World Juniors/Spengler Cup Discussion Thread

dlbalr

A pair of tournaments get underway on Tuesday in the World Juniors and the Spengler Cup.  The Habs will have a trio of prospects at the WJCs in Joni Ikonen (FIN), Victor Mete (CAN), and Ryan Poehling (USA) while Jake Evans will represent Canada at the Spengler in the hopes of landing a spot on the Olympic team.  Let's use this thread to discuss the tournaments as they go along.

StatTracker: http://www.habsworld.net/2017/12/habs-world-juniorsspengler-cup-stattracker/

Evans was on Canada's third line between David McIntyre and P-A Parenteau at the Spengler.  He was also on the second PP unit.  Parenteau whiffed on a great feed from Evans in the first.  In the end, Evans was held off the scoresheet in 14:45 of ice time but had a decent game overall.

Mete had an assist and over 21 minutes of ice time in Canada's 4-2 win over Finland while getting the nod as Canada's Player of the Game.  Ikonen didn't record a point but logged nearly 20 minutes of playing time himself.  Poehling is up later tonight against Denmark.

Mete also earned player of the game in the opener. 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Evans was on Canada's third line between David McIntyre and P-A Parenteau at the Spengler.  He was also on the second PP unit.  Parenteau whiffed on a great feed from Evans in the first.  In the end, Evans was held off the scoresheet in 14:45 of ice time but had a decent game overall.

Mete had an assist and over 21 minutes of ice time in Canada's 4-2 win over Finland while getting the nod as Canada's Player of the Game.  Ikonen didn't record a point but logged nearly 20 minutes of playing time himself.  Poehling is up later tonight against Denmark.

Ikonen had a nice screen on Finland's first goal.  I thought he got a piece of the puck before Heponiemi scored, but I guess not.  Either way he was in a good spot. 

Poehling not on the score sheet in USA's 9-0 win over Denmark.   Was 5-0 after the first and the US let off the gas here.  Easily could have been 12-15 goals if they kept pressing. 

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Mete was busy tonight.  Along with getting an assist and a +3 rating for the second straight game, he led all players in ice time with 25:36.

2 assists, no?

or did they take one away?

I had him assisting the 2nd and 4th goals. 

That game was incredibly boring. There's no entertainment in watching a team completely dismantle a grossly inferior team. It makes you wonder about how many dull games must have marked the Habs' dynasty era...despite all the great talent on those teams, MTL-WSH must have been like watching the Hulk beat on a 90-lb weakling for 60 minutes.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That game was incredibly boring. There's no entertainment in watching a team completely dismantle a grossly inferior team. It makes you wonder about how many dull games must have marked the Habs' dynasty era...despite all the great talent on those teams, MTL-WSH must have been like watching the Hulk beat on a 90-lb weakling for 60 minutes.

I will gladly watch the Habs play that particular brand of boring hockey for the next 6 months, please and thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I will gladly watch the Habs play that particular brand of boring hockey for the next 6 months, please and thank you. 

Well, you'll notice that I didn't suggest that watching the current joke of a Habs team is NOT boring :lol: But yeah, I'm with you.

Whoever decided that hockey game should be played outdoors deserves to be shot. 

Two fast, skilled hockey teams and we took all the skill and fun out of the game. 

Compare that to last year's gold medal game and its night and day.... Last year was a tremendous hockey game.... that game was shit. 

• Upvote 1

After spending the previous two games as the 13th forward, Jake Evans was back on the third line today in Canada's game against the Swiss National Team at the Spengler Cup.  Nice to see him get a bit more ice time in the end but it's pretty safe to say he's not making the Olympic team now.