World Juniors/Spengler Cup Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Canada might have gotten lucky to avoid the US in the gold medal game.  Gotta take care of business against Sweden though!

Bahh... the US was not impressive in this tournament before this game. 

Meh, they beat Canada in a shootout, while playing a game in a Blizzard. 

I think Sweden is the tougher match-up and deserve to be in this game.  I think Canada can beat them, but I'm not sure Canada is lucky to play them instead of the US. 

Sweden's top line has been the best line in the tournament. Dahlin has been the best D.  Gustavsson has been as good as any goalie.  Canada will have to beat them with depth.  Do what they did to the czechs yesterday, role four lines of relentless speed and wear down a team that cant match that depth. 

6 minutes ago, DON said:

I wonder why Sweden is awesome in non-gold medal games, but just not clutch or they fold on big stage?

Sweden needs clutch in their water. 

I dont know about the World Juniors but I think they’ve won some big gold medal games in the recent past at various levels, no?

1-1 heading into the 3rd. :canada:

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sweden needs clutch in their water. 

I dont know about the World Juniors but I think they’ve won some big gold medal games in the recent past at various levels, no?

1-1 heading into the 3rd. :canada:

World Juniors only, haven't they won 43 straight round robin games or something like that? Then only 1 Gold ever.

35 minutes ago, DON said:

World Juniors only, haven't they won 43 straight round robin games or something like that? Then only 1 Gold ever.

Yeah I did hear about their 44/45 game win streak in the Round Robin. Must be a combination of things as they did play well enough to win tonight as well. 

NYR prospect Lias Andersson tossed his silver medal into the crowd and is getting crucified by Canadian media for "lack of class."

When asked about it afterward, he said he doesn't want it, and still has his silver medal from his u-18 tournament 2 years ago and he hasn't looked at it since. 

Baller move, kid. Gold or bust. 

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

NYR prospect Lias Andersson tossed his silver medal into the crowd and is getting crucified by Canadian media for "lack of class."

When asked about it afterward, he said he doesn't want it, and still has his silver medal from his u-18 tournament 2 years ago and he hasn't looked at it since. 

I dunno, I think there's classier ways to get rid of a medal than making a spectacle of it IMO.  You can let the winners have their moment, and then quietly give it away after the fact.

37 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

I dunno, I think there's classier ways to get rid of a medal than making a spectacle of it IMO.  You can let the winners have their moment, and then quietly give it away after the fact.

Agreed. I get where the kid was coming from, but it almost felt disrespectful to the tournament itself. You can be an all-in competitor and still show some class.

Seeing the losers openly weeping is painful to watch, but great win for Canada and one hell of a hockey game. The quality of play underscored still further what we are being denied by the NHL's deplorable failure to participate in the Olympics.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Mete was on the ice for 0 goals against all tournament at even strength.

He was also often Canada's top or second top most played player. 

Connor Timmins seemed to me pretty clearly the alpha male on that blue-line., and seeing Mete paired with him reminded me a bit of Mete-Weber. But that's the interesting thing about Mete - he may be second banana, but he appears to have a knack of getting himself paired with the first banana. Bodes quite well for him as a top-4 NHL d-man of the future for sure.

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

That's exactly the type of kid I want on the habs.  Don't care about the clowns in the canadian media.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. I get where the kid was coming from, but it almost felt disrespectful to the tournament itself. You can be an all-in competitor and still show some class.

Seeing the losers openly weeping is painful to watch, but great win for Canada and one hell of a hockey game. The quality of play underscored still further what we are being denied by the NHL's deplorable failure to participate in the Olympics.

Connor Timmins seemed to me pretty clearly the alpha male on that blue-line., and seeing Mete paired with him reminded me a bit of Mete-Weber. But that's the interesting thing about Mete - he may be second banana, but he appears to have a knack of getting himself paired with the first banana. Bodes quite well for him as a top-4 NHL d-man of the future for sure.

I want the player who throws away the medal than the kids who are crying.  i want the guy who is angry with losing, not the "boo hoo, boo hoo, i'm so sad and disappointed we lost".

I remember Chelios refusing to shake hands in the playoffs - that was also considered not classy.  But i'd rather have that than the "Woe is Us/I'm so sad" crybaby.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I want the player who throws away the medal than the kids who are crying.  i want the guy who is angry with losing, not the "boo hoo, boo hoo, i'm so sad and disappointed we lost".

I remember Chelios refusing to shake hands in the playoffs - that was also considered not classy.  But i'd rather have that than the "Woe is Us/I'm so sad" crybaby.

Well Andersson did both... he tossed his medal and looked weepy and distraught over the loss (of the game, not the medal.)

Seems to me they are both reactions to being ultra-competitive. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well Andersson did both... he tossed his medal and looked weepy and distraught over the loss (of the game, not the medal.)

Seems to me they are both reactions to being ultra-competitive. 

Agreed.  But I liked that he showed the anger over losing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like Russell Westbrook with OKC thunder (I know NBA) but the way he was pissed at Kevin Durant for leaving and that mean face thing he does and the: "my only friend on the court is Mr. Spalding".... Man! put that on skates in a Habs uni PLZ!!!

Edited by ehjay

I'm certainly not saying the kid should be drawn and quartered. He made a mistake, and apparently the medal was returned to him.

However, I think people are confusing the nature of competitiveness, and implying that the Habs' current woes are a result of not having enough guys with an attitude like that.

Of all the great Montreal Canadiens, the only one I can think of who would have done something like that was Patrick Roy - the same guy who flipped the bird to the crowd and stomped off the team in a temper-tantrum that he has regretted ever since.

Bob Gainey, Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Maurice Richard, Henri Richard, Jean Beliveau - none of them would have done that. Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Mark Messier, Sidney Crosby - none of them would have done that either. For such players, a kind of internal discipline is part and parcel of what made them successful. The same is true of the best, championship-calibre players on the current team, i.e., Carey Price and Shea Weber. If you don't think those guys are intense competitors, then you're not paying attention. Heck, I don't think PK Subban, the other championship-calibre player the Habs have produced in the last decades, would act like that either. (The idea that he is a selfish punk has always been subliminal-racist nonsense.)

It is a false binary, then, to say that UNLESS you act like a childish baby when you lose, you are not a competitor.

No one is going to believe this, but I've read several articles over the years remarking that Pacioretty deeply wants to win and takes the responsibility for the team's losing on his own shoulders. That is part of the reason he is playing so badly now that the Habs have surrounded him with human garbage. It's killing him.

The Habs aren't losing because they lack character, let alone losing because they don't have enough childish babies who act out in public when they lose. They're losing because they suck.

• Like 1