Habs vs Caps - 7:30 EST.

Trizzak

6 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Every time the Habs are making a game out of it I’m reminded of how unequivocally my fandom is too them. No matter how tough the season, there’s nothing better than a solid game. By no means are they dominating but this game has been fun. 

Sometime me I have to remind myself not to get too down. It’s all for fun, might as well enjoy it while we can haha 

That’s a great attitude but I’m looking long term and high draft picks.

Double shift our “character guys” and put some shrooms in Niemi’s water.

4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

That’s a great attitude but I’m looking long term and high draft picks.

Double shift our “character guys” and put some shrooms in Niemi’s water.

Logically losses are better in the long term lol, chances are slim to none they make the playoffs. But I’m happy to find I’ve not once found myself rooting for a loss. Always cele when they score always happy to see them succeed. 

That being said, Rasmus Dahlin.

When they lose at this point I’m not that unhappy either haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Another goal from Patch, gives him 6 in 6 games.

It just me or is all this Pacioretty trade talk just a really bad idea?

Unless of course you can get a massive return but seems doubtful. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

It just me or is all this Pacioretty trade talk just a really bad idea?

Unless of course you can get a massive return but seems doubtful. 

Its all about the return.  As i wrote today, I want a top C prospect, a top puck moving D prospect, and a 1st round pick. 

Short of that, I keep him.

I see absolutely no reasonable argument for keeping Pacioretty. Team is going nowhere, no leadership, plenty of left handed shots, needs elsewhere, he still has more value in a trade than on the roster, he's going to command more money soon, having him long term is asking for trouble, he's having his worst year but people still want him (which won't be true if we keep him, sign him to some 8x7 deal and he doesn't keep up his usual score 30 and ghost routine) and to top it off he's a guy who was always supposed to be a passenger but he's thrust into a driver role he can never really fill so having him around honestly costs the team from properly building to something.

Pacioretty is a very good player but he isn't leading this team to anything. He shouldn't be a Montreal Canadien in 2019, let alone the fall of 2018.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I see absolutely no reasonable argument for keeping Pacioretty. Team is going nowhere, no leadership, plenty of left handed shots, needs elsewhere, he still has more value in a trade than on the roster, he's going to command more money soon, having him long term is asking for trouble, he's having his worst year but people still want him (which won't be true if we keep him, sign him to some 8x7 deal and he doesn't keep up his usual score 30 and ghost routine) and to top it off he's a guy who was always supposed to be a passenger but he's thrust into a driver role he can never really fill so having him around honestly costs the team from properly building to something.

Pacioretty is a very good player but he isn't leading this team to anything. He shouldn't be a Montreal Canadien in 2019, let alone the fall of 2018.

I like patch. That being said, the only reason I see is that he actually has a little lower value now than what he’s worth.

His recent scoring surge has helped his case, but take away his last 6 goals and games, and he’s a 20 goal scorer: 

It might be worth it to wait for him to get back on track, hence holding onto him. St least until the deadline.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I like patch. That being said, the only reason I see is that he actually has a little lower value now than what he’s worth.

His recent scoring surge has helped his case, but take away his last 6 goals and games, and he’s a 20 goal scorer: 

It might be worth it to wait for him to get back on track, hence holding onto him. St least until the deadline.

If I was confident that we were just a couple of players away from being a TRUE contender, I would TRY to hold on to him and i’d move a heart and soul guy like Gallagher as part of a package for a true top centre.  But we’re no where close to that now, so I think it’s a waste to commit long term in another year to a guy who will cost $7m+  when he is on the other side of 35.

this is not a flip from my willingnes/desire to sign Radulov.  With Radulov and Markov, and Sergachev waiting in the wings, at least the D had a stop gap for now and hope for the future.  Now we have no blue chip sure thing on D.  No centre and already have an anchor in alzner and I think in another 2-3 years, Weber will make the sub an trade look even worse than I think it is now.

we need to move Pacioretty by the draft at the latest.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Do you really think that letter matters that much? He is one of the elite goal scorers in the league. He plays in all situations pp, pk, top line and succeeds every year. This year he has nobody to set up plays. This year's negative results have nothing to do with Mac pacioretty and everything to do with terrible top 4 defense and lack of top  6 balance. People in wrong positions due to no top 6 centre. Unless the return is very good, I want pacioretty on the team next year. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Do you really think that letter matters that much? He is one of the elite goal scorers in the league. He plays in all situations pp, pk, top line and succeeds every year. This year he has nobody to set up plays. This year's negative results have nothing to do with Mac pacioretty and everything to do with terrible top 4 defense and lack of top  6 balance. People in wrong positions due to no top 6 centre. Unless the return is very good, I want pacioretty on the team next year. 

I think he's cast as a leader on the team and the C is the affirmation of that. And he's a terrible leader. I doubt he inspires a lick of confidence in anyone in the locker, and pushes them to rely on other players like Price (the actual leader) and Weber.

Is he one of the best regular season scorers in the league? No question. He doesn't need the powerplay and can score in any period. But he also needs a driver. He had Markov, Subban, and Radulov. He doesn't have them now, and his play has dropped hard because of it. Why keep him? This team isn't acquiring a play driver anytime soon. So he's going to be a diminishing product until he's a free agent. Wonderful. What a great thing to keep.

There is no salvaging this club. It's dead. Time to start fresh.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I share that view too. BCHabnut

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think he's cast as a leader on the team and the C is the affirmation of that. And he's a terrible leader. I doubt he inspires a lick of confidence in anyone in the locker, and pushes them to rely on other players like Price (the actual leader) and Weber.

Is he one of the best regular season scorers in the league? No question. He doesn't need the powerplay and can score in any period. But he also needs a driver. He had Markov, Subban, and Radulov. He doesn't have them now, and his play has dropped hard because of it. Why keep him? This team isn't acquiring a play driver anytime soon. So he's going to be a diminishing product until he's a free agent. Wonderful. What a great thing to keep.

There is no salvaging this club. It's dead. Time to start fresh.

The same can be said for Gallagher, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk . The Habs best players as a whole are "diminished" by the general lack of drive and competiveness from this team.

I do not think it is realistic to think that blowing up the team and gambling that other teams will hand over a better ensemble of players in return  is the way to go.

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It's tough to swallow when you're a Pacioretty fan, I'm sure, but it's time to create a core that can win together.

A player of Max's "calibre", with a contract as cap friendly as his, doesn't come on the market very often. So it creates an opportunity for even a cap strickened team get in on a bidding war. 

There's an opportunity here to acquire some major pieces, that this team desperately needs to move forward and become a legitimate contender. 

It makes zero sense to keep Pacioretty when this team is in the state it's in. Trade your assets that will garner young talent and start building your core again.  Accept defeat and move on. 

Unless of course you want to keep watching mediocre hockey and let your best assets wither away on a team that has too many holes to fill through free agency.

Edited by Habopotamus
  • Upvote 2

Keeping Patches is dumb. He likely only has 3-4 years left of elite production - and that may be an optimistic estimate. This team will probably not contend until the end of that window (assuming all goes well). So flip him for a younger core piece.

Failing to look ahead like this has been part of the Habs' problem. Enough's enough.

In terms of the 'fandom' experience of cheering for a POS non-playoff team, lately I've had trouble motivating myself to watch the games at all. It's not just that we suck, but that we are currently lacking any clear sense of organizational direction. Are we retooling? Rebuilding? Firing the GM? What moves will we make? Until we have some answers, I find it hard to take much interest in a club futilely playing out the string. We don't even have any exciting prospects to focus on. Bleh.

• Upvote 2

I love how even a gdt turns into a ‘’trade so and so’’ pouting party on here.

Also love how commentors assume we can flip just about any player for young talent, as though teams are just dying to give up young twenty somethings that they’ve begun grooming.

How about the team explores the idea that Max (who apparently loves Mtl, just moved downtown with his young family) accepts another sweet deal of a contract and we hold onto the only certified goal scorer we’ve had in the past Oh maybe a decade. 

Hes still quite young and by moving the bloated  Contracts of Plex and Shaw at least combined with available cap space try to find a decent centre or even two mediocre ones and stop trying to love our only offensive weapons. You’d think we were an offensive powerhouse the way commentors are calling for trades of max and Galchenyuk. 

How about supply them with some talent regardless of their native tongue and let them bloom like any other team would.

the d Corp needs to be blown up but max is still relatively young, a proven offensive talent and has shown enormous patience, accountability and leadership (yes I know it is rare to hear that) in the way he has handled the teams and his own failure this year. 

He shouldn’t have been made captain but that isn’t his fault, this team should have stuck with four assistants. He has worn the c with pride, dealt with media with upmost patience and honesty and I really think the added pressure of that affected his game and once that pressure reduced a bit as everyone wrote off the season he was able to hold the stick a little looser and find some puck luck. 

Pax, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, lekonen, Huron make a great top nine winger set. Trade Shaw and Plex, and being in some centre help and this team is not far from competing for years to come. 

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not think it is realistic to think that blowing up the team and gambling that other teams will hand over a better ensemble of players in return  is the way to go.

With Bergevin in charge? Nah, it's not realistic.

My viewpoint on hockey these days is pretty simple. If you're not a top 5 club, or you're not building to becoming a top 5 club? You need to tear down. The losses of Markov and Radulov after trading Subban for Weber has firmly put Montreal in a position of loss. There is no realistic addition that can be made to the club to turn them around. Add Tavares and this is still a club with a major lack of competent players on the left side of their defence. 

Tear the club down, rebuild through the draft, shoot for 2020-2021 to start going back for a Cup.

8 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I love how even a gdt turns into a ‘’trade so and so’’ pouting party on here.

Also love how commentors assume we can flip just about any player for young talent, as though teams are just dying to give up young twenty somethings that they’ve begun grooming.

How about the team explores the idea that Max (who apparently loves Mtl, just moved downtown with his young family) accepts another sweet deal of a contract and we hold onto the only certified goal scorer we’ve had in the past Oh maybe a decade. 

Hes still quite young and by moving the bloated  Contracts of Plex and Shaw at least combined with available cap space try to find a decent centre or even two mediocre ones and stop trying to love our only offensive weapons. You’d think we were an offensive powerhouse the way commentors are calling for trades of max and Galchenyuk. 

How about supply them with some talent regardless of their native tongue and let them bloom like any other team would.

the d Corp needs to be blown up but max is still relatively young, a proven offensive talent and has shown enormous patience, accountability and leadership (yes I know it is rare to hear that) in the way he has handled the teams and his own failure this year. 

He shouldn’t have been made captain but that isn’t his fault, this team should have stuck with four assistants. He has worn the c with pride, dealt with media with upmost patience and honesty and I really think the added pressure of that affected his game and once that pressure reduced a bit as everyone wrote off the season he was able to hold the stick a little looser and find some puck luck. 

Pax, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, lekonen, Huron make a great top nine winger set. Trade Shaw and Plex, and being in some centre help and this team is not far from competing for years to come. 

Patches is 29. You think he'll still be elite in five years? Please. And you think he'll throw away millions of dollars again just to please Bergevin? Please, again.

This is not about blame. It's about asset management as far as I'm concerned. The only way I keep Patches is if we sign Tavares. Otherwise, let him enter his declining years with a contending organization, in return for younger core pieces.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Patches is 29. You think he'll still be elite in five years? Please. And you think he'll throw away millions of dollars again just to please Bergevin? Please, again.

This is not about blame. It's about asset management as far as I'm concerned.

Well the original commment said 3-4 years, but yes I believe he has the skills and physical strength to be a strong contributor into his thirties. But it all comes down to cost.

i don’t think he cares about Bergevin but I do think he cares about family stability as he’s come out and said. And I believe him when he says he wants to be part of the solution in Mtl.

the returns people on the site expect for him are ludicrous and what he would return now is unacceptable.

nobody is giving a young future #1 C and more for him which is the consensus on what is acceptable from this site. 

That is asset management, PLEASE...

a player people here say is garbage and needs to go cause he’s washed up at 29 is going to somehow bring back 2-3 future core pieces??? 

Nevermind he is and has been the habs onlyconsistwnt threat and therefore easy to target for shut down  down by other teams. Get him some support as a contender would have for him and he is elite. 

Is he worth 7 million into his 30’s, not imo but if he will stay for 6 I think the value is better to keep him. If team continues to suck he is still a valuable commodity at 31 with a fair price tag. 

17 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

If team continues to suck he is still a valuable commodity at 31 with a fair price tag. 

They have sucked for the past three seasons.

15-16: no playoffs

16-17: had to fire coach to save season, first round exit

17-18: no playoffs so far

The Bergevin era dream is over.