A Plan for the Remainder of the Season, including the Deadline

Commandant

Sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

What should Marc Bergevin's plan be for the rest of the season? How can the Habs set themselves up for the summer, and to re-tool the team for 2018-19?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/01/19/montreal-canadiens-plan-for-the-trade-deadline-and-beyond/

Interesting piece. 

What the hell do I know.,, :mellow:

I feel so leafy.. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell sell 

Who downvotes this?

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Who downvotes this?

After spending hours writing a 2000 word article on the topic.  I'd appreciate an intelligent response and debate, instead of one word repeated over and over again.  

I'd hope for an actual intelligent, thought out comment and debate on the subject, or at least one of the things i mentioned, as I actually put a lot of work into that.  

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

After spending hours writing a 2000 word article on the topic.  I'd appreciate an intelligent response and debate, instead of one word repeated over and over again.  

I'd hope for an actual intelligent, thought out comment and debate on the subject, or at least one of the things i mentioned, as I actually put a lot of work into that.  

"Habs should sell off a lot of players" is a valid opinion. So what if it's presented bluntly?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Who downvotes this?

The person that down voted it is the exact reason why this organization can't rebuild and every year goes through the samethings like its ground hog day.

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

"Habs should sell off a lot of players" is a valid opinion. So what if it's presented bluntly?

When I spent time and effort giving my own suggestions for who those players should be... what type of offers should be acceptable.... and a number of reasons why.  A comment on that other than just the captain obvious of "sell" would be appreciated. 

I put a lot of work into starting an actual conversation on the topic... 

Just now, Metallica said:

The person that down voted it is the exact reason why this organization can't rebuild and every year goes through the samethings like its ground hog day.

I'm now in charge of the organization and what it does. 

My goodness.  

Now will be a good time to start putting my plan into action.

Just now, Metallica said:

I am sorry next time when you start a topic let us know how many words you would like us to use in it to make you happy.

its not about words, its about putting actual thought into a response, instead of just snark. 

I think if you're planning a retool, which I think is very doable, Pacioretty stays on the team unless the deal is too good to be true. He has some trade value, but I believe he has value to the team also. Find someone to feed him the stretch pass and he will be back on pace for 40 next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Metallica said:

I am sorry next time when you start a topic let us know how many words you would like us to use in it to make you happy.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

its not about words, its about putting actual thought into a response, instead of just snark. 

Neither response is really necessary, many should be of same opinion as Metallica and I don't think he wrote anything out of order, bit overkill but so what, many are simply fed up. And sorry to say that my interest in reading any blogs or articles about Habs is just about at all time low. Come mid-Feb I would think things will start to get interesting (off the ice anyways).

I don't disagree with your article. It's interesting to note that this will be the first true "sell" deadline for the Habs under Bergevin. The 2016 deadline was a bit of an anomaly because Price's injury was basically the excuse for that write off season (when really it should have foretold Bergevin's inability to properly asses the team and its shortcomings, especially in acquiring a netminder when the duration of Price's absence had been determined internally)

So, given that the '16 deadline produced little in terms of action (he did get Danault for Weise and Fleischmann, and unloaded DSP for a bag of pucks), I'm prepared to be underwhelmed. To me, Plekanec is the main piece here. The return for Plex is important. I don't imagine Patches or Byron will be moved at the deadline.  The main difference this year is that Montreal won't acquire an All Star fan vote in that the league and the teams embarrassingly tried to brush under the rug. "It took weeks to put together, if you knew what I knew...it had to happen."

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think if you're planning a retool, which I think is very doable, Pacioretty stays on the team unless the deal is too good to be true. He has some trade value, but I believe he has value to the team also. Find someone to feed him the stretch pass and he will be back on pace for 40 next year. 

You only move Pacioretty if you don't get tavares. If we get a top 3 pick this year, keep Pacioretty and can land tavares, then things change fast for the better. If we can't land tavares then you have to look at trading Pacioretty.

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think its all about return.  If the return can be a legit centre prospect who can help to solve that issue I think you have to do it. 

But it has to be a legit centre prospect and a bit more sweetener on top. 

If the value isn't there, sure, keep him. 

2 minutes ago, huzer said:

I don't disagree with your article. It's interesting to note that this will be the first true "sell" deadline for the Habs under Bergevin. The 2016 deadline was a bit of an anomaly because Price's injury was basically the excuse for that write off season (when really it should have foretold Bergevin's inability to properly asses the team and its shortcomings, especially in acquiring a netminder when the duration of Price's absence had been determined internally)

So, given that the '16 deadline produced little in terms of action (he did get Danault for Weise and Fleischmann, and unloaded DSP for a bag of pucks), I'm prepared to be underwhelmed. To me, Plekanec is the main piece here. The return for Plex is important. I don't imagine Patches or Byron will be moved at the deadline.  The main difference this year is that Montreal won't acquire an All Star fan vote in that the league and the teams embarrassingly tried to brush under the rug. "It took weeks to put together, if you knew what I knew...it had to happen."

Plekanec is first in the article as he is the piece that absolutely must be moved, and his value in the market (top rental centre), must be leveraged. 

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Neither response is really necessary, many should be of same opinion as Metallica and I don't think he wrote anything out of order, bit overkill but so what, many are simply fed up. And sorry to say that my interest in reading any blogs or articles about Habs is just about at all time low. Come mid-Feb I would think things will start to get interesting (off the ice anyways).

If you are not interested, thats fine, no need to comment on it. 

I'm trying to start a discussion though, this is a discussion forum after all. 

I thank those who are willing to actually contribute to the topic, like the last two responses I saw. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Plekanec is first in the article as he is the piece that absolutely must be moved, and his value in the market (top rental centre), must be leveraged. 

Understood there and agree. Hopefully Bergy doesn't screw it up. Get at least a 2018 2nd in the deal, and that nets the Habs 4 picks in the 2nd round. Ample picks to move up, if the opportunity arises.

It'd be nice if the 2 other conditional trades work out, Kings make the playoffs, Habs get their 4th rounder back, and Montoya playing in 7 Oilers games (I think he's been in 2 games so far). Hoard them picks!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given that he's got 3 seconds in this draft, I'm wondering if he'll want a 2019 2nd. 

I'd like to see him get a 2nd in 2019 instead.  It's another asset with a longer shelf life.

49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If you are not interested, thats fine, no need to comment on it. 

I'm trying to start a discussion though, this is a discussion forum after all. 

I thank those who are willing to actually contribute to the topic, like the last two responses I saw. 

Good topic Commandant.

My preferences are not popular, but here they are:

i would definitely move Pleks but try to create some bidding from a couple of teams

I am fed up with Petry more than Alzner, so I would shop him around

I really believe that one of (Gallagher, A.Shaw, Lehkonen, Hudon, Carr, Byron) should be moved. Maybe two. For crying out loud: this organization has to evaluate and pick from these underweight & fightsty wingers. Specially with Sherbak ready to graduate next year

I would not move Pacioretty, but I would remove the C after the season. 

Thank gives  a handful of players that can be shipped out for picks and maybe packaged for an upgrade on Morrow as a depth defence. 

===

I think the best path forward is to keep the core and to build through the draft by getting as many high picks as possible. The key signings to help next year should come at the free agency deadline

i do not think the Habs will get much at the trade deadline 

===

oh, of course you would need to get rid of Sly and hire a coach that can develop prospects 

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo and added: fire Sylvain Lefebvre
  • Upvote 1