Why does Trevor Timmins get so much love?

titanfan

I have always wondered this, to be honest - and I don't get it.  What has he done to deserve such high regard?  Is it because the Habs tell us he is great?  Is it because he has been around for nearly 20 years?  Then why hasn't anyone ever tried to poach him?  It reminds me of Bob Gainey, or MarcBergevin for that matter.  When Gainey got hired it was a constant barrage of "In Bob We Trust" - look where that got us...  And it sure changed.  When Bergevin first got hired - he was the greatest thing since the forward pass.  Hmmmm.    Yet somehow Timmins is like a god-like figure.  Yet Montreal has a terrible record of developing talent.  Terrible.  We have a virtually non existant farm system....    JUst sayin'!   

Edited by titanfan

There was a good discussion on drafting compared to other NHL teams in here the other day. 

here is a link

The reality is that the Habs drafting from 2003-2007 was outstanding, with the team far outpacing NHL averages and getting multiple high impact players. 

the 2008-2011 drafts were really rough. 

the 2012-2016 drafts have shown an uptick. 

Between 2008 - 2011 we traded away multiple picks, a first rounder in 2008, and seconds in 2009, 2010, 2011, as well as multiple thirds and other picks.  We really only drafted two decent players in those 4 drafts which is a problem. 

We have a real gap in our team in players aged 25-28 

That was a very good thread. I don't know if you have seen this article; it helped me revisit TT's records from a positive perspective : 

https://recrutes.ca/trevor-timmins-drafting-record-top-class/

(found the link)

Edited by alfredoh2009
Reposted with right link

Should do well with 1st and three 2nd round picks this coming year (seems obvious Sergachev will play 40gms). Maybe at deadline can get another 2nd for Plekanec? And 2nd picks seem to be the big trading picks if want to move up/down in draft.

53 minutes ago, DON said:

Should do well with 1st and three 2nd round picks this coming year (seems obvious Sergachev will play 40gms). Maybe at deadline can get another 2nd for Plekanec? And 2nd picks seem to be the big trading picks if want to move up/down in draft.

Timmins will never have the chance to work with that many 2nd rounders since we all know that  AT LEAST one of these will be traded for more character players.

• Upvote 1

I've always leaned towards development being the problem.  I haven't always agreed with all of Montreal's picks, but there haven't been too many in the first couple rounds that I would consider a "reach".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Timmins will never have the chance to work with that many 2nd rounders since we all know that  AT LEAST one of these will be traded for more character players.

If are still in 25th place come late Feb, Habs will be sellers. And already have enough bottom pairing and bottom six players so you could be wrong Joseph, will see in 2 to 2 1/2 months how she shakes out.

The division.

Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo are pure shit. 

Florida is behind us and Luongo is out long term. 

3 teams have to make the playoffs... so its Montreal vs Boston for third. 

They are not going to fall out of this race anytime soon. 

On 14/12/2017 at 8:25 PM, dlbalr said:

We had a guest writer evaluate Timmins back in 2016 which covered 2003-2013 with a favourable conclusion: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/09/has-trevor-timmins-beaten-the-odds/

Thanks,

That was an interesting article!