Habs Castoff Defencemen Now Rated High

habscout

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-pateryn-thriving-in-shutdown-role-1.958990

Interesting how Greg Pateryn, Mikhail Sergachev and Mark Barberio are shown to be statistically performing well, in two different statistical categories.  Also interesting that not a single Habs current defenceman made this list.

1 hour ago, habscout said:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-pateryn-thriving-in-shutdown-role-1.958990

Interesting how Greg Pateryn, Mikhail Sergachev and Mark Barberio are shown to be statistically performing well, in two different statistical categories.  Also interesting that not a single Habs current defenceman made this list.

I wouldn’t call Sergachev a cast off for sure, although Barberio and Pateryn got the bill better. Still, Bergevin certainly seems to prioritize a far different type of defenseman from the “modern” puck moving type most teams are prioritizing.

• Like 1

Could add Davidson to the list, apparently.

I was sad to see Barberio go.  Pateryn kind of did himself in.  This underlying pattern here is that Bergevin is stuck in an old-school mindset and doesn't listen to his analytics department.  We need a modern, forward-thinking management regime, but unfortunately Montreal might be the most difficult place to implement one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I wouldn’t call Sergachev a cast off for sure, although Barberio and Pateryn got the bill better. Still, Bergevin certainly seems to prioritize a far different type of defenseman from the “modern” puck moving type most teams are prioritizing.

That's a fair point.  He was a high quality prospect that should not have been lumped with Pateryn and Barberio.  When I first read this article I missed seeing Sergachev in that list, so I was probably more focused on the other two players when I thought of the thread title.

I know those numbers say Barberio is doing well but it's telling that his ice time has been cut by nearly four minutes from what he played in Colorado last year.  He's their #6 d-man on a team that has minimal defensive talent which certainly says a lot.  I've also seen their beat reporters talk about how they're baffled he's even in the lineup still so I wouldn't view him as much of a loss. 

This article doesn't take into account how sheltered the minutes have been, quality of competition and zone starts. Pateryn, Barberio and Sergachev are all benefitting from weak opposition and very selective offensive zone usage. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This article doesn't take into account how sheltered the minutes have been, quality of competition and zone starts. Pateryn, Barberio and Sergachev are all benefitting from weak opposition and very selective offensive zone usage. 

Ben, why does playing a guy in proper situations to end up making them look good seem to bother you? I think is just called good coaching isn't it?

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Ben, why does playing a guy in proper situations to end up making them look good seem to bother you? I think is just called good coaching isn't it?

I like good coaching, 

I don't like praising that person as a great defenceman though. If you are getting sheltered like that, you shouldn't be featured in an article about thriving in a shutdown role. 

A player's stats have to be taken in the context of how they are used. 

Are those guys better than Oliver Ekman Larsson who is leading the league in minuses this season?  Of course not.  His stats are crap cause he plays huge minutes on the leagues worst defensive team, and against the top players in the league.  

Context is everything. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I like good coaching, 

I don't like praising that person as a great defenceman though. If you are getting sheltered like that, you shouldn't be featured in an article about thriving in a shutdown role. 

Sorry, don't see an issue. Need role players to play well on every roster, especially in cap era.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry, don't see an issue. Need role players to play well on every roster, especially in cap era.

The issue is praising these guys as great shutdown defencemen when they are not that player.  They are players who are doing well in their role. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...