Who blinks first Molson or Bergevin???

Metallica

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There's a valid criticism of MB for sure, but I'm not so certain we should romanticize the Gainey era. For all that he had his players' backs, they still collectively quit on him down the stretch in 2009, with guys like Komisarek and Higgins mentally checking out and Kovalev pulling his usual existential crisis. The difference between the two cases is that where I always felt the players let Gainey down, I never once had that sentiment with Bergevin, who seems to think guys like Subban, Markov, and Radulov owed him a favour. (It was particularly enervating to read that MB was supposedly furious with Subban for driving a hard bargain on his contract, after MB had basically spat in his face by insisting on the bridge deal. :rolleyes: And it was quite telling that Subban repeatedly told interviewers his mega-deal was about "respect;" clearly he had NOT felt respected up to that point, and quite fairly made Bergevin pay for it).

When one looks at the cap hits of players on Nashville or most other teams, and players on Montreal, it begins to look to me that the 9 million dollar deal Subban signed was the number one reason he was let go, albeit for a nice return. Bergevin seems to be overly fixated on the cap, although Price's contract paints a different picture. Most contenders have a few players in the 8-9 million average cap hit range, and currently we have none.

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Weber is $200k away from $8 million.

And will be at that cap hit when he is an old man.  When I look at seabrook today, I get terrified at what happens if and when Weber’s play drops off.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Weber is $200k away from $8 million.

I’m not saying it’s a great contract, although I don’t mind it, but I can see $9 million having been too much for Bergevin based on the other contracts on our team. Right now, Subban would be $9 million and the second highest player would be Plekanec at $6 million. (Price at 6.5)

Again, even if that were the reason, he’s now signed Price to 10 million a few years later.

Weber is very moveable in the last years of his contract.

A floor team can add his cap hit while only paying a million in actual salary. That combined with the fact that he’s a marquee name will always have value.

9 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’m not saying it’s a great contract, although I don’t mind it, but I can see $9 million having been too much for Bergevin based on the other contracts on our team. 

1. That was Bergevin's fault. Could have had him for $6.5 million for eight years but he insisted on the bridge.

2. Subban making $9 million is not the problem. Guys like Emelin and Alzner and Shaw filling up $4 million doing a job a cheaper player can fill is always the problem. Pay your stars, budget your depth. 

3. Subban is currently a Norris Trophy contender. If he is nominated that's his third nomination in six years. Yeah that's worth $9 million.

• Like 1

What I was saying had nothing to do with whether or not Bergevin did the right thing. I just think that while people have come up with a myriad of reasons as to why Bergevin had any interest in shipping Subban out, it probably did have to do with the 9 million dollar contract. Right or wrong.