2018 PyeongChang Olympics Thread

dlbalr

The 2018 Winter Olympics are here without a whole lot of fanfare (blame the NHL not stopping its schedule for a decent-sized chunk of that).  Will Russia the 'Olympic Athletes from Russia' walk away with the men's hockey title?  Let's use this thread to discuss the Olympic events over the next few weeks.

I hate NBC's coverage. Even worse live coverage than usual. And if they hold off on showing something in the afternoon, you can be sure they are saving an American medal for primetime. Meaning if they show an event in the afternoon, you can bet an American is not going to medal.

Curling coverage is especially bad. They aired the 2nd semi on a 13 hour delay and are showing it again 3 hours after that rather than airing the bronze match live. Gold medal will also be a 13 hour delay, I believe. Have to stream to watch anything in a timely manner.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, dlbalr said:

I thought they were showing a lot more stuff live this year?  That's certainly the way they were advertising it at least.

Everything is available live online, but it's just the international video feed and doesn't always have commentary. Hockey, alpine, and figure skating are the only thing the are consistently airing live on TV. Only a couple other events are live each day. 

I watched the Canada/Czech hockey game today (Lapierre leading off the shootout :1vomit:) and Jan Kovar is a name to keep an eye on.  His KHL deal is up at the end of this season and I think he'll garner some NHL interest this offseason even though he's having a quieter year than he has the last few.  Considering the Habs need centres, I wonder if they'll kick the tires on him?

What a shame.  No medal for Canadian curling teams.

I heard they were both favorite for gold medal.

As for USA - Canada women hockey,  it's been what, 3 years since USA started winning anything important BUT the Olympics ?

They won what they deserved.

Who'd have thought people would have been saying "If only Canada had Ben Scrivens for the semi-final"?  Kevin Poulin picked a bad time to play a terrible game against Germany in the semis.  Meanwhile, the Scrivenator was unavailable due to injury.

46 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Hell of an effort by the German men's hockey team. RAISE GOC'S CEILING!

How bad is it that when I saw him playing against Canada in the semis, that was literally the first thought that came to my mind?