New Rule Proposals

zumpano21

I’m sure there’s many opinions on HW regarding what can be done to improve the sport of hockey.

I, for one, am thrilled that goal scoring has been revived this year - even if MTL hasn’t enjoyed this particular aspect of 2017-18.

Any ideas on what else might make this game better?

Chew on this:

One player from each team must always be in the neutral zone - at all times.

That would make for 4v4 play below the blue line at all times during regular play. Plus, it would allow for the quick outlet pass.

Toast or roast?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I’m sure there’s many opinions on HW regarding what can be done to improve the sport of hockey.

I, for one, am thrilled that goal scoring has been revived this year - even if MTL hasn’t enjoyed this particular aspect of 2017-18.

Any ideas on what else might make this game better?

Chew on this:

One player from each team must always be in the neutral zone - at all times.

That would make for 4v4 play below the blue line at all times during regular play. Plus, it would allow for the quick outlet pass.

Toast or roast?

Kudos for original thinking! That could be really exciting. But it might represent the most fundamental change to the sport since the introduction of the forward pass.

I think we have to ask first what problem we're trying to solve with radical changes like that. The NHL showed in the post-lockout period that it can produce fabulous hockey within the existing rule structure; all that needs to happen is for the refs to enforce rules against obstruction. So my own preference would be to examine how the game is called, rather than restructure the game itself.

Get rid of crease (not used anyways, cept international)

Get rid of trapezoid

Still want goalies to be able to rush the puck end to end, maybe Price can show top six how to actually score.

Make penalties last full term, even if scored upon.

2 minutes for embellishment for dropping stick trying to draw slashing penalty.

Get rid of coaches challenge, simply have off-ice officials review any/all close calls (e.g. off-sides, high sticking by own player or own stick is obvious in slow mo replay) and all goals.

Bring back tie games if tied after 3 shooters.

Change point system, 3pts for win in regulation. 2 for win in OT-SO and 1 pt for loss in OT-SO. 1 pt each for tie.

Reduce goalie equipment size a lot.

When scoring was way down, I was calling for nets to be made 2 inches taller and 2 inches wider to account for the massive new breed of goaltenders in the NHL.  I don't think we can shrink goaltender equipment any further, so net size would be the logical place to look next. I was adamant this change needed to be made in seasons past, butnow  I'm not so sure; the Habs can't score, but it seems by looking at the scores across the league that there are a reasonable number of goals being scored again.  Perhaps a trial with slightly larger nets in the AHL for a season would still be a worthwhile experiment. 

Scoring is up this season leaguewide. It would be up even more if referees were allowed to call every infraction like they should. No need to change net sizes or drastically change rules. Call every hook, slash, hold, crosscheck, charge, and trip. 

If you want to change something? Fighting leads to a four on four. If two guys slash each other at the same time it's a 4 on 4. If two guys punch each other it's still 5 on 5. Asinine.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Bring back tie games if tied after 3 shooters.

Change point system, 3pts for win in regulation. 2 for win in OT-SO and 1 pt for loss in OT-SO. 1 pt each for tie.

Reduce goalie equipment size a lot.

Why does hockey insist on a point for losing? Everyone wants 3-2-1. I like zero for losing. 1 for OT or SO win. 2 for regulation win. OT and SO are part of the game. They aren't going anywhere and they are both entertaining, but they aren't team wins. 

Definitely think goalie  should be smaller and the trapezoid should go. 

1 hour ago, John B said:

I'd like to see the elimination of the loser point.  There's no need for it anymore with games going to a shoot out and a winner being decided.

I want an incentive to win in regulation, basically same as world juniors.

Have no problem with no point to loser, as long as ties are acceptable and then both get 1 pt for tie.

10 minutes 3 on 3  OT. Should barely need any shootout with 10 minutes of 3 on 3.

Allow the goal on every close calls on the ice (high stick deflection, goalie interference, goal with the skate, etc). 
Every contested goal should be allowed on the ice first so they would necessitate a clear repaly to deny them afterwards and never the opposite. 

Right now, on a penalty shot, there is no assist given.  I would like them to give an assist to the player(s) who helped to create this penalty shot, just like if the goal would have been scored on a breakaway. 

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

If you go past regulation and win, you get 1. If you lose, you get 0. Good incentive. It's the same as 3 2 1 except no point for losing. 

Amen, brother