Dec. 27, Habs vs Hurricanes, 7 PM

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Why are we talking about goals?  his job is to set up plays, and he's doing that. 

He's set up Lehkonen for 20 high danger scoring chances this season.  Lehkonen scored 2 of them. 

He's done the same with Pacioretty, Byron, Galchenyuk, and everyone he's played with.  

He sets up chances, if they aren't being buried is that his fault?

he's a playmaker, he's doing his job. 

The team has bigger issues than Drouin and moving him would stall his development into a centre which is what the team needs.  No need to continue yo-yoing people around. 

No, he's centre who's not winning faceoffs or creating goals. 

Shuffle the deck. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do wonder about Drouin's confidence. He came here looking to be a star offensive player, clearly believed he could be The Guy and clearly wanted to be. And yet he has 18 points in 32 games: absolutely terrible numbers for The Guy. You can blame his wingers, but he's basically had the best the Habs can offer (which ain't saying too much, admittedly). We can reference the "scoring chances generated" all we want, but at some point the results need to be there before a player starts to lose the swagger and confidence needed to be an impact player. He's 22 and being asked to adapt to a position - centre - for which he is arguably not naturally suited, in the highest-pressure market in all of hockey. At some point we really do need to ask ourselves whether we are damaging his development. I know we tend, for some reason, to think of Drouin as something other than a young player finding his way, but that's what he is, and maybe we should start thinking of him developmentally.

The other side is that maybe we are helping his development by giving him time to learn the C position.

The question is, at what point does the cost to his confidence start to outweigh the "learning" part of the equation? He has been put in a terribly difficult situation: asked to be the #1 C on a bad team that is nevertheless in "win now" mode, when he is not a natural C and is just a kid.

His first couple of weeks remind me of when Savard came here for Chelios.  Buzzed around a lot, had the fans oowing and aawing, but Really did not do much after that.  I don’t think he will be nearly as useless as Savard was (Savard was of more use behind the bench during the cup run),but I think this deal will look almost as bad.

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

No, he's centre who's not winning faceoffs or creating goals. 

Shuffle the deck. 

Shuffling the deck ain’t gonna help - we need a new gardener.

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Julien says “Galchenyuk came to play tonight” and...”we’ve got him on the wing but it doesn’t mean we’ll never see him at centre again if we have the need.”

"If we have the need"

Yeah, no need for Galchenyuk at centre. The team has Gallagher, Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon, and Carr capable of playing in the top six with only one centre good enough to play top six C in Danault but nah there's no need.

Every game I've watched of Drouin since November I don't see a top six centre there. I see an Alex Tanguay. There's just a stupid amount of pressure on him and it's clearly weighing him down. Doesn't help either to play with Pacioretty, who needs to get shipped out of town.

The only way I would continue Drouin at centre is if he's playing the third line.

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Pacioretty - Danault - Byron

Carr - Drouin - Hudon

Otherwise trade Pacioretty and move Drouin to the LW.

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Danault - Byron

Carr - Plekanec - Hudon

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

His PDO is at 94 for crying out loud.  

Its not his play that is the issue, its the lack of finish by linemates. 

I don’t care what his PDO is.  I care how many friggin points he gets.  Tavares played with bums for years and still put up points.  

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t care what his PDO is.  I care how many friggin points he gets.  Tavares played with bums for years and still put up points.  

Did anyone say he was as good as Tavares?

Why would you expect him to be Tavares?  Why is the 2nd leading scorer in the NHL, the comparison here?

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

"If we have the need"

Yeah, no need for Galchenyuk at centre. The team has Gallagher, Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon, and Carr capable of playing in the top six with only one centre good enough to play top six C in Danault but nah there's no need.

Every game I've watched of Drouin since November I don't see a top six centre there. I see an Alex Tanguay. There's just a stupid amount of pressure on him and it's clearly weighing him down. Doesn't help either to play with Pacioretty, who needs to get shipped out of town.

The only way I would continue Drouin at centre is if he's playing the third line.

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Pacioretty - Danault - Byron

Carr - Drouin - Hudon

Otherwise trade Pacioretty and move Drouin to the LW.

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Danault - Byron

Carr - Plekanec - Hudon

I'm coming around to the 'trade Patches' idea. He is lost, and I notice he is not blowing by defences on the outside any more. He's only 29, but I wonder about that - where is that extra burst of speed? He'd be a hell of a piece to use in getting back a legit C.