think Gaudreau got benched for the 2 or 3 blatant giveaways I saw him create during the game? Of course not, because at any given moment he can come down on a rush and create a scoring chance only players like him can. You live with and try to mitigate the errors, because ultimately there are only a handful, if that, of players who can do what Galchenyuk can offensively on this team.

We have to work towards trading him now, not because I want to, or because I even think it is remotely a good idea, because I don't. But because on the current path I see for him, he will suffocate to a state where his value is a complete joke, and seeing him traded for half of what he is worth only to watch him have a meteoric rise in a different market afterwards would be a double whammy I have no interest in dealing with.

Exactly the way I am sure Boston feels every time they look at Seguin in Dallas..

When they fired the that idiot MT, and hired Julien, things not working by out with galchenyuk is exactly what I predicted.  He couldn’t work with Kessel, seguin, or Hamilton.  MB needed to make a change with MT and pretty much brought back the same guy in Julien.  He replaced Yosemite Sam with Elmer Fudd.

its only a measure of time before galchenyuk is more moved for a Peverly type player or another bottom pairing dman.

4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Patches tried to get the puck in the OF that Daneault lost. He was in position in the slot. He hustled back and overstated the guys on the 2 on one, tried to play defence and goalie at the same time and looked terrible, but he was there while Danault was still at the blue line...

come on!

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sure.

What I'm saying though is that Julien, Therrien, Jacques Martin.  All these guys come from the same coaching philosophy which follows in Jacques Lemaire's footsteps.  Thats why a guy like Plekanec is the default option over the attacking players in OT. 

What other centre option would most non-French coaches chose? Not that I ever would pick Plekanec for 3 on 3, or as Trizzak noted, he would far down the list. But, coaches "should" have a better idea than fans, who to run out there in OT or shootout.

1 minute ago, DON said:

What other centre option would most non-French coaches chose? Not that I ever would pick Plekanec for 3 on 3, or as Trizzak noted, he would far down the list. But, coaches "should" have a better idea than fans, who to run out there in OT or shootout.

Babcock almost always starts overtime with Auston Matthews.... you know, his most talented player and his best skater.

Its 3 on 3, put out the best skaters, all that open ice is exploitable. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Babcock almost always starts overtime with Auston Matthews.... you know, his most talented player and his best skater.

Its 3 on 3, put out the best skaters, all that open ice is exploitable. 

Actually he didn't vs Flames, did he?

(Does NHL.com have the shifts?)