Would you trade our top 5 pick or draft????

Metallica

A top 5 pick could get us that top line center we need or that top D we need. So would you trade that pick to get it or look for the future and draft ?

Me I look at this team and I think we just need a retool.  If that's the direction this organization is going then I look at trading the pick. Thats what we should of did last time we had a top 3 pick, but we drafted and took galchenyuk.  But if its a full rebuild then I draft.

Any piece is available for trade.  It depends on the offer. 

If the offer is a young enough, proven enough, and on a good contract centre, I would consider trading the pick... but I mean those would be huge factors, age, contract, years of team control, and is he proven as a top centre. 

Id also wait til after the lottery to know the exact draft position before moving it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Any piece is available for trade.  It depends on the offer. 

If the offer is a young enough, proven enough, and on a good contract centre, I would consider trading the pick... but I mean those would be huge factors, age, contract, years of team control, and is he proven as a top centre. 

Id also wait til after the lottery to know the exact draft position before moving it. 

Oh I know should of put down at draft day. But the thing that worries me is the guy in charge of making that decision. I have lost my faith in Bergevin and think at this point any move he makes is to try and save his job and not what's best for the team. I believe the Drouin trade was made  just to keep the media off his back about the PK trade.

• Like 1

Agree with Commandant - it all depends on the offer; and yes, wait until after the lottery before deciding what to do with the pick.

Also agree with Metallica - I don't want a proven failure of a GM making these decisions.

1 minute ago, illWill said:

Alzner and our 1st for a signed Ekman-Larsson

I don't think phx would do that but if you take out Alzner and add Mete and have them add Strome 

Arizona gets Mete + 1st round pick 

Habs get Strome + Ekman Larsson 

That could be a good deal.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

I don't think phx would do that but if you take out Alzner and add Mete and have them add Strome 

Arizona gets Mete + 1st round pick 

Habs get Strome + Ekman Larsson 

That could be a good deal.

Strome is a bust of a prospect.  He's not a #1 C of the future, probably not a #2 either.  He's not worth much of anything considering he can't crack the worst team in the league right now. 

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Strome is a bust of a prospect.  He's not a #1 C of the future, probably not a #2 either.  He's not worth much of anything considering he can't crack the worst team in the league right now. 

Bust? Thats a bit far for a 20-year-old AHL rookie with 40 points in 30 AHL games. 1.3 PPG in the AHL as a 20 year old rookie is not bust material. 

Did they expect a 3rd overall pick to make the team by age 20? sure.  And he may not live up to the draft hype, but I think he could be a top line centre still, just not ready yet. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bust? Thats a bit far for a 20-year-old AHL rookie with 40 points in 30 AHL games. 1.3 PPG in the AHL as a 20 year old rookie is not bust material. 

Did they expect a 3rd overall pick to make the team by age 20? sure.  And he may not live up to the draft hype, but I think he could be a top line centre still, just not ready yet.

Admittedly, I'm biased a bit (I don't trust any of the Stromes) but this is a player who has had a few looks in Arizona and flopped each time, including this season where he came up after lighting it up and worked his way out of the lineup in a hurry.  He can score in the minors but given how bad he has been in his NHL looks, I don't think he's not the franchise centre they were hoping for.  The fact that they're not playing him with the big club now despite the fact they're miles out of a playoff spot is also telling.  I see him becoming the next of a long list of players who are too good for the minors but their skillset doesn't translate to NHL success.  Personally, I wouldn't give up much for him.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Admittedly, I'm biased a bit (I don't trust any of the Stromes) but this is a player who has had a few looks in Arizona and flopped each time, including this season where he came up after lighting it up and worked his way out of the lineup in a hurry.  He can score in the minors but given how bad he has been in his NHL looks, I don't think he's not the franchise centre they were hoping for.  The fact that they're not playing him with the big club now despite the fact they're miles out of a playoff spot is also telling.  I see him becoming the next of a long list of players who are too good for the minors but their skillset doesn't translate to NHL success.  Personally, I wouldn't give up much for him.

I think Strome could be a very solid 2nd line center. I think having Strome in the minors has more to do with all the uncertainty with the club then his development as a player.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He may never be the guy they expected at 3rd overall, but he could be a very useful, and very good player IMO. 

Matthew i don't trust at all.  That kid can't skate at all.