A Plan for the Remainder of the Season, including the Deadline

Commandant

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If only that team added one more offensive threat... Or maybe just Chara not splattering Pacioretty. Maybe we would have got Montreal versus Vancouver in 2011. Maybe. Who knows.

You never know about these parallel timelines, but at face value a healthy Pacioretty would have made the difference in a series that went to Game 7 OT.

I doubt the Habs would have gone to the Finals, though, as key guys like Subban and Patches were awfully green. But perhaps their veteran colleagues (Gio, Cammy, Markov) would have supplied sufficient leadership to overcome that.

Typical of the NHL's "player protection" logic to reward attempted murder with a Stanley Cup.

• Upvote 1

I can see that you put a lot of thought and work into this article. Very well done.

I agree with most of what you said. It's probably nitpicking over words used, but I think the centre we must get back has to be not just a top 6, for me that infers a 2nd line centre would be acceptable. For Max P. the return has to include a first line centre or someone who has the definite potential, with experience, to get there. Maybe that's what you meant by top 6, giving the person a little time to evolve into a first liner. 

My other question would be, is it better to leave some of the young guys like Nikita S. and Noah J. on the farm playing lots of minutes instead of bringing them into what has to now be a very demoralizing, losing atmosphere, or would it be worthwhile to give them NHL experience understanding that any mistakes they make are not going to affect the final outcome very much anyway. However, Laval isn't overachieving either, so maybe bringing them up would be beneficial. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I can see that you put a lot of thought and work into this article. Very well done.

I agree with most of what you said. It's probably nitpicking over words used, but I think the centre we must get back has to be not just a top 6, for me that infers a 2nd line centre would be acceptable. For Max P. the return has to include a first line centre or someone who has the definite potential, with experience, to get there. Maybe that's what you meant by top 6, giving the person a little time to evolve into a first liner. 

I feel a legit #2-#1a C would be acceptable IF accompanied by an impact prospect, especially a prospect that promises to become a top-pairing D-man. But I recognize that many fans are adamant that only a #1C will do, and, of course, that *would* be ideal. The problem there is that no one is going to trade a #1C for Pacioretty, so in this case it would the Habs "adding value" by throwing in impact prospects (if we have any) or quality additional roster players.

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

My other question would be, is it better to leave some of the young guys like Nikita S. and Noah J. on the farm playing lots of minutes instead of bringing them into what has to now be a very demoralizing, losing atmosphere, or would it be worthwhile to give them NHL experience understanding that any mistakes they make are not going to affect the final outcome very much anyway. However, Laval isn't overachieving either, so maybe bringing them up would be beneficial. 

No one is trading a surefire #1C prospect for Max is my thinking.  You aren't getting Nico Hischier for Max or other surefire Number 1 guy.  

What you could get is a package that includes a Sam Steel, or a Robert Thomas, and additional prospects/picks.  Such a prospect is a guy who could grow into a number 1 C. 

There are no top Centres in this draft. 

So I think the plan to getting a top C, is ... put Drouin and Chucky both at Centre, see if one can emerge... develop Poehling.... develop Ikonen... get another prospect from a Max trade, develop him.... hopefully you can draft another C with one of your second rounders.   Give yourself a bunch of chances at that number 1 C, cause getting an easy fix is hard.  You've gotta keep throwing crap at the wall until it sticks.

And maybe bergevin was right when he said getting a number 1 C is tough.  The issue i have is that he never took a risk to try and find one, for 5 years.  In the sixth year he at least tried with Drouin.  Now's the time to Throw some shit at the wall, get a Brayden Schenn.  Try Chuck there in a lost season. etc...  Get some prospects in the position.

36 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that they're not playing Galchenyuk at centre. 

If they are shopping Chucky, you would think that playing him at centre is only going to increase his value ( not that I'm for trading him) 

But that would be responsible management. You see right away why the Habs aren't doing it.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But that would be responsible management. You see right away why the Habs aren't doing it.

Besides, he might show up MB and prove he can play centre.