Habs vs Caps - 7:30 EST.

Trizzak

5 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

You basically just explained why he should be fired.

I guess we will not agree. I am not saying he is without fault. Your question was why thought he had performed as well as any other GM. I think he has performed as well as any.

Anyone coming in would want to do their own evaluation, and then "tweak" the tam to their liking, before putting in a plan. MB has done more good moves than bad, his errors have been: Radulov and Sylvain Lefebvre.

I think Markov had to go, the same way I think Pelks has to go this year; but for the rest, I do not think there are any better GMs available to take MB's place. For that reason, I would stay with MB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I guess we will not agree. I am not saying he is without fault. Your question was why thought he had performed as well as any other GM. I think he has performed as well as any.

Anyone coming in would want to do their own evaluation, and then "tweak" the tam to their liking, before putting in a plan. MB has done more good moves than bad, his errors have been: Radulov and Sylvain Lefebvre.

I think Markov had to go, the same way I think Pelks has to go this year; but for the rest, I do not think there are any better GMs available to take MB's place. For that reason, I would stay with MB.

He has performed as well as any GM that has been fired and he has made WAY more mistakes than the two you’ve listed.  Most GM’s with his track record for a major team would have been fired long ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

- Bridge contract for Subban

- Keeping Desharnais as a top six centre

- Thinking the team's problem against Ottawa was they needed to get tougher.

- Skipping on Jagr due to a personal grudge.

- Skipping on Robinson because he was impatient and wanted JJ Daigneault in an NHL position.

- Hiring Therrien

- Publicly congratulating Subban on negotiating a number a couple hundred thousand higher than what Bergevin was offering.

- Going after Lecavalier and Briere hard

- Signing Briere when there was already too many centres so Therrien played a veteran natural centre on the wing.

- Letting Timmins draft Connor Crisp

- Acquiring Vanek and being fine with Therrien dropping him down the lineup, making the trade pointless.

- Needing to fill the 1RW spot, trading for Parenteau to make up for the Briere mistake. Therrien once again clearly doesn't like him. Has to be bought out.

- Prioritizing a 2RD over a 2LD when it was clear the plan needed to be about who would one day replace Markov, and not using young players like Beaulieu and Tinordi (who couldn't make Therrien happy) to do it.

- Fighting Subban tooth and nail on his new contract once again, this time publicly losing as everyone knew Molson had to step in.

- No strategy set by the coach for Galchenyuk to be a top six centre. Keeps Plekanec, Desharnais, and Eller which meant Therrien never had to try Galchenyuk at centre if he didn't want to. Could have traded someone to force Therrien's hand but did not.

- After the team's best season despite a second round exit for lack of scoring, Bergevin only signs Semin and Fleischmann. Still no decision on 2LD as Markov is getting older and as he does, the need turns into a 1LD.

- Does nothing when his Hart trophy goalie goes down. Relies on a rookie and a career backup on his way out. James Reimer is available all season to any team. Eventually goes to San Jose at the deadline for peanuts.

- Still won't trade a centre to make a spot for Galchenyuk. 

- Calls Subban a Hab for life when rumours break that Bergevin has been talking to teams about him. Threatens NHL action on the Canucks for talking openly about it. Talks more about how Gretzky was traded. Trades Subban the last day he can before the NMC is activated. 

- Chases Lucic, a left winger. Fails, so he tells remaining free agents he won't give them more than a one year deal. Perron says no. Radulov says yes but wants two years. Bergevin says one or none. Radulov signs. Habs for the fourth time acquire a top six RW with a temporary contract (Ryder, Vanek, Parenteau, Radulov)

- Blames the bad season on himself so nobody will be fired. Then blames it on injuries. Defends Subban trade by saying there's things about Subban we don't know about.

- Still has not filled the 2LD spot so Therrien plays Emelin with Weber. Eventually gives up and plays the old men together.

- Galchenyuk once again moved off centre after proving himself because he came back too early from an injury. Eventually re-signs Galchenyuk after telling the world he won't be a centre. This season proves it, as pretty much everyone gets a shot except Galchenyuk.

- After several failing seasons in the AHL as head coach, team allows Lefebvre to look for new work. Doesn't fill his spot, then when he fails, gives him his old job back.

- Trades the one guy who could actually fill the 1LD spot for Drouin. Decides Drouin will be a centre. 

- Doesn't re-sign Radulov or Markov after take it or leave it offers. 

- Trades Pateryn for something his wife said, for a guy who goes on a hot streak despite a career proving he's nothing more than a third pair guy. Protects third pair guy in expansion draft. Brings him up as a potential first pair partner for Weber. He's in the top four currently playing worse than almost any defenceman in the league.

There's more but I have run out of time and my finger is sore.

:halm:

Epic post, sir.

In terms of MB's job performance there is another, much simpler indicator: results on the ice.

2014: semi-finals, possible finals appearance if not for the knee-job on Price

2015: second-round exit due to inadequate offence

2016: missed playoffs

2017: first-round exit due to inadequate offence

2018: missed playoffs

See a pattern here? The further we go into MB's tenure, the worse the team has gotten. THIS is a "five year plan" for building a winner? Screw that, and screw the clown who brought us here.

• Upvote 1