Carey Price named to the All-Star Game

dlbalr

The NHL released its All-Star Game rosters and Carey Price is the lone representative from the Habs.  I feel a little bad for Brendan Gallagher here as he really was the most deserving to go from Montreal.  However, he isn't as good as a forward as the six that were named from the Atlantic which sort of made Price the nominee by default even though he isn't having a great year overall.

I think Byron would be a good call. I’m not looking at the stats or anything but it would be fun to watch him in the speed skating competition, and he’s not entirely undeserving. Sad about Weber and his injuries, as I saw him last year at the all star game in Los Angeles. 

The forward spots were well claimed with Stamkos, Kucherov, Marchand, Eichel, Matthews, etc. so there's no way a Habs forward was getting in. Detroit had to go with Mike Green instead of their best player Dylan Larkin.

So it was either a goalie or defenceman and it sure has heck wasn't gonna be any of our defencemen.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Over which forward who was taken from the division?

he isn't better than anyone who made it. 

I think that's the problem with this layout. Not really a fan of it when they did it, still not a fan of it. 

Even the skill competition isn't the same it once was.

I still think they should make the all star game an out door game.

57 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think that's the problem with this layout. Not really a fan of it when they did it, still not a fan of it. 

Even the skill competition isn't the same it once was.

I still think they should make the all star game an out door game.

Meh, I haven't watched the game since the early 90s.  I don't really care what they do with the stupid thing. 

No defence, no hitting, no effort level from the players, nothing on the line... who cares about the game?

Agree, no Hab deserves to go, including Price, whose atrocious early play (no doubt injury-related) was the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. That said, it was only the tip of the iceberg; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching) this team would be hard-pressed to do anything.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, no Hab deserves to go, including Price, whose atrocious early play (no doubt injury-related) was the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. That said, it was only the tip of the iceberg; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching) this team would be hard-pressed to do anything.

It’s interesting to think what another Olympic gold may have done for his game in the short term. It seems to have had an impact on the way he performed in 2014. 

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching

Cant say I have seen any goalie simply stop the pucks like Hasek did for couple years there.

• Upvote 1

Price does seem to have his mojo back since the injury, which at least looks better if he is going to the All-Star game. However it is next to impossible to recovery goalie stats when you spend 3 weeks sitting around an .880 SV%. His best case scenario is to finish the season with around .915 SV% if he continues to play well the rest of the year like he has been.

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Price does seem to have his mojo back since the injury, which at least looks better if he is going to the All-Star game. However it is next to impossible to recovery goalie stats when you spend 3 weeks sitting around an .880 SV%. His best case scenario is to finish the season with around .915 SV% if he continues to play well the rest of the year like he has been.

I'm more interested in whatever his stats are since he came back from injury. That's a more accurate assessment of his game. But you're right, the overall numbers will be bad.

I saw Patrick Roy in 1993; indeed, I was in the Forum for three games, including the Cup winning game and the all-time classic 'McSorley stick' game, for that run. I don't know that ANY goalie has ever exuded that aura of "you are not going to beat me, ever" that Roy did. (Hasek was formidable, but I think his bizarre technique always left players thinking they could beat him somehow. With Roy in '93, players were beaten almost before they started, especially in OT).

I'm not expert in the technical dimensions of goaltending, but Carey Price circa 2014 is almost certainly the most technically perfect goalie I ever saw. He hardly seemed to move half the time, so incredible was his anticipation and positioning. And one thing I've never seen before or since was that insane level of rebound control. I swear to God, Price would not simply deflect the rebound harmlessly away, as any elite goalie must reliably do; he consistently used the rebound to start the counter-attack by directing it to the player best positioned to do that. :blink: Fairly amazing.

Price slipped off that pedestal during the collapse of last season and hasn't really got his game back up to that crazy-good level since. These days he's more like Lundqvist was for most of his career: a top-tier, rock-solid elite NHL starter and franchise cornerstone, but not quite otherworldly.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Price slipped off that pedestal during the collapse of last season and hasn't really got his game back up to that crazy-good level since. These days he's more like Lundqvist was for most of his career: a top-tier, rock-solid elite NHL starter and franchise cornerstone, but not quite otherworldly.

Which is why we'll be screwed having him eat up such a large portion of the cap for the next 8 years.  

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm more interested in whatever his stats are since he came back from injury. That's a more accurate assessment of his game. But you're right, the overall numbers will be bad.

Since November 25th

18GP

10W (T-5)

7L (T-3)

543 saves (2nd)

.930 SV% (5th best among goalies that have at least 10 games)

I’m fine with Price being an All Star.... from here on out.