Dec. 9, Oilers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

7 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I honestly don't understand why he resiged here 

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

My theory is there's pressure on the players to take long term contracts on the teams they are drafted to. I don't know if the pressure comes from the NHLPA or the agents, but it's there. In the mid-late 90s you had big stars jumping to free agency and signing short deals to chase Stanley Cups. It doesn't happen anymore. The last guy to try it was Marian Hossa. 

Imagine if Carey Price made this his last year as a Hab and then next year went to free agency asking for a one to two year deal. And once that's up, he hunts down the next team that can pay him for a short term gain to chase a Cup. Teams would completely re-evaluate their long term goalie plans if there was a Carey Price available in the summer.

Maybe it's just these guys don't live the same lifestyles of the previous generation and prefer to stay in with the family and want to set their roots. I don't know. But it wasn't a surprise he stayed. Most do these days.

I sincerely feel it's more Habs fans who have such negative thoughts about the team and management than the players themselves. I should hope this would be the case, especially in times of difficulty. Price knows he can't control who Bergevin puts on the ice and I don't personally believe he would necessarily have any doubts about Bergevin doing he best for the team, like some Habs fans would question. The Habs are coming off a playoff year and while there are better options out there, there certainly are worse as well.

Furthermore, even if he were to dislike management, which I don't believe, it certainly is easier to stay in one place. Price is on the most famous hockey team in the world, and certainly has many positive memories in the city. As has been mentioned by a few posters, it probably is a large factor in him having potentially not even considered leaving to another team.

I then again hold a personal viewpoint that the team who has had a player should have some type of inner lane in regards to resigning them. This was part of the reason I was disappointed that we didn't take advantage of having tried to encourage Radulov to resign during the season. Although I've seen it mentioned that he was never going to consider resigning in the middle of the season, I also saw similar comments from Bergevin's side stating that it was "too soon" to see if this was the "real" Radulov mid- season. As an owner, manager, fellow teammate, I would have certainly tried to plant some seeds in order to make him look forward to resigning. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't care much about the game of basketball but I love the NBA off-season. Big stars hit free agency all the time and switch teams. The landscape of the league changes all the time. Teams right now are in an arms race to trade and sign big stars to take on the champions. It's so exciting. I wish the NHL could steal some of that fire. 

I think I tend to prefer the parity in the NHL. The playoffs in the NBA often result in sweep after sweep. It would be nice if the Habs were the Warriors in such a scenario, but if the Habs were stuck in the middle, they'd literally never have a chance. In the NHL, most playoff teams have a chance. 

• Upvote 1

PLAYOFFS!

What say you Jim Mora?

"What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game."
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2017 at 6:23 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think I tend to prefer the parity in the NHL. The playoffs in the NBA often result in sweep after sweep. It would be nice if the Habs were the Warriors in such a scenario, but if the Habs were stuck in the middle, they'd literally never have a chance. In the NHL, most playoff teams have a chance. 

They don't have a chance now.

Parity gives the illusion of chance. Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, and Pittsburgh have won the Cup in the past decade. Five teams. In the NBA in the same span? Seven: Boston, Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Golden State. But because of overtime losses you think there's a better chance for Montreal to win.

35 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They don't have a chance now.

Parity gives the illusion of chance. Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, and Pittsburgh have won the Cup in the past decade. Five teams. In the NBA in the same span? Seven: Boston, Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Golden State. But because of overtime losses you think there's a better chance for Montreal to win.

It depends how one looks at it.

In the past 10 years, these are the NBA champions as well as their (Seeds)

Warriors (1)

Cleveland (1)

Warriors (1)

San Antonio (1)

Miami (1)

Miami (2)

Dallas (3)

LA Lakers (1)

LA Lakers (1)

Boston (1)

The NHL in the same timeframe....

Pittsburgh (2)

Pittsburgh (2)

Chicago (4)

LA Kings (6)

Chicago (1)

LA Kings (8)

Boston (3)

Chicago (2)

Pittsburgh (4)

Detroit (1)

While there have been more different cup winners in the NBA, the seeds of the championship teams have varied to a much greater extent in the NHL. It seems as though in the NBA, you can predict with some degree of certainty that the championship team will literally be a top seed. In the NHL, although less teams have won, there seem to be more close playoff series, as well as upsets. The NHL playoffs are tough to beat when it comes to entertainment, especially the first round.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It depends how one looks at it.

In the past 10 years, these are the NBA champions as well as their (Seeds)

Warriors (1)

Cleveland (1)

Warriors (1)

San Antonio (1)

Miami (1)

Miami (2)

Dallas (3)

LA Lakers (1)

LA Lakers (1)

Boston (1)

The NHL in the same timeframe....

Pittsburgh (2)

Pittsburgh (2)

Chicago (4)

LA Kings (6)

Chicago (1)

LA Kings (8)

Boston (3)

Chicago (2)

Pittsburgh (4)

Detroit (1)

While there have been more different cup winners in the NBA, the seeds of the championship teams have varied to a much greater extent in the NHL. It seems as though in the NBA, you can predict with some degree of certainty that the championship team will literally be a top seed. In the NHL, although less teams have won, there seem to be more close playoff series, as well as upsets. The NHL playoffs are tough to beat when it comes to entertainment, especially the first round.

That has more to do with the nature of the two sports.  In basketball, it's much harder for the less talented team to win a seven game series, while in hockey you see it all the time.     

MoLG was talking about player movement in the offseason, and a lot of that has to do with maximum contract length; in the NBA it's 4 years as a UFA, or 5 to re-sign, while in the NHL it's 7 or 8.  There's also the 7 or so years of control that the drafting team has over the player, which again is much shorter in the NBA.  I wouldn't mind shorter contracts in the NHL, but of course the NHLPA would fight it.    

9 hours ago, Neech said:

That has more to do with the nature of the two sports.  In basketball, it's much harder for the less talented team to win a seven game series, while in hockey you see it all the time.     

MoLG was talking about player movement in the offseason, and a lot of that has to do with maximum contract length; in the NBA it's 4 years as a UFA, or 5 to re-sign, while in the NHL it's 7 or 8.  There's also the 7 or so years of control that the drafting team has over the player, which again is much shorter in the NBA.  I wouldn't mind shorter contracts in the NHL, but of course the NHLPA would fight it.    

That's fine, but he also claimed that the NBA's system is so exciting due to the player movement. In my opinion, it is nice to see stars move around the league, but it doesn't change the fact that in the current NBA, there are still less than three teams who could actually win.  

Your claim that any team can win a 7 game series in the NHL is precisely why I am fine with "how exciting" the NHL is, especially the playoffs, and I think the NBA could use a little bit of that spice in the playoffs, as it stands. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That's fine, but he also claimed that the NBA's system is so exciting due to the player movement. In my opinion, it is nice to see stars move around the league, but it doesn't change the fact that in the current NBA, there are still less than three teams who could actually win.

There are three to four powerhouses every year. And every three years, the power changes drastically. Golden State was mostly built through the draft, and then got better with Kevin Durant. The Clippers and Thunder have at times looked like they were ready to become champions and just missed the mark. The Rockets look really good right now and might become unstoppable if they get LeBron. Cleveland is still strong until LeBron leaves. Boston, Toronto, both strong teams, with the 76ers stocking up on rookies and trying to get better. There might be powerful teams at top, but the power changes.

The thing is, the NHL really isn't that much different. The big difference is that nobody looks that great in the NHL. In the NBA, several teams look really great. NBA makes people say, "Who can stop x?" while NHL makes people say, "Who sucks less?"

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Do we really want a league where star players up and move all the time, and don't get identified with their teams anymore. 

Isn't it good to have someone be the face of a franchise for 10-15 years. 

Yes please. There will always be some players that stay as long as they can, but there's now a lack of top stars who chase championships before the age of 35. Everyone else can move around and chase championships. That creates excitement across the league. 

Personally I find the NBA to be the worst of the four leagues in terms of intrigue and excitement.  That is not a model that i would want the NHL to follow. 

Free Agents always going to the same teams and the bottom of the league has no hope.  Milwaukee for example... can't attract free agents, no hope of ever being truly competitive in the NBA.  Have maybe their best team ever right now with Giannis and company, but you know it won't last cause Giannis will go to a big market as soon as he can. 

As  Habs fan I never expected to have the expectation of reasonable expecations! I want it ALL!

And yesterday!

Does Saint Anthony find lost spirit and direction when we lose it? 

St Anthony ... please... :pray:

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

Personally I find the NBA to be the worst of the four leagues in terms of intrigue and excitement.  That is not a model that i would want the NHL to follow. 

Free Agents always going to the same teams and the bottom of the league has no hope.  Milwaukee for example... can't attract free agents, no hope of ever being truly competitive in the NBA.  Have maybe their best team ever right now with Giannis and company, but you know it won't last cause Giannis will go to a big market as soon as he can. 

I agree. Cleveland in the east. Warriors rockets spurs west. Every year. Meh...no surprises ever

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. Cleveland in the east. Warriors rockets spurs west. Every year. Meh...no surprises ever

Other than Golden state and Cleveland sucked for 40+ years, till 3 years ago they when got couple elite players. And if James gets injured Cleveland has zero chance of winning anything and Celtics may be back on top in East.

Since when is 3 years "every year"? You do remember Miami, Lakers, Dallas, San Antonio, Detroit, Celtics winning in past 10 or 15 years, don't you?

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Beginning of every season I can list the NBA playoff teams with way more accuracy than I can with NFL, MLB, or NHL. It just seems there is less parity. 

I think it is more that football, baseball have 30 to 50 players and NHL has 25 or so on a team and NBA has only 10 or 15 and if 1 or 2  are elite players who play most of every game, the odds are good you will go far.

My wacky opinion anyways.

you know the season is a gong show when Game threads start being hijacked by NBA parity talks lol.

But I will add that this season, the Celtics have at least made the East a 2 horse race instead of 1.

57 minutes ago, Link67 said:

you know the season is a gong show when Game threads start being hijacked by NBA parity talks lol.

But I will add that this season, the Celtics have at least made the East a 2 horse race instead of 1.

How bout those Blues Jays...they gonna blow it up?:D

4 hours ago, DON said:

I think it is more that football, baseball have 30 to 50 players and NHL has 25 or so on a team and NBA has only 10 or 15 and if 1 or 2  are elite players who play most of every game, the odds are good you will go far.

My wacky opinion anyways.

No that's very true. The key few players change everything.