SHARKS @ HABS, JAN. 2, 19:30 EST

illWill

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

Scott Gomez was center the last time the habs made it to the ECF. 

No he wasn't.

The last time they went to the ECF was in 2014

Gomez was on the 2010 team that went to the ECF, but that is not the last time they went. 

19 minutes ago, Chris said:

Oh, that's right, against the Rags i believe. 

Yep. The Kreider hit on Price. That series.

Worth remembering. MB inherited a team that went to the ECF within two years. And now look.

29 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Do what it takes to get a top 3 pick 

The team is doing that already ;)

There is not a veteran player on this team who should be rated untouchable, except perhaps #31. But surely the GM should be looking to add to young guys like Gally, Galy, Lehkonen, Drouin, etc., rather than shipping out those under-26 types. The point is to raise the white flag on the Pleks/Patches era.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is not a veteran player on this team who should be rated untouchable, except perhaps #31. But surely the GM should be looking to add to young guys like Gally, Galy, Lehkonen, Drouin, etc., rather than shipping out those under-26 types. The point is to raise the white flag on the Pleks/Patches era.

I would build this team around Gallagher. If only we can put his heart inside Pacioretty.

1 hour ago, Habber said:

Sergachev = 25 points with average time on ice of 15 minutes.

Drouin = 18 points with average ice time of 18 minutes.

Can't wait to hear people make excuses for him because everybody was yelling to get him last year..  

I think sergachev is very good. Offensively, he looks great. He also has the lowest defensive minutes VS top players. He gives the Puck to two of the top scorers in the league. And he looks terrible in his own zone. 

As Cucumber said previously, this team needs a new core. We do have a few decent young pieces but they are not the foundation type players to build a franchise around.

I love Price but I don't see any reason to keep him at this point. If we can get some good assets for him then do it, Weber and Patches too.

We need a core rebuild and those three guys can help start the process.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As Cucumber said previously, this team needs a new core. We do have a few decent young pieces but they are not the foundation type players to build a franchise around.

I love Price but I don't see any reason to keep him at this point. If we can get some good assets for him then do it, Weber and Patches too.

We need a core rebuild and those three guys can help start the process.

I feel the same way.

Its not that I don’t think Price, Weber, and Pacioretty could be part of a Stanley cup core, it’s that Mark Bergevin hasn’t built the team for what those core players need complimenting them.

Namely a mobile puck moving D core to compliment Weber, and help the transition game for Pacioretty while getting the puck out of the zone for Price effectively. But also a guy like Radulov who can create space for Pacioretty and Drouin. 

At this point, I just want a fresh start, and that includes management. I’m not trying to be cynical, as I can see some people thought from a few downvotes earlier, but if my team isn’t winning the cup I at least want them to be entertaining. Losing Subban, Markov, Radulov etc. is losing some of the most entertaining players we’ve had in ages. 

Restart, get some top notch youth in a rebuild, and move forward with peices like Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw, Danault and the next veteran group, and infuse Mete, Juulsen, Poehling, And Scherbak, with some new youth.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They're not as cataclysmically bad as they look right now, but they are bad. And like a lot of bad teams, they start games with some drive; once they go down, though, they lose any hope. It's a classic pattern of crap hockey teams.

I don't think we need a complete 'rebuild' in as much as we have some good young pieces, at least up front. But the veteran core needs to be changed. They've had their crack and have been proved grossly inadequate. Get a GM who knows what he's doing and start the major surgery.

A team of that collapses like the habs is when they are scored in is devoid of any leadership and character- oh wait; isn’t that what every move MB ever made was supposed to address???

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everyone over 25 should be moved and we should be going for a total Shanahan leafs style rebuild.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

a total Shanahan leafs style rebuild.

And that is what? Tank hard for #1 pick and use all the recent top 10 picks to build on?

As Kypreous rightly noted, Quebec fans simply wont put up with a couple straight years of suckage, so going the Leaf route of being basement dweller for years just aint happening. We will be lucky if Molson gives the OK to be a seller for this season and like some I am a bit worried they will make desperate attempt to bolster this team to make playoffs (should see which way they are leaning soon).

Reilly 5th

Kadri 7th

Nylander 8th

Marner 4th

Matthews 1st

They’re not going to bolster the team for a playoff run unless the Habs show signs of life. I don’t understand how the same people that think the Habs won’t win many more games this season are often the same people thinking our management team would try to bolster our lineup for the playoffs. 

All that hat being said, it’s not too surprising how the team has been playing. It was clear as day to some that this would happen based on our off season and then recently the team has had a bout of the flu and is without their top defenseman in Weber. Price also continues to play sub-par despite some recent praising of his game. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

And that is what? Tank hard for #1 pick and use all the recent top 10 picks to build on?

As Kypreous rightly noted, Quebec fans simply wont put up with a couple straight years of suckage, so going the Leaf route of being basement dweller for years just aint happening. We will be lucky if Molson gives the OK to be a seller for this season and like some I am a bit worried they will make desperate attempt to bolster this team to make playoffs (should see which way they are leaning soon).

Reilly 5th

Kadri 7th

Nylander 8th

Marner 4th

Matthews 1st

I actually disagree with Kyprios's assessment. It's true that the Habs fan base probably lacks the "RAH RAH GOOO LEAFS" crowd - the uncritical boosterism - that marked the Leafs' dark decades. These were the people that cheered enthusiastically for the Wade Belaks of the world. In other words, Habs fandom is probably, collectively, grouchier and more critical than Leafs fandom taken as a whole, or so I'd speculate. However, there is no evidence I can see that Montreal fans will cease to support a crappy team with their hard-earned dollars. It's true that the Houle years were not "tanking" years on the whole. Nevertheless, they were years and years of bad, boring hockey with almost no star players or charismatic players. The only bright spot was the Theo Hart/Koivu comeback season. And yet I don't recall row upon row of empty seats at the Bell Centre.

In short, I think Montreal fans will be grouchy about a tank job, but will continue to shill out.

We don't need to tank anyway. I'm spitballing, but I'd say that we need is to add to the young nucleus of

Galy 3rd

Drouin 3rd

Gally

along with Lehkonen, Danault, Hudon, and Carr.

Someone pointed out that none of these guys are elite. It's true that none of them will become top-end stars, but Drouin might come close and we know Galy can produce offensively. Four of the guys named above are (or in Lehkonen's case will be) legitimate top-6 NHLers. So basically, what the team needs to do is to turn some combination involving Max Pacioretty into a cornerstone piece - preferably a C, and preferably one who is relatively young. (If we do not manage to translate MaxPac into a 'cornerstone piece,' then a true rebuild may become necessary. He is basically our one remaining ace in the hole.)

The situation at D is worse. There, I'd guess the options involve

-waiting for Mete and Juulsen

-hoping you can get someone on the UFA market

-trying to trade veterans like Shaw/Byron (who I love) for promising young D

-the crazy scenario of moving Weber for a top-6 C and Patches for a #1 defenceman :lol:

So, my guess is that we can turn the FW unit into a promising young-ish combo fairly quickly with one or two shrewd moves, Patches being the crown jewel in this strategy.

Ride that, and Price, atop a ramschackle D, the patching up of which becomes the primary task over the next 2-3 years.

So what I'd envisage would be 2-3 years of bubble-teaming as the FW corps rounds into form and the D is patiently reconstructed. With Weber and Price entering their mid-30s, you have them surrounded by a team on which Gally is pushing 30 and a key veteran, and the C you get for MaxPac, along with Drouin et al., are in their primes. Plus a solidified D with good young players and maybe an impact UFA or trade acquisition.

And above all, you have installed a GM who understands drafting and development and doesn't make stupid moves based on his own ego and asinine red herrings like "LEADERSHIP."

It is always a pleasure reading your thoughts :1gohabs:

I have been wondering lately if CJ can be part of this. I mean would other coaches use Galchenyuk in the same way? MT got more out of him but then again MT didn't see him as a 4th liner. Is CJ's thinking/style the right thing for today's hockey? He clearly coaches to not loose instead of coaching to win.

I do agree that we can make a good mini rebuild in a short time frame if we make the right moves. I do however question if we need Price along for the ride. I guess that would depend on the level of return for him as I see his return being higher than most. People think his contract is an issue but I don't think it is, especially moving forward. As Commandant pointed out, Price's contract is comparable to other elite goalies relative to the cap.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It is always a pleasure reading your thoughts :1gohabs:

I have been wondering lately if CJ can be part of this. I mean would other coaches use Galchenyuk in the same way? MT got more out of him but then again MT didn't see him as a 4th liner. Is CJ's thinking/style the right thing for today's hockey? He clearly coaches to not loose instead of coaching to win.

I do agree that we can make a good mini rebuild in a short time frame if we make the right moves. I do however question if we need Price along for the ride. I guess that would depend on the level of return for him as I see his return being higher than most. People think his contract is an issue but I don't think it is, especially moving forward. As Commandant pointed out, Price's contract is comparable to other elite goalies relative to the cap.

Thanks for reading that post. It was a long one, so I worried that nobody would bother!

I like the way you put it. "A mini rebuild." I think many fans forget how many young FWs this team has. A comprehensive rebuild makes little sense in that context.

CJ: I don't know. I think it is a big red flag that our most talented players are all struggling under his tutelage. But then again, offence starts from the back end. Our puck-moving d-men are Petry (average) and Schlemko (mediocre). So we've basically handcuffed our offence with this incompetent D-corps. That's not Julien's fault.

As for Price, he is our Lundqvist. I really believe most GMs would keep him around based on "bird in the hand" logic, and expect him to be the constant linking the Gainey,  Gauthier, Bergevin and post-Bergevin eras.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for reading that post. It was a long one, so I worried that nobody would bother!

Most long ones lose me 1/2 way, but seeing as was you I thought I would read till end...couldn't do it (more due to being another lost season with all hope gone and will be a long time till (about 10months) the next meaningful game for Habs. 

60point Tampa vs 36point Montreal should be another one not worth watching, but will of course.