Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?

l<OV4L3V

Who is available now?

Guy Boucher, Sylvain Lefebvre, Guy Carbonneau

Who is available in the summer that is not avaiable now.

Kevin Dineen (assistant in Chicago)

Andre Tourigny (assistant in Ottawa)

Benoit Groulx (head coach Gatineau QMJHL)

Marc Crawford (head coach Zurich Lions, Switzerland)

Philippe Boucher (head coach Quebec Remparts)

Who might be available?

Alain Vigneault and Willie Desjardins both look to be missing the playoffs.

I'd tack on Pascal Vincent as a name to watch for in the summer that isn't available now. Assistant with Winnipeg since 2011.

Of the ones you listed, I'd be okay with Crawford. I'm not a big fan of Dineen or Tourigny, Groulx has a reputation of being 'my way or the highway' and he didn't fare well in his brief pro coaching stint, and Boucher hasn't coached enough in my opinion to jump in to be an NHL head coach. That's the type of hire for a Lefebvre replacement ( :pray: ) more than Therrien.

I like Crawford, but if there is even a snowball's chance that Vigneault becomes available, it's well worth waiting for. He is the class of francophone coaches IMHO.

And this team does not need a rookie NHL coach. We need someone who has been through the wars. Despite this year's bed-messing, this is not a rebuilding team; Therrien's replacement will need to hit the ground running, and I don't feel like waiting through a coach's 'growing pains.'

I like Crawford, but if there is even a snowball's chance that Vigneault becomes available, it's well worth waiting for. He is the class of francophone coaches IMHO.

And this team does not need a rookie NHL coach. We need someone who has been through the wars. Despite this year's bed-messing, this is not a rebuilding team; Therrien's replacement will need to hit the ground running, and I don't feel like waiting through a coach's 'growing pains.'

Vigneault would be great but we didn't hire him when he was available and no way is New York letting him go. He would be my first choice. Beyond that I think Guy Boucher needs another shot. It didn't work in Tampa but he may have learned a little in the mean time. I actually would rehire Carbo if I am going for a retread.

Vigneault would be great but we didn't hire him when he was available and no way is New York letting him go.

Therrien was hired in 2012, Vigneault fired in 2013. Unless the expectation was that the Habs would fire Therrien after just the one season (where they finished fourth overall), they never had a chance at getting him.

I wouldn't be so sure about Vigneault.

If that team misses the playoffs the coach could be gone.

They are by no means safe right now.

Heck a first round loss might be enough.

Seems backwards logic to me for one to think that he's the cream of the crop when it comes to francophone coaches and at the same time think he might be available at season's end.

If that's the case the pickings really do suck as far as francophone coaches. I know the game is changing but the greatest coaches don't get fired after their first off season.

I'm not quoting you on the former part of that statement but I agree with habs rule, he'll be in New York next year.

This thread got derailed pretty quickly.

Maximillian Pacioretty is a great leader. "Captain" is in his name, literally :)

Captain Maxiiimllotery

I guess some would say he was lucky to be named...

Very good coaches get fired. It happens all the time. So Vigneault's tenure ending in NY after a weird and disappointing season wouldn't worry me much. I watched him in Van for years, and he is very good at his job. Heck, I thought he was good on the first go-round with Montreal too.

Beyond that, he IS the best francophone coach around, so he should be the guy if he's available. Given our official policy of being an affirmative action programs for French Canadians, that's just how we gotta roll.

But Crawford would be a nice consolation prize IMHO - not that he'll work miracles or anything.

Very good coaches get fired. It happens all the time. So Vigneault's tenure ending in NY after a weird and disappointing season wouldn't worry me much. I watched him in Van for years, and he is very good at his job. Heck, I thought he was good on the first go-round with Montreal too.

Beyond that, he IS the best francophone coach around, so he should be the guy if he's available. Given our official policy of being an affirmative action programs for French Canadians, that's just how we gotta roll.

But Crawford would be a nice consolation prize IMHO - not that he'll work miracles or anything.

Sure they do but Vigneault has only been in New York for two years (now 3) and they have done incredible both years. Not to mention they probably will make the playoffs this season. Patrick Roy and Paul Maurice were hired the same year as Vigneault. Look for them to be on the hot seat as well based on this Logic.

I agree that Vigneault is a great coach. I'm just saying because of this I think New York gives him more rope than your conventional coach's timeline.

Guest Stogey24

Sure they do but Vigneault has only been in New York for two years (now 3) and they have done incredible both years. Not to mention they probably will make the playoffs this season. Patrick Roy and Paul Maurice were hired the same year as Vigneault. Look for them to be on the hot seat as well based on this Logic.

I agree that Vigneault is a great coach. I'm just saying because of this I think New York gives him more rope than your conventional coach's timeline.

As much rope as Therrien?

As much rope as Therrien?

Exactly. Even Therrien was hired a year before Vigneault.

Patrick Roy has a form of job security that Maurice doesn't (he's team president).

Paul Maurice is from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, does he speak french? I don't even know if he does.

Vigneault seems like a good guy, good with press and seems to have a good sense of humour; but, is he a good coach?

Or I should say, why is he a good coach? I don't know anything about his coaching and his teams seems to of had mixed results haven't they?

Bruin coach is more likely to be canned isn't he and actually has a ring.

Patrick Roy has a form of job security that Maurice doesn't (he's team president).

Paul Maurice is from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, does he speak french? I don't even know if he does.

Maurice does not (though Saute has a sizable franco population). Neither does French sounding Peter Laviolette.

Therrien was hired in 2012, Vigneault fired in 2013. Unless the expectation was that the Habs would fire Therrien after just the one season (where they finished fourth overall), they never had a chance at getting him.

ok

moi aussie

The point is just: keep Therrien so that you can fire him at year's end and have you pick of whichever bilingual coaches shake from the tree. Maybe none of the guys we've discussed will get canned, but if even one of them does, you've expanded the talent pool.

The point is just: keep Therrien so that you can fire him at year's end and have you pick of whichever bilingual coaches shake from the tree. Maybe none of the guys we've discussed will get canned, but if even one of them does, you've expanded the talent pool.

You don't even need one of them to get canned to expand the talent pool. There are at least 5 legit candidates who are available in the off-season but not today cause they are head coach of another non-NHL team, or assistant on an NHL team.

Vigneault seems like a good guy, good with press and seems to have a good sense of humour; but, is he a good coach?

Or I should say, why is he a good coach? I don't know anything about his coaching and his teams seems to of had mixed results haven't they?

Bruin coach is more likely to be canned isn't he and actually has a ring.

Came really close to cup with the Sedin Sisters and look where they are now.

This thread was about whether Pacioretty was a leader or not, how did it transpire into some rubbish debate about who is going to be the next Habs coach?

Mostly cause everyone is pissed off and want to vent. Le Genius is a really good target. My opinion which has been stated many times is making Patches captain was a mistake. The 4 A's worked and should have been left alone for at least 1 more year. Whether Patches is a leader is not the point, to me, he is definitely 1 of the leaders on this team. Price is the defacto captain.

I surprised that no one has said this yet but I am pretty sure that Pacioretty is struggling this year because of his new born son. I have two kids and understand how much mental fatigue there is in the first year of having a baby.

Up all hours of the night, not eating properly, dealing with a bitchy wife. Just being tired all the time. That could make the difference between finishing a play or not. If this is really the problem It will take him time to adjust.

But if I'm not mistaken I think Carey's new wife is pregnant. so.... :unsure:

They said Pacioretty had a slight limp off-ice, well into the season, off-season injury is likely to have some impact and maybe he will struggle to get to 30g this year?

Hope he can get his 20th today and have a strong last 30gms to season.

They said Pacioretty had a slight limp off-ice, well into the season, off-season injury is likely to have some impact and maybe he will struggle to get to 30g this year?

Hope he can get his 20th today and have a strong last 30gms to season.

I sure hope his play this season is an after-effect of not having had a chance to fully strengthen the injured leg, and that a proper offseason in the weight room followed by a full training camp will have him back to form for next season.

I surprised that no one has said this yet but I am pretty sure that Pacioretty is struggling this year because of his new born son. I have two kids and understand how much mental fatigue there is in the first year of having a baby.

Up all hours of the night, not eating properly, dealing with a bitchy wife. Just being tired all the time. That could make the difference between finishing a play or not. If this is really the problem It will take him time to adjust.

That's just not a valid excuse if you are a highly paid pro athlete. The baby is the wife's job, since you're making enough that she doesn't have a job, and will never have to work another day in her life. You don't get up at night, you sleep...in a separate room if need be the night before games, with a fan going or white noise machine running so you don't even hear crying. Your JOB is to do WHATEVER it takes to be at your mental and physical peak, no excuses. You eat a certain way, train a certain way, and get adequate rest...you have agreed to make it your number one priority when you sign that contract.

• dlbalr changed the title to Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?