So we need to win 30 games out of the last 44 just to get to 96pts

Metallica

7 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

He was good, no question about it.  Not great, but good and at times very good.  But we always seem to settle for 'good'....the organization has to change it's mindset and strive for 'great', not just 'good.  We have to do everything possible to add great players to the roster, not plug holes with 'good enough' or 'character', and we have to demand a president and a general managers who's credentials are also great...not just good.  The Leafs are turning the corner because they did not settle...they went out and got the best coach available, a winner in Shanahan, and the architect of multiple Stanley Cup wins in Lamoriello.  The Montreal Canadiens need to follow suit if any of us are going to see a cup win before we're old and grey.  A hockey management neophyte is not what we need in a president...we need someone who has been actively involved in hockey operations before and can hit the ground running on day 1.  Of the names mentioned here, Bobby Smith seems to be the most enticing based on that criteria.  He should be one of many quality candidates interviewed; the search should be exhaustive, with the goal of hiring the very best regardless of stupid politics being paramount.

Blaming Koivu for not being Sidney Crosby is stupid, and always seemed to be the essence of his critics' position. But your wider point is entirely valid, and as much as I believe in Saks and suspect he'd do a fine job, your approach is the correct one.

Interesting that in the past the Habs did not have hockey men in the role of president. Think Corey and Dorion.

One name that strikes me as very obvious is Serge Savard. He's close to Molson, helped recruit MB, and has extensive contacts and experience, not to mention a pretty good track record in msnagement.

Serge would be an ovbious candidate, however due to his age I don't know how much interest there would be from his end. 

There are your obvious guys who would be interviewed, Patrick Roy, Vincent Damphousse, Bobby Smith, Stephane Quintal, and even Serge, to determine if he would indeed take on such a role.

Honestly I don't think anyone of those guys would be a bad choice, some may be better than others. But overall, I'd say for those who lack the experience of others, make up for it in the bleed bleu blanc rouge department, which can't be overstated. If you are passionate and devoted to the team and its success, you will always be invested to that end. 

When you combine a deep understanding of the game, its behind the scenes world, and passionate fandom for the team, results can be interesting. Thats what I believe the candidate should bring to the table.

I don’t know about the math you guys are doing, but the Habs are still in it. It won’t be until about the 60th game where death will truly be able to be pronounced. I was pessimistic heading into the season, and it doesn’t mean people are wrong but we’re 38 games into the season and 10 points out of the playoffs. People use numbers like 96 but maybe this year, a historically low number will get in. Right, then there’s the issue that we won’t get past round one anyway. I guess negatively is the only way to look at it...

25 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t know about the math you guys are doing, but the Habs are still in it. It won’t be until about the 60th game where death will truly be able to be pronounced. I was pessimistic heading into the season, and it doesn’t mean people are wrong but we’re 38 games into the season and 10 points out of the playoffs. People use numbers like 96 but maybe this year, a historically low number will get in. Right, then there’s the issue that we won’t get past round one anyway. I guess negatively is the only way to look at it...

To make the playoffs you will need on average 96pts maybe even 100pts. 

44 games left, habs have 36pts. Lets say to be safe 100pts to make  the playoffs. That means out of the 44 games left the habs will need to win 32 games, 32 games = 64pts + the 36pts we have =100pts. 

Don't forget the teams in front of us we will have to leap frog over also.

Thats pretty much what the habs are looking??? at.

• Upvote 1

The next GM choice should not be made according to sentimental value. We have no idea if Koivu would be a good GM although the thought of it would be amazing.

We should be poaching from the successful organizations of the past few years - Team Canada and TB come to mind specifically. I would throw the moon at Stevie Y if it was allowed. You could add PITT to that group. LA and CHI maybe.

If you want to bring in Koivu, that’s fine but don’t throw him straight into the fire. Bring him in to warm up first.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One name that strikes me as very obvious is Serge Savard. He's close to Molson, helped recruit MB, and has extensive contacts and experience, not to mention a pretty good track record in msnagement.

He's 71 years old and hasn't worked in the NHL in any capacity since 1995.  The league is a whole lot different now than it was 20 years ago.  I don't think he'd be up for the day-to-day grind that a team president is required to do at that age and considering most of his connections/relationships wouldn't be in the league anymore either, I don't think Savard would be a good candidate in any role other than an ambassador.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's 71 years old and hasn't worked in the NHL in any capacity since 1995.  The league is a whole lot different now than it was 20 years ago.  I don't think he'd be up for the day-to-day grind that a team president is required to do at that age and considering most of his connections/relationships wouldn't be in the league anymore either, I don't think Savard would be a good candidate in any role other than an ambassador.

Agreed.

Management needs to go young. Someone who has the ability to see value where no one else does.

For example, the Tampa system has gone heavy on Russians at a time when a lot of other teams have purposely avoided it (KHL, attitude problems etc.). They’ve thereby capitalized on an incredible asset for little investment.

We need a Habs version of this!

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

To make the playoffs you will need on average 96pts maybe even 100pts. 

44 games left, habs have 36pts. Lets say to be safe 100pts to make  the playoffs. That means out of the 44 games left the habs will need to win 32 games, 32 games = 64pts + the 36pts we have =100pts. 

Don't forget the teams in front of us we will have to leap frog over also.

Thats pretty much what the habs are looking??? at.

It’s not entirely true though. Minnesota in the west is on pace for 92 points in a playoff spot. Detroit has made it in with 93 points a few times and Minnesota has made it in with 87 before. Then, there have been other years where the worst playoff team has had more than 95 points. There’s no reason to look at the base entry in a pessimistic way. Right now, a playoff team will likely have to get 95 points, but it could end up being lower. The Habs do have to leap frog teams but it doesn’t change the fact that all they have to do is focus on their own path. This isn’t a debate as to whether or not they will legitimately make the playoffs for me, but it’s still possible. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Would you give Roy total control over the team???

Because that's what he wants. Thats why he walked away from the avs. 

I wouldn't give him the slightest consideration for any position with the Canadiens.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't give him the slightest consideration for any position with the Canadiens.

So once Habs are out of playoff hunt (which is basically now), will Molson fire him with so much term left at end of season, simply let him steer team through trading deadline off-loading Plekanec and whomever else is in demand, then make bigger player deal(s) in off-season with new GM?

Assume Brisbois or McGuire are most obvious to be offered interview, if Molson fires Bergevin.

Just now, DON said:

So once Habs are out of playoff hunt (which is basically now), will Molson fire him with so much term left at end of season, simply let him steer team through trading deadline off-loading Plekanec and whomever else is in demand, then make bigger player deal(s) in off-season with new GM?

Assume Brisbois or McGuire are most obvious to be offered interview, if Molson fires Bergevin.

I'm not convinced a change is coming.  That money is still sitting there and if their game plan is to simply hope Tavares gets to free agency and hand him a blank cheque, Molson is probably going to let Bergevin see his plan through.  And if that doesn't work (in early July), it'll be too late to make a change at GM anyway so Molson may let him have one more kick at the can.  Lots can change in the coming weeks/months though and if the Habs really fall out of it, he may not have a choice.

With regards to the term/money left on the contract, wouldn't it be something if Molson were to take the money saved in the budget by not spending to the cap and use that to pay off Bergevin's deal?   Some would probably call that poetic...

Just now, dlbalr said:

I'm not convinced a change is coming.  That money is still sitting there and if their game plan is to simply hope Tavares gets to free agency and hand him a blank cheque, Molson is probably going to let Bergevin see his plan through.  And if that doesn't work (in early July), it'll be too late to make a change at GM anyway so Molson may let him have one more kick at the can.  Lots can change in the coming weeks/months though and if the Habs really fall out of it, he may not have a choice.

With regards to the term/money left on the contract, wouldn't it be something if Molson were to take the money saved in the budget by not spending to the cap and use that to pay off Bergevin's deal?   Some would probably call that poetic...

Would you know how many assistant GMs in NHL could be a fit (speak French)? I think you mentioned Jets AGM is one eh?

On 12/30/2017 at 6:35 PM, DON said:

Would you know how many assistant GMs in NHL could be a fit (speak French)? I think you mentioned Jets AGM is one eh?

I had mentioned a Jets then-assistant coach (Pascal Vincent) a while back as a darkhorse for Therrien's replacement.  In terms of AGMs that speak French, I can only think of two off the top of my head - Julien BriseBois (TB) and Martin Brodeur (STL).  I think Claude Loiselle speaks French - he used to be an AGM with Toronto a few years back and is currently an advisor with Arizona.

Partway through this article is a list of AGMs as of last June if you want to look through who some of the names are.

Damphousse and McGuire were some of the final candidates last time around, who knows if they are still on the hitlist. Julien Brisebois is an obvious candidate, we have had him here before, he is familiar with this Market, has done some great work in Tampa, he might just be the most logical choice as a replacement.

On 2017-12-30 at 4:00 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I love and respect your positive outlook but watching these games doesn’t Instill much confidence. 

What are the chances then of a Martin Brodeur as GM? Certainly the pedigree and the language and the class. I’ve always seen him as cerebral .... can he build a winning team? How available might he be?

29 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

What are the chances then of a Martin Brodeur as GM? Certainly the pedigree and the language and the class. I’ve always seen him as cerebral .... can he build a winning team? How available might he be?

I'm sure St. Louis wouldn't stand in the way of him getting a promotion, especially in the wake of Doug Armstrong signing a four-year extension last week.  Does he really have the managerial pedigree though?  This is just his third year as an AGM and one of those saw him shifted to goalie coach for a while.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm sure St. Louis wouldn't stand in the way of him getting a promotion, especially in the wake of Doug Armstrong signing a four-year extension last week.  Does he really have the managerial pedigree though?  This is just his third year as an AGM and one of those saw him shifted to goalie coach for a while.

I was thinking the ‘winning’ pedigree. 

That said, he has always seemed intelligent to me and not given to irrational/impulsive behavior (ala Patrick Roy). 

He’s seen Stanley Cup teams be built from the ground up and knows what it takes to win it all. 

I don’t know if he has the skills to make the moves needed to build a winner, but i’d Imagine he has the resources to assemble a better leadership team than it seems Bergevin has assembled. 

28 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I was thinking the ‘winning’ pedigree. 

That said, he has always seemed intelligent to me and not given to irrational/impulsive behavior (ala Patrick Roy). 

He’s seen Stanley Cup teams be built from the ground up and knows what it takes to win it all. 

I don’t know if he has the skills to make the moves needed to build a winner, but i’d Imagine he has the resources to assemble a better leadership team than it seems Bergevin has assembled. 

He was also smart enough to recommend to Lamoriello to dump Julien 

Roy would be a good palate cleanser. You know even in success he would set the franchise on fire and whoever followed him would have to change everything with no survivors.

Brodeur is interesting. If Quintal is like Shanahan because he worked a similar job, Brodeur is like Shanahan due to the respect around the league and connections. Always liked him, don't know if I like him in a major position. I wouldn't hate it.

There's talk the Bowman's won't survive in Chicago if the Blackhawks miss the playoffs because the Windy City actually has consequences for missing the playoffs. If Stan is available, I don't see how he isn't number one on the list.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Roy would be a good palate cleanser. You know even in success he would set the franchise on fire and whoever followed him would have to change everything with no survivors.

Brodeur is interesting. If Quintal is like Shanahan because he worked a similar job, Brodeur is like Shanahan due to the respect around the league and connections. Always liked him, don't know if I like him in a major position. I wouldn't hate it.

There's talk the Bowman's won't survive in Chicago if the Blackhawks miss the playoffs because the Windy City actually has consequences for missing the playoffs. If Stan is available, I don't see how he isn't number one on the list.

I agree on everything except Roy. He was incompetent in COL and with his ego it would be like handing the team to King Lear. It is guaranteed to be a collossal disaster.

(The 'palate cleanser' metaphor is the wrong way to think. That was the only question mark abour MB for me when he was hired - to what extent was the contrast in personality with Gauthier what put him over the top? The point is, the GM shoukd be the best person available, period, not a compensatory response to the previous guy).

10 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I’d take Marty if we can get himnow rather than wait and hope Bowman will be available.  The hawks may wait and try to fire Quinville first.