Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
l<OV4L3V

Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's not get back into interminable debates over The Trade, please. Weber is 31, BTW.

 

Yes, please God no. It's a completely fruitless debate at this point. What it will come down to now will be their play once the season starts. Praying from a dominant 20 goal 50 point season from Weber, also fully expecting a monster season from Subban. We'll see soon enough how it starts to shake down. Until then we've pretty much hashed out everything we can about the trade. It's pretty tiresome at times.

 

Looking forward to fresh arguments and even better, new topics! The season can't start soon enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

 

Yes, please God no. It's a completely fruitless debate at this point. What it will come down to now will be their play once the season starts. Praying from a dominant 20 goal 50 point season from Weber, also fully expecting a monster season from Subban. We'll see soon enough how it starts to shake down. Until then we've pretty much hashed out everything we can about the trade. It's pretty tiresome at times.

 

Looking forward to fresh arguments and even better, new topics! The season can't start soon enough!

 

Actually, the debate will play out over a number of seasons, IMHO. Other than that, I'm with ya! Let's move along, at least for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally enjoyed the trade debate. One of my favorite discussions on here since I signed up over 10 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I personally enjoyed the trade debate. One of my favorite discussions on here since I signed up over 10 years ago. 

Figures... and I missed it!

 

I read through the 5000 pages of it though, entertaining to say the least.

 

I don't mind letting it go, but I have noticed some opinions on it keep getting mentioned in nearly every thread, that's why I mentioned it in the first place here in this thread.

 

If we're going to stop talking about it, then we all need to. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I personally enjoyed the trade debate. One of my favorite discussions on here since I signed up over 10 years ago. 

I'm with ya that it was a hell of a discussion, likely the most heated and divisive since I've been here! I loved it too because of that, at least while it was fresh. I'm just putting it out of my mind for now because there's nothing new to discuss. I'm sure many new and interesting arguments will pop up with time, and I'll be happy to be part of those too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**Yawns** coming out of Habsworld hibernation, what did I miss? A thread that I started last season?  :D. GL max. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the original quesstion of this thread, I would say we will have to give max some time to get used to being Captain. What he went through last year would not have been easy for any veteran Captain. Imagine how hard it must've been for a rookie captain.

 

Let's give him a break and see how he handles it this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

To answer the original quesstion of this thread, I would say we will have to give max some time to get used to being Captain. What he went through last year would not have been easy for any veteran Captain. Imagine how hard it must've been for a rookie captain.

 

Let's give him a break and see how he handles it this season!

Maybe Pacioretty should of turned down the offer...or would that even of been a realistic option I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Maybe Pacioretty should of turned down the offer...or would that even of been a realistic option I wonder?

 

I think it's actually quite obvious that Max really wants to be captain based on the things he has said. As a result, I don't know why he would have turned it down. 

 

When I try to respond to the thread's title, I think Max can be a leader but it has to be the type that does it with his on ice demeanor.  He's a great captain to have when he's scoring goals but I think most fans would like to see a little more grit and robustness. He's quietly one of the best pure goal scorers in the league and is also a great 200 foot player. Those are great qualities for a captain. Kind of like a Kopitar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

As a result, I don't know why he would have turned it down. 

 

Markov has been turning the C down since 2010. There's some pretty good reasons to not want to be captain in Montreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Markov has been turning the C down since 2010. There's some pretty good reasons to not want to be captain in Montreal.

 

Indeed. But Pacioretty publicly lobbied for the role, as I recall. (In fact, I remember finding that a but unseemly, not that I opposed him as the choice for the C). After having told everyone and his dog that he wanted to be captain, it would have been pretty wacky for him to refuse - although the scenario of him slamming the door in MB/MT's faces when they drove out to his house is pretty amusing to contemplate :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it, I would have loved for Markov or Plekanec to have been our captain at varying points. Markov is a pretty smart man though because I think there's a great chance his legacy may have been tainted with the Habs had he been the captain, barring a cup.

 

Pacioretty seemed pretty emotional when he was named captain. I think he really wanted it and I think the boys in the locker room knew he really wanted it as well.

 

I agree with CC that he was a safe choice for captain but I also think he could legitimately develop into a great captain as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Indeed. But Pacioretty publicly lobbied for the role, as I recall. (In fact, I remember finding that a but unseemly, not that I opposed him as the choice for the C). After having told everyone and his dog that he wanted to be captain, it would have been pretty wacky for him to refuse - although the scenario of him slamming the door in MB/MT's faces when they drove out to his house is pretty amusing to contemplate :lol:

I don't recall any public lobbying by Pacioretty or any Hab for themselves?

Also, that is what I mean, when GM-coach show up at your house, what else could you say? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DON said:

I don't recall any public lobbying by Pacioretty or any Hab for themselves?

Also, that is what I mean, when GM-coach show up at your house, what else could you say? 

 

I'm pretty sure Patches made several public statements indicating he wanted the gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I'm pretty sure Patches made several public statements indicating he wanted the gig.

I recall the same thing, as well as Subban with similar comments actually. I like Patches a lot, but I still think Gallagher would make a great captain too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we now have Capn Kirk here who will help with the captain duties (advice wise). No better guy to help when you struggle. I would dare say that we have already seen some of the effects of Mr Muller on special teams. I have some real hope for this season. If Le Genius really did ask for Muller to come on board, he may not be as stupid as I thought cause Muller can coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I recall the same thing, as well as Subban with similar comments actually. I like Patches a lot, but I still think Gallagher would make a great captain too

OK, I just don't recall anyone saying they wanted to be captain, just thought they all gave same clichés when asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, habs rule said:

we now have Capn Kirk here who will help with the captain duties (advice wise). No better guy to help when you struggle. I would dare say that we have already seen some of the effects of Mr Muller on special teams. I have some real hope for this season. If Le Genius really did ask for Muller to come on board, he may not be as stupid as I thought cause Muller can coach.

PP changes could be Muller, new personal (jettison of old QB) or bit of both; but, yesterday was 1st time it worked vs an 'almost' NHL team and Weber hasn't shown up yet. But pre-season results sometimes mean very little and don't translate at all to reg season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Stogey24

Hopefully pre season results carry over for Beaulieu. Guy is lighting it up offensively 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

OK, I just don't recall anyone saying they wanted to be captain, just thought they all gave same clichés when asked.

Well you're kind of right. It was never campaigning, it was just more than "it would be an honour" type stuff. It was more like " I would love to be captain of the Canadiens. I think I've shown I'm ready to step up and be that leader.. yadayadayada".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

PP changes could be Muller, new personal (jettison of old QB) or bit of both; but, yesterday was 1st time it worked vs an 'almost' NHL team and Weber hasn't shown up yet. But pre-season results sometimes mean very little and don't translate at all to reg season.

Well I can't argue with you there but I think Muller will make a huge difference to this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/of-course-pacioretty-wants-habs-captaincy/

 

Of course,” Pacioretty says when Sportsnet asks if he wants the ‘C’ this season. ”There’s a lot of guys on the team who feel like they could be a good captain, and that’s a good thing. Whoever is named captain is going to have a lot of help."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI: I started the first thread that generated a lot of interest, so now it is up for debate again. Pax is the focal point amongst a lacklustre season; cannot say he is a scapegoat due to the fact that he floats, and his comments to media proves that a trade is pretty much writing on the wall should Bergevin not be fired before. Thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no need to start a second thread on the exact same topic so I've moved this to the original thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this season has confirmed that he's not a "carry a struggling team on his back, inspire others through hard work" kind of guy...to put it mildly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×