January 13th - Boston Bruins at Montreal Canadiens - 7:00 PM EST - Centre Belle

xXx..CK..xXx

Saturday, the Habs and I look to continue our win streak against our greatest rival, the Boston Bruins. The game marks Claude Julien's first game against his former team and for some reason, I truly believe that will have zero impact on Saturday's performance. Both teams are coming off of their bye week. Tuuka Rask, who has been playing well as of late tends to play out of character against the Habs quite often and so it will be interesting to see if this will be the case, or if he will continue his recent strong play against us as well. Danton Heinen and Charlie Mcavoy, among others, are having stellar seasons. On the Canadiens end, look for recently named all star Carey Price to continue his solid play. Look for Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher and perhaps Galchenyuk to have relatively strong games as well, as they often do against the Bruins. Victor Mete will also make his return to the lineup. 

habs%20bruins%20gtd_zpsbj9bhqcb.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONTREAL CANADIENS

Pacioretty - Danault - Lehkonen

Byron - Plekanec - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Hudon

Deslauriers - De La Rose - Shaw

Alzner - Petry

Benn - Jerabek

Mete - Schlemko

Price 

Niemi

VS

BOSTON BRUINS

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

DeBrusk - Krejci - Spooner

Heinen - R. Nash - Backes

Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari

Chara - Mcavoy

Krug - Carlo 

Grzelcyk - Miller

Rask

Khudobin

:gohabsgo::wavetowel::habslogo::clap::1gohabs::clap::wavetowel::clap::habslogo::1gohabs::wavetowel::gohabsgo::clap::1gohabs:

• Like 1

Guest Stogey24

Mete better be getting somewhere around 15min a night, from now until the end of the season. 

The press box and 7-10min a night is usless for this kid 

Guest Stogey24

Petry leading the way with -21. Chucky  and Drouin -17. That's pretty bad.

It's hilarious Bergevin comes out and says Drouin is not a centre. He really has a way with boosting players confidence. 

It'd be nice to have Emelin tonight. He was usually a beast vs Boston. :B)

The Carey Price era has seen some epic wars vs the Bruins, but the Habs have never been as pathetic in that span as they are right now. Hard to imagine that this game will rival the fire of the old Lucic-Komi or Subban vs everyone days. Sigh.

We should be in the mine set of losing as much games as we can, and doing what it takes to get a top 3 pick.

With all the picks we have we can retool this farm system if we can finish in the bottom 3. Plus with the cap space it doesn't have to be a full rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

When I look at the lineup, and forget the past few months of play, the forward group looks like it could be competitive with four fast lines and some skill. Could wreak  havoc for opposing d. 

Obv this hasn’t been the case for any sustained period. Makes me consider what is causing this and why the team hasn’t  solved it. Of course easy answer is lack of #1 C , but I personally think that damage can be overcome or minimized at least.

To the eye test it seems there is too much perimeter play and shooting with a lack of pressure on the opposing net. Lots of ‘’one and done’’, lots of shots but not enough high quality chances? Need some net  drive, puck hounds. Ideally not just Gallagher. 

Looks like a lack of smooth entries dues to weak outlet passes, which aren’t catching our fleet-footed forwards in stride?  Obv we had that for 900 plus games in #79. Gave away a couple possible replacements and haven’t recovered yet. 

Thats what I see and would address with some roster adjustments and intensive coaching. 

The d corps presently is scary though. 

Mete and Schlemko pairing seems like a high risk situation (as do the rest haha), hopefully  the high reward makes it worthwhile.

The top d in the lineup tonight would ideally be a #4 depth-wise? 

Optimistically, I am hoping that a few big game challenges like this next bunch are, is what it takes for this group to rally around each other and hit one of those 10-12 game win streaks that we’ve missed this year and make a season of this yet. 

Edited by hockeyrealist
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

We should be in the mine set of losing as much games as we can, and doing what it takes to get a top 3 pick.

With all the picks we have we can retool this farm system if we can finish in the bottom 3. Plus with the cap space it doesn't have to be a full rebuild. 

Yep, as I said in a recent game thread, every win this season now hurts the Canadiens future. 

• Upvote 1

That top line comparison is just sad on paper: the Bruins are sporting two Canadian olympic team members in Bergeron/Marchand, and a guy on pace for 35 goals in Pastrnak.   We counter with Pacioretty-Danault-Lehkonen.

Good thing games aren't decided on paper I guess.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I know it’s January, but this (and the coming games against Boston) is a HUGE game..

And so it begins..

Habs are tied with Canucks for 28th place; but Habs have 2 games in hand...: but, I don't know if I would call any game "Huge" when are tied for 28th place at half way point in season.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Habs are tied with Canucks for 28th place; but Habs have 2 games in hand...: but, I don't know if I would call any game "Huge" when are tied for 28th place at half way point in season.

To me, it's only meaningful because it's the damn Bruins and my hate for that team makes it so.  I have no delusions of some miraculous run to make the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

To me, it's only meaningful because it's the damn Bruins and my hate for that team makes it so.  I have no delusions of some miraculous run to make the playoffs. 

Just gotta hope, even if lose that some players shine, maybe Gallagher puts three by Rask and Drouin and Galchenyuk show good chemistry.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Just gotta hope, even if lose that some players shine, maybe Gallagher puts three by Rask and Drouin and Galchenyuk show good chemistry.

I miss the days when the anticipation was PK or Emelin lining up a Bruin for a big hit.  Emelin's hip checks on Lucic were always a moment of pure joy.

12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Yep, as I said in a recent game thread, every win this season now hurts the Canadiens future. 

Yes if we would of did it In 2016 we would of been picking 2nd over all where  the jets picked and would of ended up with laine.

But we tried to make the playoffs and ended up picking 9th.  We shouldn't make that same mistake again.

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

That top line comparison is just sad on paper: the Bruins are sporting two Canadian olympic team members in Bergeron/Marchand, and a guy on pace for 35 goals in Pastrnak.   We counter with Pacioretty-Danault-Lehkonen.

Good thing games aren't decided on paper I guess.

Pasternak exemplifies what you have to do if you're not tanking - draft star-quality iimpact players outside of the 'gimmee' portion of the draft. To my mind, that's where the Habs scouting has struggled over the last decade or so. Maybe Mete will break the mould, who knows.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pasternak exemplifies what you have to do if you're not tanking - draft star-quality iimpact players outside of the 'gimmee' portion of the draft. To my mind, that's where the Habs scouting has struggled over the last decade or so. Maybe Mete will break the mould, who knows.

What, you’d rather be drafting a guy like Pasternak, with a late pick than the huge, massive physical players like McCarron and Tinordi??? What kind of Canadian hockey fan are you?? Truclance, character, grit, that’s what needed, skill, mill, who cares about that!!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pasta should be a Hab. Looks and plays like a Hab. Looks and plays nothing like a Bruin. Every time I see him I feel like it's some alternate universe thing.

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I miss the days when the anticipation was PK or Emelin lining up a Bruin for a big hit.  Emelin's hip checks on Lucic were always a moment of pure joy.

Will you settle for a Gallagher beat-down of Marchand?

5 hours ago, Metallica said:

Yes if we would of did it In 2016 we would of been picking 2nd over all where  the jets picked and would of ended up with laine.

But we tried to make the playoffs and ended up picking 9th.  We shouldn't make that same mistake again.

Players and coaches will never think this way. 

The players play to win, always. Best you can do is trade the depth away to guarantee they will lose to most opponents.

Coaches also coach to win so unless you replace them with a mediocre video coordinator they are going to try to win.

That's the best you can do. A move that Montreal is great at is bringing in a mucky fighter everyone likes in the locker room but does nothing but hurt the team on the ice. Those guys are good to keep players happy during a bad time. Of course, Bergevin added Ott thinking he was the answer for a playoff team so he might think adding a guy like that is counter productive. I don't know.

Trade Plekanec, trade Pacioretty before he goes on a hot streak, keep Drouin failing to be a centre, keep Galchenyuk on the wing so he never breaks out, play Alzner and Benn as much as possible, and see if anyone wants Shaw. Then trade Byron for max value at the deadline to a cash strapped contender. That team won't win 5 games in March even if Price goes into God mode.