Do we send Price home and tell him to get healthier for next year??

Metallica

With the way this season is going and the fact as of right now we are tied for 6th last in the NHL, do we shutdown Price? Send him home tell him to take it easy get the rest he needs and have him healthy for next season? This way we go for a top 3 pick in the draft. Or do we do what we always do push for a playoff spot come up short and pick in the middle missing out on top end prospects. I know it would be hard to tell a guy like price to get rest and stay home. I say from here on in trade our ufa's  call up the younger guys and give them a chance to show what they can do for the rest of the season. This way it gives you a better idea what we have in the system and what we need July 1st.

Nope.

He is healthy, he should play.

Besides, this team can't score enough to capitalize on Price's stellar play anyway, and with more wingers playing center than actual centermen, this problem will not be solved this season no matter what.

Players want to play.  Price isn't going to willingly go home for two and a half months just for the sake of it.  Not to mention the inevitable grievance that would be filed by the NHLPA and probably other teams for overtly tanking.  You can get away with that for the last game or two, not the last month or two of a season.

• dlbalr changed the title to Do we send Price home and tell him to get healthier for next year??

Since Price is healthy, this seems crazy to me. Can you imagine any other team taking aside its healthy franchise player and saying, 'hey bud, the season's a bust, go home and see you in six months?!?'

Just from a business standpoint, that's obviously unacceptable. Price is the ONLY Hab fans in other buildings might be willing to pay to see. It would represent an indefensible, untenable precedent.

Now if you want to argue that Price was probably fighting through an injury at the start of the season and should not have tried to play through it - that's a different, and much more plausible, argument.

Price isn't Gomez, being protected for a buyout. That in itself was an absurd situation. I'd say the closest you could get to "sitting" Price is having starts split a little differently. Even then, the team isn't eliminated from playoff contention. Yes, the odds are rough, but these professional athletes still want to make the playoffs. The Avs have ripped off an unlikely 10-0 run...anything is possible, despite the higher draft pick that fans are clamoring for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Price isn't Gomez, being protected for a buyout. That in itself was an absurd situation. I'd say the closest you could get to "sitting" Price is having starts split a little differently. Even then, the team isn't eliminated from playoff contention. Yes, the odds are rough, but these professional athletes still want to make the playoffs. The Avs have ripped off an unlikely 10-0 run...anything is possible, despite the higher draft pick that fans are clamoring for.

Sitting with a 1 in 66.6 chance they make playoffs, so yes you could say 'there is still a chance' and not mathematically out of it yet...but realistically they are toast. But, Habs likely cant say that publically for a couple more weeks

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Sitting with a 1 in 66.6 chance they make playoffs, so yes you could say 'there is still a chance' and not mathematically out of it yet...but realistically they are toast. But, Habs likely cant say that publically for a couple more weeks

I was speaking strictly in mathematical terms, not expectation.

7 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Concidering how horrible our division is and the leafs playing not so good lately...

if we get a big winningstreak Im not surprised if we could squeek into the playoffs...    

The main thing that would have me personally cling on to that hope is that I expected the Habs to get better as a team as the season progressed.

The fact is that the Habs continue to have one of the worst records in the entire league when it comes to the past 10 games of the season and so it will take a whole of a lot of

change.

Since people have had low, or are starting to lower their expectations of the team, it’s also been only very lightly talked about that Shea Weber has been out and seems to have no imminent return. That’s going to have hurt our chances as well in all likelihood, even if we try hard. 

This notion is ridiculous.  He is healthy, so he should do his job.  I do think it would be prudent to give Niemi more starts than one might normally however, given that the season is a writeoff..say one out of every 3 games or so.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, Trizzak said:

Nope.

He is healthy, he should play.

Besides, this team can't score enough to capitalize on Price's stellar play anyway, and with more wingers playing center than actual centermen, this problem will not be solved this season no matter what.

A wing and a player? :pray:

I think that is being lost in translation. 

He had symptoms of chronic fatigue.  Thats something that can happen with bad diet, and can be treated by fixing his diet, which is what they apparently did.  It was a short term thing and manageable.

It is unlikely he had chronic fatigue syndrome.  Thats a disease that doesn't go away.  Its unlikely he'd be playing at a high level now, if he had full blown fibromyalgia. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think that is being lost in translation. 

He had symptoms of chronic fatigue.  Thats something that can happen with bad diet, and can be treated by fixing his diet, which is what they apparently did.  It was a short term thing and manageable.

It is unlikely he had chronic fatigue syndrome.  Thats a disease that doesn't go away.  Its unlikely he'd be playing at a high level now, if he had full blown fibromyalgia. 

OK then! 

When I heard that, the first thing I thought of was that he has a young kid. Few things destroy sleep like babies and little kids.

Bit surprising that this elite athlete didn't know how to feed himself - ?

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OK then! 

When I heard that, the first thing I thought of was that he has a young kid. Few things destroy sleep like babies and little kids.

Bit surprising that this elite athlete didn't know how to feed himself - ?

How our body digests food changes over time. 

Its often gluten (wheat) related. Perhaps he was digesting it fine, and slowly it becomes a problem where it makes you more sluggish. Could be other foods too. 

Our body can change, and if we don't adjust our diet, then things that weren't problems before, become issues

It sure any of the reasons suggested here are were the actual cause

“I was always tired,” Price told TVA Sports. “A guy who eats well and sleeps well like me isn’t supposed to be tired like I was.”

Apparently Julien said he’s taking some more (or different) vitamins. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It sure any of the reasons suggested here are were the actual cause

“I was always tired,” Price told TVA Sports. “A guy who eats well and sleeps well like me isn’t supposed to be tired like I was.”

Apparently Julien said he’s taking some more (or different) vitamins. 

I didn't say it was gluten... I said thats one possible reason... for the record. 

But yes, he wasn't getting enough of something, or was getting too much of something else.... i don't know his daily diet or his blood results, just giving an example of what it could be.