GDT Thread: December 19 - The Montreal Carey Prices @ Canuckleheads

Patch selflessly doesn't attempt to score from the tight angle and get the monkey off his back, but instead safely passes over to Danault to secure the win...

What a bum. Won't shoot. Can't score.

(I'm sorry, we're contractually obligated here)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Patch selflessly doesn't attempt to score from the tight angle and get the monkey off his back, but instead safely passes over to Danault to secure the win...

He's a classy guy.

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Now that his asset value seems to be on the rise, let's trade this bum :rolleyes:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-van/2017/12/19/2017020524#game=2017020524,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

7g and 2 PP goals, awesome production; but grain of salt when consider who they played. !

Moving on up and tied for 24th place now and only 4 games below .500

Now on to sweep Alberta!:clap:

A mess of a game against a horrible, injury-decimated team. Kudos to Price for keeping them in it during a truly wretched first period that had me wondering in horror just how awful this team is. Fortunately  they got better after that. Petry's difference-making performance is a great example of what this team lacks; defencemen who can consistently move the puck like that (which he can't) make such a gigantic difference. 

It seems clear that the Habs' bottom 6 is actually very good. I always liked Carr and couldn't figure out why his game disappeared, but he is back and excellent. Deslauriers was a very good pick-up, he's just so strong and solid. Danault isva good 3rd line C. And so on. The problem is at the top end. Even at their best, our top-6 is collectively mediocre. With Drouin, Patches, and Galy all mired in funks, the team is simply useless. Hopefully the signs of life from those guys last night suggests they're coming out of their torpor and the offence can inch towards being below average rather than outright pathetic.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

15 wins

15 losses

4 skills competitions.

is what is, we don't say 2 OT losses is a win do we?

What next to debate? That the Sun rises in the East...well, no not exactly it rises a c-hair to the SE or NE unless live on equator?

82 points is 500 hockey. 

Traditionally, You need about 95 to make the playoffs. 

They have to go 13 games over from here. 

Thats the math.

You can argue semantics about how the NHL should do their standings all you want.  I'm going to go with how they actually do their standings... 34/68 points is 500 hockey. 

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A mess of a game against a horrible, injury-decimated team. Kudos to Price for keeping them in it during a truly wretched first period that had me wondering in horror just how awful this team is. Fortunately  they got better after that. Petry's difference-making performance is a great example of what this team lacks; defencemen who can consistently move the puck like that (which he can't) make such a gigantic difference. 

It seems clear that the Habs' bottom 6 is actually very good. I always liked Carr and couldn't figure out why his game disappeared, but he is back and excellent. Deslauriers was a very good pick-up, he's just so strong and solid. Danault isva good 3rd line C. And so on. The problem is at the top end. Even at their best, our top-6 is collectively mediocre. With Drouin, Patches, and Galy all mired in funks, the team is simply useless. Hopefully the signs of life from those guys last night suggests they're coming out of their torpor and the offence can inch towards being below average rather than outright pathetic.

Seems strange to complain about the offence after that game.

The defensive zone coverage in that game was atrocious, and the bigger cause for concern than scoring 7 goals 

Take out the goofy outdoor game and this team is scoring quite a bit right now.... all those goals against detroit... 3 each in losses to St. Louis and Calgary, 2 against edmonton and jersey and then 7 last night.   That level of offence should be fine for this club, but the defensive zone coverage has to be better. 

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The defensive zone coverage in that game was atrocious, and the bigger cause for concern than scoring 7 goals 

Why would you say that ?

Oh wait...

25487391_1661175810627902_41654919954309

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Why would you say that ?

Oh wait...

25487391_1661175810627902_41654919954309

Boeser is the real deal. His shot might be top-5 in the league. And THAT'S the guy they leave all alone in the slot!! Oy.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

82 points is 500 hockey. 

Traditionally, You need about 95 to make the playoffs. 

They have to go 13 games over from here. 

Thats the math.

You can argue semantics about how the NHL should do their standings all you want.  I'm going to go with how they actually do their standings... 34/68 points is 500 hockey. 

You guys were simply arguing the difference between win percentage and point percentage. 

For win percentage, his math was correct and for point percentage, your math was correct.

The NHL, and ice hockey in general, does go by points percentage so we are indeed .500 right now with 34 out of a possible 68 points.

With that being said, DON doesn’t work for the NHL and it doesn’t make what he said any less true when looking at it the way he was. The Habs do have less wins than losses, which is at best indicative of a borderline playoff team. 

Toronto made it in with 40 wins (42 L-OTL) last year and Nashville made it in with 41 wins (41 L-OTL). The year before, Minnesota made it in with 38 wins (44 L-OTL) and a few teams (Detroit and Philly) made it in with 41 wins and (41 L-OTL)

Nashville last year and Detroit and Philly the year before are actually irrelevant to the discussion since they weren’t below .500 in win percentage. 

In the modern NHL, it does seem that the loser point makes a huge difference in deciding which teams with sub-par win percentages may actually have a chance to make the playoffs due to an improved points percentage in comparison to their win percentage.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The knock on carr is his skating. Treading water a bit out there