Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ehjay

Can something like this ever happen with a Habs Player?

Recommended Posts

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201801/05/01-5149025-catalogne-messi-libere-de-son-contrat-au-barca-en-cas-dindependance.php

 

This article speaks about how Messi has a clause to leave Barca without penalty (700 million Euros) should Catalogna separate from Spain.

I wonder if such a clause be awarded to a player with the Habs if the separatist movement gains traction again like in the 90's?

Sorry Mods if this kind of topic isn't welcome  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such thing as a clause that would void a contract if something outside of the control of the player were to happen.  Such a clause wouldn't be legal in the CBA.  If something like that happened and a player wanted out that badly, there could be a mutual contract termination if a trade can't be made though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting point...and one the PA should raise during the next CBA; I don't think a player should be suddenly be forced to live in a 'new' country with a host of unknown factors like currency differential, tax implications ect.  It would only be fair to give the players affected the right to opt out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Interesting point...and one the PA should raise during the next CBA; I don't think a player should be suddenly be forced to live in a 'new' country with a host of unknown factors like currency differential, tax implications ect.  It would only be fair to give the players affected the right to opt out.

1

 

Isn't that what happens already when a player is traded from Canada to the US or vice versa?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

 

Isn't that what happens already when a player is traded from Canada to the US or vice versa?  

 

You are talking about two well-established countries that are already covered by the current 'contract'...ie: you knew that the possibility existed when you signed your deal.  To suddenly have a new country filled with unknown commodities pop into the mix mid-contract is a different beast altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is also something about playing in a premiere league for Messi, that barca would not be in, should the territory of Catalogna separate from Spain. Barca would no longer play in Spanish premiere league. Would the Canadiens get booted out of the league due to the league contract with the Habs is with them being a Canadian team? This is bothersome in so many ways to me. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

 

You are talking about two well-established countries that are already covered by the current 'contract'...ie: you knew that the possibility existed when you signed your deal.  To suddenly have a new country filled with unknown commodities pop into the mix mid-contract is a different beast altogether.

 

Isnt that what happens to the rest of the population.  Why should the athlete be different. 

Even after a referendum, there is going to be a huge number of people who voted no and are now in a new country. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Isnt that what happens to the rest of the population.  Why should the athlete be different. 

Even after a referendum, there is going to be a huge number of people who voted no and are now in a new country. 

I’m not trying to get into this but the difference is those who voted “no” would then be “free” to leave whereas the athlete would not be... of course it’s not that easy for everyone but I’m biased because it’s what I did. 

 

I do think the athlete should have to deal with it but only if the team does remain in the league. Separating from the league is a whole other issue altogether and I think that’s what the main reason is for the clause in Messi’s contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’m not trying to get into this but the difference is those who voted “no” would then be “free” to leave whereas the athlete would not be... of course it’s not that easy for everyone but I’m biased because it’s what I did. 

 

I do think the athlete should have to deal with it but only if the team does remain in the league. Separating from the league is a whole other issue altogether and I think that’s what the main reason is for the clause in Messi’s contract.

 

The athlete can retire and walk away from the sport, if he doesn't want the paydays anymore.   He is free to leave if he is willing to leave his job. 

That is the same for anyone. 


The only difference is that its harder to leave the job the athlete is in due to the money.  He's also in a lot better position than the average person in thousands of other ways, again due to the money. 

 

Sorry if I don't have sympathy here for someone who has to choose between living in the country they want to live in, or making millions of dollars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×