Cleaning Bergevin's Mess

Commandant

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have over 20 downvotes in the last 24 hours.  Seems I angered someone and they are downvoting every one of my posts. 

:rolleyes:

Bunch of babies. 

• Upvote 1

I get so frustrated for a number of reasons when I read a report/article chronicling the moves MB has made. Commandment your article is titled well. Marc Bergevin's Mess!! 

It's frustrating to see what he has managed to do to our team over the past 5 years! 

It's frustrating to see the results.....the on-ice product which sits near the bottom of the league in most categories which means the vast majority of the other GM's have been doing a much better job than our GM.

It's frustrating to know that some of our players seem to have given up because they know they have pretty much zero chance of making the playoffs and morale and team spirit has to be pretty low.

It's frustrating, in hindsight I admit that neither I nor probably most us anticipated this, that Geoff Molson and Serge Savard brought in an unproven GM, who had never run a team at any level before, to be the man in charge of what was the league's most storied franchise. Why didn't we see that coming? 

It's frustrating when you look at what the management of the Montreal Canadiens have done and the people they have put in place over the past 23 years. Over the past 23 years the GM's running our "most storied franchise" have been Rejean Houle, Andre Savard, Bob Gainey, Pierre Gauthier and now Marc Bergevin. Not one of those people have turned out to be very good or outstanding GM's, or today have a reputation or legacy that they were one of the best in the league. Why haven't we had leadership that went out and got the best person in hockey to run our team. Where is the "Sam Pollock" we desperately need?

It's frustrating when you look at the list of our non-hockey presidents who have run our team since 1978, now 30 years running. Morgan McCammon, Ronald Correy, Pierre Boivin, Geoff Molson. Not one solid hockey man who today is remembered as a great leader or builder.  

It's frustrating that Geoff Molson has sat back and let this continue, missing the playoffs two years out of three. If this was in the private corporate world, with those results and decline, Geoff Molson would have made a change already and his own position would be in jeopardy. Is there any group or board who can pressure him to do something? 

So what can we do? What needs to happen to get Molson to put an end to this and let someone immensely more qualified to take over and begin putting in place a solid plan for the future to give the team and it's fans "a hope and a future"?

Who's the best qualified to clean up "The Mess" and when will they be put in place?? 

At present, for all fans, it's very frustrating! 

• Upvote 1

Good article and upvote from me.

I think it is obvious that he hasn't changed with the times. He hasn't seen the direction the NHL is going and has been going for some time. He has tried to build the teams of early 2000's and today's speed and mobility is killing us as we can't compete in this area. This is why Subban was dumb and Sergachev was only good if he kept Markov and Radu to compete for the cup right now.

Our defense needs at least two pieces that are mobile and quality puck movers and we need at least one top centre. This is the bare minimum for us and these pieces will not be easy to get.

The trading of Patches needs to be a home run and if we can get some good return for Plex and Byron that would be a bonus (will miss byron a lot and part of me wants to keep him depending on his salary demands).

Some shrewd moves at the draft (and the small possibility of picking #1) and we could be in good shape in 3 years or so.

I hope MB isn't the one to do this but I think he will be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I have over 20 downvotes in the last 24 hours.  Seems I angered someone and they are downvoting every one of my posts. 

I think some people on here have ego problems. They forget this is a place hab fans can come an vent and/or voice there opinions on the team/players/organization/season freely. But the moment you disagree with them they feel the right to downvote you, kind of sad if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think some people on here have ego problems. They forget this is a place hab fans can come an vent and/or voice there opinions on the team/players/organization/season freely. But the moment you disagree with them they feel the right to downvote you, kind of sad if you ask me.

I don't sweat downvotes or upvotes myself, but - yeah. What kind of petty, failed human are you to go on a personal vendetta against a poster on a Habs site? Especially a guy who is consistently one of the most informed and thoughtful posters on here. It's pathetic.

• Upvote 1

If i say something dumb... downvote it... whatever.  You want to anonymously tell me you think the post is dumb?  Sure, go ahead.

If you go and downvote every post ive made for like 2 weeks cause you disagree with me.  Youve got some mental issues... just saying.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

The Challenges a new GM would face in cleaning up Marc Bergevin's Mess.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/01/27/marc-bergevins-mess/

I think the only big problem will be in development of players, and scouting of players.  Thats a weakness with this organization.  I think drafting is ok, but could be better.

As fare as the big club goes there is a lot to like for a new GM. Star goaltender is locked up, not to many players with NTC, a lot of cap space, a lot of picks. So if a new GM is hired, He can come and retool this team fairly easy.  Unless he wants a full blown rebuild, Then there could be some challenges.

Step 1) retool big club 

Step 2) fix the scouting and development programs 

I think Molson realizes he is stuck. Because frankly apart from raising your hopes, what does a new GM really bring? Your still stuck with the mandatory francophone GM who will hire another francophone coach -- if the following year Julien cant reship it..  Molson is gonna have to still compensate MB -and remember molson is still paying million or two for the previous coach. There is something F---ed in Mtl... The taxes the media... thats scare UFAs, the only real solution is getting better drafting IMO..  so im more and more inclined to be a Pro-tanker

because the real question is who replaces Bergevin?  will Brisebois really do better? and if not who else is on the list??? ..WE should follow what Toronto did....no doubt and no alternative really IMO... I do think we need a new president that's for sure... Molson has to go back to making watery beer

There is no francophone GM rule

Its one thing for a coach who has media availablity after every practice, after every game.  Gives almost 200 pressers a year. 

Its different for a GM who does 6-10 a year. 

Remember this team considered Jim Nill, before Nill pulled out due to his wife being diagnosed with cancer. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

There is no francophone GM rule

Its one thing for a coach who has media availablity after every practice, after every game.  Gives almost 200 pressers a year. 

Its different for a GM who does 6-10 a year. 

Remember this team considered Jim Nill, before Nill pulled out due to his wife being diagnosed with cancer. 

Of course there is a language rule, who you trying to kid. No Habs GM hasn't been either French or bi-lingual, so safe to say that aint changing this year or next.

There is no rule period if Molson decides to change his mind. It's self imposed.

That said it's always been clear to me that the team rule (self imposed, and Bergevin actually brought this up about drafting) is if the two subjects are equal, they go with the French Canadian. If one subject is clearly better, they go with the best. 

The problem in the Bergevin era is they are hardly ever even getting the best Quebéc has to offer. To wait for Lefebvre instead of hiring the best Junior coach in the Q is an example of that. It's who you know not what you can do in Montreal right now. And that entire culture needs to change before this team can become elite again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1