New practice lines

Commandant

I dont understand why the change today.

Team dominated possession yesterday.

Drouin scored yesterday.  Hes also picked up assists in the last 2 games before today.

Heck the team has played 5 pretty good games in a row.

And add to that danault got hirt and shaw got hurt and our centre depth is even worse.

So now is when we move drouin off centre and do we put chucky there... no... its jacob hands of stone de la rose centring an offensive line.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Galchenyuk - de la rose - drouin

What the f

Is obvious! Team is collecting too many f'in points...we will fix that!

At this point, toss five guys on ice and let chips fall...lots of practice games left to try every line combination can think of between now and October.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Galchenyuk - de la rose - drouin

What the f

May be is evaluation time before the deadline: seing how much upside delarose has prior to the trade deadline

Hudon got a look at centre yesterday.

19 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I love it. This will be remembered for years to come. 20 years from now we will crack jokes about the centreless era of the Habs.

1996 and counting since we had a legit #1 PPG center.

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

May be is evaluation time before the deadline: seing how much upside delarose has prior to the trade deadline

Hudon got a look at centre yesterday.

I can tell you how much upside de la Rose has. 

4th line at best. 

The kid couldn't score with a briefcase full of hundred euro bills in the amsterdam red light district. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I can tell you how much upside de la Rose has. 

4th line at best. 

The kid couldn't score with a briefcase full of hundred euro bills in the amsterdam red light district. 

Then he'll fit right in in one of the Habs 4th lines: to quote Lafleur

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

If Drouin is coming off centre, why not put Galchenyuk there?

I posted earlier that it may be to check DLR's potential, like they tried Danault 

another idea is that they are looking at options on right wing: if 27 or 92 play RW, that would make at lest one (if Not 2) RWs expendable 

"De la Rose is a guy who grew up as an offensive player. When he turned pro at a young age back home, they made him a defensive player. We're hoping he can rediscover that a little bit," explained Julien, who will be coaching his first game at TD Garden since taking the reins for the Canadiens last February. "At the same time, we don't have the last change on this road trip. I'm trying to look at different options. It doesn't mean that tomorrow, for sure, that's going to be the line, but today was a good opportunity in practice to see how those three could work together. That was the idea behind what you saw today."

Despite the change, Julien made it perfectly clear he still believes Drouin has been benefiting from his experience in the middle, and will continue to do so. If he is to make the switch, it's not because the coach feels the Sainte-Agathe native needs a break from the position.

"I don't think he's mentally drained at all. Even yesterday, I remember him coming off the ice in the third period. They spent a good portion of that shift in the defensive zone, but did an unbelievable job. Defensively, they got nothing. They were there, but they closed quickly. Jonathan reacted quickly, like a centerman should," he praised. "Those are all encouraging things for me. But the more guys you can have playing that position, the better you are as a team. That's one of the toughest positions up front, playing center. I say that all the time: there are so many responsibilities, that players can only gain from getting that opportunity."

Full lines at practice

Pacioretty - Byron - Hudon
Galchenyuk - de la Rose - Drouin
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Gallagher
Deslauriers - Froese - Carr
Hemsky (no contact)

Alzner - Petry
Benn - Jerabek
Mete - Schlemko
Morrow

Price

Funny how looking at it now it's no surprise the team is out of a playoff spot.

I think Galch is playing "better" hockey for at least 5 games now and probably isnt time to burst this bubble- yet.  Furthermore i tend to agree witn RDS and other french outlets... Galxh isnt defensively responsible enough to be C - especially in the offensive zone.  and i think Habs management believes that too. so while he's a Habs it wont happen

8 minutes ago, CoRvInA said:

I think Galch is playing "better" hockey for at least 5 games now and probably isnt time to burst this bubble- yet.  Furthermore i tend to agree witn RDS and other french outlets... Galxh isnt defensively responsible enough to be C - especially in the offensive zone.  and i think Habs management believes that too. so while he's a Habs it wont happen

He's never going to learn to be defensively responsible if you don't play him there... when better to learn than during this shit season. 

You are limiting his offense by putting him at left wing.

He's about 30-40% more productive at centre over the last 3 seasons. 

3 minutes ago, CoRvInA said:

this season has taken such a toll on me i dont even remember where he played last season.. did he play all of last season at centre?

He started the season at centre.  Played great, got injured, came back and played some centre and then Julien moved him. 

You can't even make this stuff up. 

I'm beginning to think that MT was actually a really good coach. 

Galchenyuk not at center is weird at best, he does produce more at that position. 

Why is Gallagher stapled to Pleks. 

The best line they had going was Deslariers Froese and Carr, then they broke that up. 

Clearly MB and CJ have a different take on how to win, but i'm not smart enough to figure it out. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

You can't even make this stuff up. 

I'm beginning to think that MT was actually a really good coach. 

Nah he was terrible.

Julien is good at getting the Habs to play a smart style of offensive hockey that shows up on the statistics sheet but not the scoresheet because the style is allergic to attacking the net. It will do everything else though. It's a rebound fearing style of play. Defensively it's not his fault, he's playing with the worst Habs defence in like 15 years. 2012 with Gorges - Subban was better. But again it's a well coached defence but they seem allergic to protecting the goalie. And when a play gets through it usually has a ton of time and space, so people point at the analytics and think things are good but when they give up a scoring chance it's almost always a goal because they give it all up. Alzner might be the worst Habs signing since Samsonov. Maybe worse.

There has to be more to this Galchenyuk thing than not being good defensively. When CJ is willing to use DLR as a top 6 centre instead of Galchenyuk at centre there is something seriously wrong. Galchenyuk produces at centre that is a fact!

Not to mention that giving up on Drouin now when we are hurting for centres makes no sense either.

MT was a better coach than CJ and I want Molson to clean house from top to bottom. We are a league joke at this point.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There has to be more to this Galchenyuk thing than not being good defensively. When CJ is willing to use DLR as a top 6 centre instead of Galchenyuk at centre there is something seriously wrong. Galchenyuk produces at centre that is a fact!

Not to mention that giving up on Drouin now when we are hurting for centres makes no sense either.

MT was a better coach than CJ and I want Molson to clean house from top to bottom. We are a league joke at this point.

There seems to be some animus between CJ and Galchenyuk. Who knows what the back story is, but Claude seemed hell-bent on driving him off the team for a while (remember the whole 'Galy as 4th liner' fiasco?). Now the last few weeks appear to have seen them reach a modus vivendi, with Galy being consistently dangerous and productive; my guess would be that it finally dawned on CJ that a team with zero offence might be better off not crapping all over the face of a 30-goal scorer. Nevertheless, there is clearly some configuration of sheer ego/stubbornness at work when it comes to managing Galy.

I don't believe he is ever going to be diligent defensively - he just doesn't have the hockey IQ for it. Just let him play to his strengths and be done with it. 

It's funny, I heard Ferraro talking about Barzal and how lucky he was to have Doug Weight as coach rather than a more hidebound bench-boss. Weight basically set Barzal loose, giving him a ton of rope to make risky plays, etc.. The result was that Barzal got the wind in his sails and is now terrorizing the league. If MT or CJ had coached him, he'd probably still be in a diaper and pacifier.