New practice lines

Commandant

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nah he was terrible.

Julien is good at getting the Habs to play a smart style of offensive hockey that shows up on the statistics sheet but not the scoresheet because the style is allergic to attacking the net. It will do everything else though. It's a rebound fearing style of play. Defensively it's not his fault, he's playing with the worst Habs defence in like 15 years. 2012 with Gorges - Subban was better. But again it's a well coached defence but they seem allergic to protecting the goalie. And when a play gets through it usually has a ton of time and space, so people point at the analytics and think things are good but when they give up a scoring chance it's almost always a goal because they give it all up. Alzner might be the worst Habs signing since Samsonov. Maybe worse.

It's drives me nuts when Julien gets caught up line matching. Plekanec playing 19 minutes, isn't going to win you a hockey games 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There has to be more to this Galchenyuk thing than not being good defensively. When CJ is willing to use DLR as a top 6 centre instead of Galchenyuk at centre there is something seriously wrong. Galchenyuk produces at centre that is a fact!

Because delaRose will be shopped at deadline, Galchenyuk wont be.

MT was a better coach than CJ  Possibly, no one can say the opposite that is for sure.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

It's drives me nuts when Julien gets caught up line matching. Plekanec playing 19 minutes, isn't going to win you a hockey games 

Right now it's playing Galchenyuk, Drouin and Petry that won't win you a lot of hockey games. Plekanec is one of our few forwards, if not our only non-4th liner who isn't a negative in the +\- category. Plekanec still does a good job of keeping the other team in check, and doesn't get enough credit for it. Someone said that Julien coaches not to lose, and that might be true, but I can't really fault Julien for having some trust in Plekanec. If we NEED a goal, then I agree he wouldn't be the best option. But if the Habs are in the game, even in overtime, I don't mind seeing Plekanec on the ice, or at the very lease I can somewhat understand it. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There seems to be some animus between CJ and Galchenyuk. Who knows what the back story is, but Claude seemed hell-bent on driving him off the team for a while (remember the whole 'Galy as 4th liner' fiasco?). Now the last few weeks appear to have seen them reach a modus vivendi, with Galy being consistently dangerous and productive; my guess would be that it finally dawned on CJ that a team with zero offence might be better off not crapping all over the face of a 30-goal scorer. Nevertheless, there is clearly some configuration of sheer ego/stubbornness at work when it comes to managing Galy.

I don't believe he is ever going to be diligent defensively - he just doesn't have the hockey IQ for it. Just let him play to his strengths and be done with it. 

It's funny, I heard Ferraro talking about Barzal and how lucky he was to have Doug Weight as coach rather than a more hidebound bench-boss. Weight basically set Barzal loose, giving him a ton of rope to make risky plays, etc.. The result was that Barzal got the wind in his sails and is now terrorizing the league. If MT or CJ had coached him, he'd probably still be in a diaper and pacifier. 

Hey, this is exactly the concern I raised when Julien was hired.  Julien does not handle offensive players that aren’t responsible defensively well. There is a reason that Martin Brodeur went to Lamoriello and voiced his concerns about the coach - if I remember correctly the devils where atop their division or close to it when they fired Julien.

he could not handle Kessel, could not handle seguin, could not handle Hamilton.  We basically fired MT and replaced him with a shorter, fatter, balder version of him.

At rhe the start of this year, I kept hearing the nonsense of how unlucky we were and how we were getting a lot of shots.  That’s exactly the same as the Bruins last year.  Get a lot of shots, but they are low quality shots from the perimeter, without much net pressure.  Kept hearing that statiscally the team was just unlucky.  Bullshit.  This team was poorly constructed by a management team that should have been fired two years ago.  

we have a guy would be more than passable as a number one centre in Galchenyuk, but this idiotic management team is hell bent on destroying and has destroyed his confidence by being fixated on what he’s not, rather than what he is and playing to his strengths.  We have a management team that is trying to play like the 1995 New Jersey devils, when the game is not played that way anymore.  Our GM signed a poor man’s ken Danyeko to a long term deal in a league that ken Danyeko would probably be a 6th/7th dman now.

our #1dman has been injured most of the season and his age doesn’t bode well for how healthy he will be going forward for the next 7 years.

our captain has a year left and will want a big contract as a UFA, because he negotiated a crappy deal last time around.

out best player will begin to earn $10m, but unless he can score 40 goals on top of having a .940 save percentage, he won’t win 40 games.

its time to rebuild.  We are not one or two, or even three players away from being a contender.  We are an extremely poorly constructed team. In need of new management.  We should fire MB and Julien this year.  Let Muller coach the team until the end of the year and let Dudley be GM until the end of the year with instructions that anyone not named galchenyuk, Drouin, or Mete are available for the right price.  Talk to Price about waiving his no trade to go west to Edmonton and try and get Draisaitl +.

i get that MB and Julien are signed for the next 5 years (may as well be a million years), and Molson may have to eat some money.  If Julien is as great of a coach as some here have said he is, he shouldn’t have much trouble getting anitue job, so the hit should not be as bad. MB on the other hand will probably never get another chance at being a GM, unless Quebec City gets a team. In which case I’d be thrilled if this moron became a GM for a future Quebec City team.

• Upvote 2

It's really frustrating to have watched multiple teams in Montreal coached not to lose instead of coached to win. 

That said, Therrien and Julien are different. Julien is competent but has certain issues that come up every city he coaches in. Therrien was just bizarre. Handed a small, fast puck moving club and told them to grind and wear teams down physically. It was like he didn't know who he was coaching.

That said I don't care for either. Julien is a more competent coach but if the next GM fired him I would be happy.

On 1/16/2018 at 0:39 PM, Commandant said:

I dont understand why the change today.

Team dominated possession yesterday.

Drouin scored yesterday.  Hes also picked up assists in the last 2 games before today.

Heck the team has played 5 pretty good games in a row.

And add to that danault got hirt and shaw got hurt and our centre depth is even worse.

So now is when we move drouin off centre and do we put chucky there... no... its jacob hands of stone de la rose centring an offensive line.

We have been playing lots of good hockey lately. Can we still strip MB naked and drag him through the snow?

I've just grown attached to the idea I suppose.. :huh:

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hey, this is exactly the concern I raised when Julien was hired.  Julien does not handle offensive players that aren’t responsible defensively well. There is a reason that Martin Brodeur went to Lamoriello and voiced his concerns about the coach - if I remember correctly the devils where atop their division or close to it when they fired Julien.

he could not handle Kessel, could not handle seguin, could not handle Hamilton.  We basically fired MT and replaced him with a shorter, fatter, balder version of him.

At rhe the start of this year, I kept hearing the nonsense of how unlucky we were and how we were getting a lot of shots.  That’s exactly the same as the Bruins last year.  Get a lot of shots, but they are low quality shots from the perimeter, without much net pressure.  Kept hearing that statiscally the team was just unlucky.  Bullshit.  This team was poorly constructed by a management team that should have been fired two years ago.  

we have a guy would be more than passable as a number one centre in Galchenyuk, but this idiotic management team is hell bent on destroying and has destroyed his confidence by being fixated on what he’s not, rather than what he is and playing to his strengths.  We have a management team that is trying to play like the 1995 New Jersey devils, when the game is not played that way anymore.  Our GM signed a poor man’s ken Danyeko to a long term deal in a league that ken Danyeko would probably be a 6th/7th dman now.

our #1dman has been injured most of the season and his age doesn’t bode well for how healthy he will be going forward for the next 7 years.

our captain has a year left and will want a big contract as a UFA, because he negotiated a crappy deal last time around.

out best player will begin to earn $10m, but unless he can score 40 goals on top of having a .940 save percentage, he won’t win 40 games.

its time to rebuild.  We are not one or two, or even three players away from being a contender.  We are an extremely poorly constructed team. In need of new management.  We should fire MB and Julien this year.  Let Muller coach the team until the end of the year and let Dudley be GM until the end of the year with instructions that anyone not named galchenyuk, Drouin, or Mete are available for the right price.  Talk to Price about waiving his no trade to go west to Edmonton and try and get Draisaitl +.

i get that MB and Julien are signed for the next 5 years (may as well be a million years), and Molson may have to eat some money.  If Julien is as great of a coach as some here have said he is, he shouldn’t have much trouble getting anitue job, so the hit should not be as bad. MB on the other hand will probably never get another chance at being a GM, unless Quebec City gets a team. In which case I’d be thrilled if this moron became a GM for a future Quebec City team.

Epic post, my friend! I especially like the last lines :halm:

Usually I disagree with 99% of your rants but there are actually some good points in here. 

However, 

Weber's injury has nothing to do with his age and he has been very consistent throughout his career in terms of health and there's no reason to believe at this point it will change in the foreseeable future. 

Our GM negotiated a "crappy deal" with our captain last time around? HUH? A 6 year deal at 4.5 million for a 23 year old before he went on to score over 30 goals a year. Tell us again how crappy that was. 

You realize that 40 wins for a goalie is a monster year right? So to say Price won't win 40 without scoring 40 as well isn't much of a statement at all. But I'm sure you will post here next year claiming that you told everybody that. Same as trading Price for Draisaitl, you'll flip out that the deal never happened even though you said it should have. 

Other than that, not a bad post

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, illWill said:

Our GM negotiated a "crappy deal" with our captain last time around? HUH? A 6 year deal at 4.5 million for a 23 year old before he went on to score over 30 goals a year. Tell us again how crappy that was. 

Pretty sure he meant the deal was crappy from Pacioretty's point of view

MB on the other hand will probably never get another chance at being a GM,

Well Pierre Gauthier has 2 cup rings recently, Jacques Martin does as well, so future is unknown and coming from the most pessimistic Hab Fan I know of,  your prediction really is to be taken with grain of salt. 

Never is long time.

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pretty sure he meant the deal was crappy from Pacioretty's point of view

Even so, Pacioretty's next contract has absolutely zero connection to his current one. That's not how it works. He will get paid and rightfully so, it doesn't matter at all that he played under market value all these years. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Usually I disagree with 99% of your rants but there are actually some good points in here. 

However, 

Weber's injury has nothing to do with his age and he has been very consistent throughout his career in terms of health and there's no reason to believe at this point it will change in the foreseeable future. 

You realize that 40 wins for a goalie is a monster year right? So to say Price won't win 40 without scoring 40 as well isn't much of a statement at all. But I'm sure you will post here next year claiming that you told everybody that. Same as trading Price for Draisaitl, you'll flip out that the deal never happened even though you said it should have. 

Other than that, not a bad post

Bingo.  Give yourself a smelly cigar.  The habs as constructed are Carey Price and Carey Price.  If he wins 40 games they'll get in the playoffs and he is a Hart contender.  If he doesn't our suckage shows and we are at best a bubble team and most likely miss the playoffs.

And yes, as the cucamber stated, I said "our captain has a year left and will want a big contract as a UFA, because he negotiated a crappy deal last time around."  MacPac will want to make up for agreeing to a contract that left him underpaid for 6 years.  The only thing wrong with the MaxPac contract at $4.5M was that it wasn't for the max 8 years, otherwise, that was one of the 3 or 4 good moves MB made - although, I think MaxPac coming off a concussion and a slwe of injuries early in his career, probably rushed to sign a long term deal, rather than MB lowballing him and winning.

As for Weber, the injury may not be age related, but we are going to start seeing more injuries as he gets older.  That's just natural.  We aren't taking about a smooth skating Lidstrom or Neidermeyer here.  Pronger was done at what 37?  Weber is signed until he is 42.  Seabrook looks done at 32 and his play rapidly declined in the past 2 years.

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

Even so, Pacioretty's next contract has absolutely zero connection to his current one. That's not how it works. He will get paid and rightfully so, it doesn't matter at all that he played under market value all these years. 

Market value will be over $6M and he will probably be looking for and get someone to shell out $7M+.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Well Pierre Gauthier has 2 cup rings recently, Jacques Martin does as well, so future is unknown and coming from the most pessimistic Hab Fan I know of,  your prediction really is to be taken with grain of salt. 

Never is long time.

Gauthier is not the GM and Martin is not a head coach.  MB will probably land somewhere in a lessor role, but here is no way he is getting another GM gig on a non-French team.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bingo.  Give yourself a smelly cigar.  The habs as constructed are Carey Price and Carey Price.  If he wins 40 games they'll get in the playoffs and he is a Hart contender.  If he doesn't our suckage shows and we are at best a bubble team and most likely miss the playoffs.

And yes, as the cucamber stated, I said "our captain has a year left and will want a big contract as a UFA, because he negotiated a crappy deal last time around."  MacPac will want to make up for agreeing to a contract that left him underpaid for 6 years.  The only thing wrong with the MaxPac contract at $4.5M was that it wasn't for the max 8 years, otherwise, that was one of the 3 or 4 good moves MB made - although, I think MaxPac coming off a concussion and a slwe of injuries early in his career, probably rushed to sign a long term deal, rather than MB lowballing him and winning.

So if Price puts up a .940 sv% (the best sv% of all time?) he needs to score 40 goals as well to win 40 games....okay then

And like I said, the next negotiations will have nothing to do with what he is getting paid right now. Of course he is going to demand a lot of money, and that will be based on performance, not because he feels he didn't already make enough up to this point. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

So if Price puts up a .940 sv% (the best sv% of all time?) he needs to score 40 goals as well to win 40 games....okay then

And like I said, the next negotiations will have nothing to do with what he is getting paid right now. Of course he is going to demand a lot of money, and that will be based on performance, not because he feels he didn't already make enough up to this point. 

Bingo

1) If Price is a 940 goalie and there is no injury the Habs are in the playoffs right now. 

2) No team in the league is paying Pacioretty more cause his last contract was a discount.  It doesn't work that way. 

On 2018-01-16 at 3:30 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I posted earlier that it may be to check DLR's potential, like they tried Danault 

another idea is that they are looking at options on right wing: if 27 or 92 play RW, that would make at lest one (if Not 2) RWs expendable 

Well, the DLR experience failed big time. Hope Danault gets well soon !!!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, the DLR experience failed big time. Hope Danault gets well soon !!!

Given the bizarre opportunities at centre that players not names galchenyuk have gotten, Part of me wants anyone who can potentially play centr to get some sort of minor injury or illness that forces them to play galchenyuk.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Given the bizarre opportunities at centre that players not names galchenyuk have gotten, Part of me wants anyone who can potentially play centr to get some sort of minor injury or illness that forces them to play galchenyuk.

How much worse can it be?!

:wavetowel:(waiving white flag)

15 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This 100% amazing post habs29

I dislike CJ more and more every day. Screw him and his system of 100% mistake free defensive hockey that we aren't built to play!!!!!! It saddled the bruins and its now crushing us.

Put Galchenyuk at centre and let him go score some freaking goals. Let the best goalie in the world cover his defensive mistakes and lets try and win some games FFS.

This team lacks talent overall but CJ is not using what talent we do have.

Incidentally...when you look at the exciting success and potential for even more success in Boston, it stands as an illustration that you do not need to tank. You just need excellent drafting. And coaching.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This 100% amazing post habs29

I dislike CJ more and more every day. Screw him and his system of 100% mistake free defensive hockey that we aren't built to play!!!!!! It saddled the bruins and its now crushing us.

Put Galchenyuk at centre and let him go score some freaking goals. Let the best goalie in the world cover his defensive mistakes and lets try and win some games FFS.

This team lacks talent overall but CJ is not using what talent we do have.

Totally disagree. I think if he had even one top two centre and more than one top 4 defenseman, Julien would have this team winning. I like the system. I like the way they compete. This team is full of massive holes and they still compete. The biggest issue I see with not scoring is they can't spring a player for an odd man rush because the defense sucks, and they don't have the offensive chops on the top 6 to get goalies moving laterally. I don't think this is the systems fault. Julien likes to carry the puck out of the zone so maybe the system is partly at fault for the lack of odd man rushes, but I can't blame the system for the end results I've seen this year. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Totally disagree. I think if he had even one top two centre and more than one top 4 defenseman, Julien would have this team winning. I like the system. I like the way they compete. This team is full of massive holes and they still compete. The biggest issue I see with not scoring is they can't spring a player for an odd man rush because the defense sucks, and they don't have the offensive chops on the top 6 to get goalies moving laterally. I don't think this is the systems fault. Julien likes to carry the puck out of the zone so maybe the system is partly at fault for the lack of odd man rushes, but I can't blame the system for the end results I've seen this year. 

I agree, this is a talent issue.  Centre and LHD.