Dec. 9, Oilers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Fire/maim/kill Bergevin, trade Casperetty, take it to the streets and riot ect, ect, ect.

I'm too beaten down mentally by this bunch to produce a real rant...they don't care, why should I.

31 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Fire/maim/kill Bergevin, trade Casperetty, take it to the streets and riot ect, ect, ect.

I'm too beaten down mentally by this bunch to produce a real rant...they don't care, why should I.

Hahahaha! We're such sluts!!

Now ..multiply this by 60 years and you know what it must feel like to be a lifetime Leafer. 

And people wonder why there's drug addiction in  Toronto...

9 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Hahahaha! We're such sluts!!

Now ..multiply this by 60 years and you know what it must feel like to be a lifetime Leafer. 

And people wonder why there's drug addiction in  Toronto...

There are studies that show a series of microdoses of magic mushrooms can cure depression.  If this season continues to be dismal, I might be tempted...

• Upvote 1

I am glad I missed this one. 

Right now, I'm like: let's trade Price, let's beg Markov to come back, let's conjure the forum phantoms, let's... let's 

:scared:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

There are studies that show a series of microdoses of magic mushrooms can cure depression.  If this season continues to be dismal, I might be tempted...

"microdoses"

*coughs

*eats an eighth.

It's really quite simple. When Price is close to or at his peak, this is a solid playoff team good for one or two rounds before getting eliminated. 

When Price is merely average, or when someone other than Price is in net over a number of games - even if he plays well - they are a bottom-tier team that can't fight its way out of tissue paper.

It's Price + nothing.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's really quite simple. When Price is close to or at his peak, this is a solid playoff team good for one or two rounds before getting eliminated. 

When Price is merely average, or when someone other than Price is in net over a number of games - even if he plays well - they are a bottom-tier team that can't fight its way out of tissue paper.

It's Price + nothing.

I honestly don't understand why he resiged here 

7 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

He seems to have drunk the Kool-Aid. That said, Price has always seemed an odd duck, an unusually thoughtful and grounded player. He may honestly like Montreal and want to raise his family there, etc.. And I suspect that he has defined his career goal, not just as winning a Cup, but as bringing the Cup back to Montreal. It's a noble goal worthy of the great player he is, and maybe he isn't yet prepared to surrender it.

In terms of actually achieving that goal, it does seem more and more that some swing-for-the-fences move for Tavares is the only foreseeable chance. Help us, John Tavares, you're our only hope.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... it does seem more and more that some swing-for-the-fences move for Tavares is the only foreseeable chance. Help us, John Tavares, you're our only hope.

Ain't that the truth.  This team is going to be crap for awhile if this somehow doesn't come to pass.

6 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Ain't that the truth.  This team is going to be crap for awhile if this somehow doesn't come to pass.

If by 'crap' you mean stagnating as a playoff team unlikely to make the final four, then yes. God help us when Patches and Weber lose a step in 3-4 years. One thing's for sure, Galy won't be rounding into his prime as an elite scorer at that time, at least not in the CH. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

My theory is there's pressure on the players to take long term contracts on the teams they are drafted to. I don't know if the pressure comes from the NHLPA or the agents, but it's there. In the mid-late 90s you had big stars jumping to free agency and signing short deals to chase Stanley Cups. It doesn't happen anymore. The last guy to try it was Marian Hossa. 

Imagine if Carey Price made this his last year as a Hab and then next year went to free agency asking for a one to two year deal. And once that's up, he hunts down the next team that can pay him for a short term gain to chase a Cup. Teams would completely re-evaluate their long term goalie plans if there was a Carey Price available in the summer.

Maybe it's just these guys don't live the same lifestyles of the previous generation and prefer to stay in with the family and want to set their roots. I don't know. But it wasn't a surprise he stayed. Most do these days.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

:surrender:

Sorry, that's not an option.

These are professionals with big $$ and maybe bit of pride to play for, so they cant just give up and mail it in for 51 more games...or can they? 

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry, that's not an option.

These are professionals with big $$ and maybe bit of pride to play for, so they cant just give up and mail it in for 51 more games...or can they? 

They will only mail it in when Price is hurt or having an off night. 

Guest Stogey24
49 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

My theory is there's pressure on the players to take long term contracts on the teams they are drafted to. I don't know if the pressure comes from the NHLPA or the agents, but it's there. In the mid-late 90s you had big stars jumping to free agency and signing short deals to chase Stanley Cups. It doesn't happen anymore. The last guy to try it was Marian Hossa. 

Imagine if Carey Price made this his last year as a Hab and then next year went to free agency asking for a one to two year deal. And once that's up, he hunts down the next team that can pay him for a short term gain to chase a Cup. Teams would completely re-evaluate their long term goalie plans if there was a Carey Price available in the summer.

Maybe it's just these guys don't live the same lifestyles of the previous generation and prefer to stay in with the family and want to set their roots. I don't know. But it wasn't a surprise he stayed. Most do these days.

10.5 million is insane money too. Price would have to be nuts to not accept the offer. 

4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

10.5 million is insane money too. Price would have to be nuts to not accept the offer. 

It's more than that.

$30m in the first two seasons. $26m in signing bonus so it's guaranteed. $70M of his eight year deal, no matter what happens, is guaranteed money. He can be bought out and that money is still guaranteed. 

So money wise it's fantastic for him. Price will be a very rich man. More than he is already. But career wise? Becoming a gunslinger would have meant a better chance at Stanley Cups.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's something sluttish about drifting around after unneeded dollars. Unnatural.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

One has to be a little insane to seek and accept such money. 

17 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

There's something sluttish about drifting around after unneeded dollars. Unnatural.

The tendency to "stay" arguably speaks to both the maturation of NHL management under the cap system - GMs now understand the importance of locking up their stars long-term - and perhaps to the maturation of player culture, such that running around for maximum money on the open market is no longer the all-important thing it seemed to be in the 1990s. (Look at Messier, trying to leverage an offer from Vancouver into a huge pay-day from NY, then getting stuck playing in Vancouver when he really wanted to stay in the Big Apple). I don't expect players to leave millions and millions of dollars on the table just top stay put, but the bias in favour of their "home" franchise speaks to a commendable awareness that money isn't everything and that family concerns and quality of life - liking where you are and the people you're with - has considerable value in itself, especially when you've already made enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life.

Torontohab, I don't agree that one has to be "insane" to accept such money. I'd do it in a split second ;) Why should it stay in Molson's pocket, when I'm the guy doing all the work?

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's more than that.

$30m in the first two seasons. $26m in signing bonus so it's guaranteed. $70M of his eight year deal, no matter what happens, is guaranteed money. He can be bought out and that money is still guaranteed. 

So money wise it's fantastic for him. Price will be a very rich man. More than he is already. But career wise? Becoming a gunslinger would have meant a better chance at Stanley Cups.

Price isn't a young goalie though. Get your money while you can. Injuries happen too. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The tendency to "stay" arguably speaks to both the maturation of NHL management under the cap system - GMs now understand the importance of locking up their stars long-term - and perhaps to the maturation of player culture, such that running around for maximum money on the open market is no longer the all-important thing it seemed to be in the 1990s. (Look at Messier, trying to leverage an offer from Vancouver into a huge pay-day from NY, then getting stuck playing in Vancouver when he really wanted to stay in the Big Apple). I don't expect players to leave millions and millions of dollars on the table just top stay put, but the bias in favour of their "home" franchise speaks to a commendable awareness that money isn't everything and that family concerns and quality of life - liking where you are and the people you're with - has considerable value in itself, especially when you've already made enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life.

Torontohab, I don't agree that one has to be "insane" to accept such money. I'd do it in a split second ;) Why should it stay in Molson's pocket, when I'm the guy doing all the work?

"a commendable awareness that money isn't everything and that family concerns and quality of life - liking where you are and the people you're with - "

So that's why my relatives keep moving away!!:o

2 hours ago, Toronthab said:

I don't care much about the game of basketball but I love the NBA off-season. Big stars hit free agency all the time and switch teams. The landscape of the league changes all the time. Teams right now are in an arms race to trade and sign big stars to take on the champions. It's so exciting. I wish the NHL could steal some of that fire. 

So that was another dreadful performance by our boys last night. It seems that these lousy performances are occurring on a more regular basis!

I'm getting the impression that we are doomed to repeat this lousy cycle of winning a few games, and losing a few games!  We'll continue like this for the rest of the season and probably end up with something in the neighborhood of 85-90 points which will be insufficient to make the playoffs, but it will show a semblance of being competitive to the masses.

I have a bad feeling about where this team is headed in the next 3-5 years!

• Upvote 1