1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hudon’s Clutch

• Upvote 3

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why narratives are silly. 

"After the goal they look like a team that wanted out"

oh really?

So what happened five minutes later when they picked up their game, leading to Benn's tying goal and eventually to winning the game in OT.

Did they start slow? Hell yes.  No one likes that first five minutes of the game.  But the idea that it was the result of players "wanting out".  Thats a narrative to explain the poor start, and one that doesn't make sense when the team picked up their play after that. 

Most times a bad start is just a bad start, and its not about "wanting out" or some other narrative about a team not trying. 

The Devils were playing well.  The Habs were making mistakes in their own zone. That was what happened.  Not some narrative about the team wanting to be traded, or something.

P.S. Plekanec is clutch.

It was like 50 min of shit play by the Habs. 

Devils didn't get a ton of HIGH quality chances, but they controlled 90% of that game. 

1 shot on 3 PP's... Running around in their own end, no sustained pressure. That was a game that should have been a blow out. 

25 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Devils didn't get a ton of HIGH quality chances, but they controlled 90% of that game. 

1 shot on 3 PP's... Running around in their own end, no sustained pressure. That was a game that should have been a blow out. 

It's nice to win a game that wasn't deserved, as it's gone the other way this season at times. 

Watched it on PVR, and I am happy with the result.

Not impressed with how they came out of the gate, taking that penalty and getting scored on a 6-on-5 after a bad change.

Patches made some nice passes, it seems like he is putting more emphasis on improving that part of his game. Drouin, like Galchenyuk, tries to dangle his way through too many other player. 

Nice to see Price battling, and Hudon coming through big time.

finally, I like the 4th line. I don't know if it would be better with McCarron at center. DeLarose is done

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not impressed with how they came out of the gate, taking that penalty and getting scored on a 6-on-5 after a bad change.

Patches made some nice passes, it seems like he is putting more emphasis on improving that part of his game. Drouin, like Galchenyuk, tries to dangle his way through too many other player. 

finally, I like the 4th line. I don't know if it would be better with McCarron at center. DeLarose is done

Yes, seemed like two crappy teams kicking the puck around for an hour and a bit.

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Completely disagree. 

it was a slow start but the team came on in the second half of the first period. 

The devils had better chances on their PPs in the second, but outside of the PPs they didn't really control it. 

5v5 the Habs were better team IMO.

The Stats back that up too. 

All situations

Shots were 36-32 montreal
Corsi (all situations) was 76-69 montreal

5v5
Shots 33-22 montreal
Corsi 65-45 Montreal

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

DelaRose didn't even play last night (or Saturday)... so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

DelaRose didn't even play last night (or Saturday)... so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

:) yes, i knew he didn't play - once Lehkonen is back, there is no more room for him  :) 

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:) yes, i knew he didn't play - once Lehkonen is back, there is no more room for him  :) 

Short-term, there is.  With Mete off the roster, they're down to 22 players for the time being.  They can activate Lehkonen without needing to make another roster move.  That will only take them to early January but it buys them a bit more time to make a decision on who to cut/waive/trade (or wait for someone else to get hurt).

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Completely disagree. 

it was a slow start but the team came on in the second half of the first period. 

The devils had better chances on their PPs in the second, but outside of the PPs they didn't really control it. 

5v5 the Habs were better team IMO.

The Stats back that up too. 

All situations

Shots were 36-32 montreal
Corsi (all situations) was 76-69 montreal

5v5
Shots 33-22 montreal
Corsi 65-45 Montreal

Did you even watch the game? 

7 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Did you even watch the game? 

Yes, I watched all of it. 

And the numbers back me up on the fact that montreal played well overall, and carried the play when it was 5v5. 

Thats the thing with the numbers, they avoid our personal biases getting in the way.  We all want the Habs to do well, so there is often an element of personal bias in our perceptions of how a game is going, and that happens to every fan.  The numbers though, they don't lie about which team had more shots and chances... and 5v5 it wasn't particularly close.  The overall game was close as New Jersey did much better when the game went to special teams (reflected in the 5v3 chances and the Hischier breakaway). 

Guest Stogey24

I get you watched the game, i was just being a dick

Shots on goals means nothing. Look at the top 7 teams in the nhl for shots on goal. Carolina, Florida, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Columbus, Chicago, Montreal...Only 1 of those team's is in a playoff spot. 

40 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I get you watched the game, i was just being a dick

Shots on goals means nothing. Look at the top 7 teams in the nhl for shots on goal. Carolina, Florida, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Columbus, Chicago, Montreal...Only 1 of those team's is in a playoff spot. 

Its not just shots on goal.... its on down the list.... corsi.... scoring chances, etc..... The Devils had plenty of scoring chances on their pps, and the Habs didn't get much on their PPs.  But 5v5 the Habs were a better team. 

The tough play was the first 5 minutes and the PPs.... but it wasn't 50 minutes like you claimed, and it wasn't a game the Habs got badly outplayed in. 

Guest Stogey24

Funny how the team's I listed with most shots in the nhl, are grouped in the same area in corsi for.. Edmonton (1), Chicago(2), Montreal(4), Pittsburgh(5), Carolina(6), Columbus (10) 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not just shots on goal.... its on down the list.... corsi.... scoring chances, etc..... The Devils had plenty of scoring chances on their pps, and the Habs didn't get much on their PPs.  But 5v5 the Habs were a better team. 

The tough play was the first 5 minutes and the PPs.... but it wasn't 50 minutes like you claimed, and it wasn't a game the Habs got badly outplayed in. 

Interesting points about the stats and our biases made throughout the thread. 

Admittedly, I felt the devils carried the majority of the play, seemed they caused more havoc for cp31 than Habs did for Schneider and seemed to get more extended zone time, made better passes and generally weren’t embarrassing on the pp as well as having a strong pk. But I am a biased Habs fan. Felt Habs worked their way to even play as game progressed but now must consider this in a different light