Retool or rebuild. That is the question?

titanfan

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They need two.top.6 centres and 2 puck moving left handed d.

The only player i see on audition time for those spots is reilly right now.  Can he be a #4?  I doubt it but hes getting the chance.

That's on the demand side, I was trying to figure out what we have to offer: who we will keep and who will definitely be dealt or waived at training camp next fall.

With current roster with the top 2 center spots open for new players:

67-(stud 1C)-92

27-(decent 2C)-11

41-24-65

20-25-43

I don't know where 62, 54, 38,  McCarron, Rychel fit if we retool the forwards. Froese and L. Shaw are ok 4th liners

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That's on the demand side, I was trying to figure out what we have to offer: who we will keep and who will definitely be dealt or waived at training camp next fall.

67-(stud 1C)-92

27-(decent 2C)-11

41-24-65

20-25-43

I don't know where 62, 54, 38,  McCarron, Rychel fit if we retool the forwards. Froese and L. Shaw are ok 4th liners

I don't think Carr is going to be ahead of Lehkonen, Hudon, and Scherbak next season when he isn't ahead of them now. 

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

67-(stud 1C)-92

27-(decent 2C)-11

41-24-65

20-25-43

Montreal has nothing to offer in a trade to acquire a stud and/or decent 1/2C.

Montreal could sign a free agent but their current team situation is toxic. Someone would have to come in an overpayment if at all. Then it has to be someone who Julien's system works with. 

Montreal has nobody drafted ready to come in as a 1/2C either.

In other words, expect another bottom 10 finish.

32 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Montreal has nothing to offer in a trade to acquire a stud and/or decent 1/2C.

Montreal could sign a free agent but their current team situation is toxic. Someone would have to come in an overpayment if at all. Then it has to be someone who Julien's system works with. 

Montreal has nobody drafted ready to come in as a 1/2C either.

In other words, expect another bottom 10 finish.

I would be willing to bet that even without filling the centre positions that Montreal does not finish bottom 10 next year.  Price returning to form would put them on the bubble. Healthy weber. The first 20 games this year Montreal looked very good.  They came out on the wrong side of a lot of u those games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

67-(stud 1C)-92

27-(decent 2C)-11

41-24-65

20-25-43

More like..

? - ? - 92

62 - ? - 11

41 - 24 - 65

20 - 42 - 54

67 and 27 will likely be traded (Not saying I want 27 traded, just guessing). 

I think they also move De La Rose. Possibly McCarron and Scherbek as well. 

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

More like..

? - ? - 92

62 - ? - 11

41 - 24 - 65

20 - 42 - 54

67 and 27 will likely be traded (Not saying I want 27 traded, just guessing). 

I think they also move De La Rose. Possibly McCarron and Scherbek as well. 

a lot of trading isn't it

The only really big chip is Patches, and he is not going to bring back a #1C. No one on this team will, and no one in our system will. At most we might be able to get back a potential #1C prospect in exchange for Patches plus, IMHO; and that doesn't help the team next year, which is clearly MB's goal.

Tavares is the answer, and I don't rule it out, because I don't believe Montreal is as unattractive to UFAs as many people think. If Tavares is the ambitious type, like PK Subban of Carey Price - i.e., the kind of guy who embraces the spotlight and relishes the thought of leading an iconic franchise to glory - then he will take the Habs seriously as a destination. But it will be incredibly competitive. Teams like the Sharks, Canucks, and (worst of all) Rags will be able to match any offer we make, financially. So it's a long shot.

Other than that, there is simply no way we are filling all the glaring holes in this roster in one summer. I believe we need to think in terms of incremental improvements. Don't fixate on the mythical Stud #1C; but FFS get at least one legitimate top-6 C, preferably in his early to mid 20s. (Hello, Nuge). Start there and move forward.

• Upvote 1

Tavares

Stastny

Bozak

J. Thornton

Plekanec

My prediction is that at least one of those centers ends up on our team next year. Take your pick of which ^_^

37 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Tavares

Stastny

Bozak

J. Thornton

Plekanec

My prediction is that at least one of those centers ends up on our team next year. Take your pick of which ^_^

:lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol:

Bozak $7m/7yr as a third attempt after offering up $14m/7yr to Tavares was turned down and even being spurned by the 50 year old joe Thornton, despite offering $8m/7yr, because MB loves retirement deals to old guys who have never won anything.

pleks is a given as the nd line centre, otherwise Julien might actually be forced to try Galchenyuk at centre.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bozak $7m/7yr as a third attempt after offering up $14m/7yr to Tavares was turned down and even being spurned by the 50 year old joe Thornton, despite offering $8m/7yr, because MB loves retirement deals to old guys who have never won anything.

pleks is a given as the nd line centre, otherwise Julien might actually be forced to try Galchenyuk at centre.

Honestly, none of those options are very attractive (except Tavares, obviously). Thornton on a short-term deal would be better than Bozak or Stastny on massive overpays with huge term, contracts which are sure to become millstones. If Tavares fails, a trade for a top-6 C becomes an absolute necessity IMHO. (And sure, if we want to re-sign Pleks on a sensible deal to be a third-line C, hey, I have no problem with that).

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Tavares

Stastny

Bozak

J. Thornton

Plekanec

Shouldn't Backlund also be inn that list before Pleks and Thornton?

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Honestly, none of those options are very attractive (except Tavares, obviously). Thornton on a short-term deal would be better than Bozak or Stastny on massive overpays with huge term, contracts which are sure to become millstones. If Tavares fails, a trade for a top-6 C becomes an absolute necessity IMHO. (And sure, if we want to re-sign Pleks on a sensible deal to be a third-line C, hey, I have no problem with that).

I think we should be blowing it up now, but if we don’t sign Tavares (which I think is highly unlikely - I really think he will sign with the rangers, or go to California), than it’s asinine continuing with this core.  Trade Price, Weber, Maxpac, Petry, and Gallagher and start from scratch.  The only guys I’d keep are Galchenyuk and Drouin from the current core.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think we should be blowing it up now, but if we don’t sign Tavares (which I think is highly unlikely - I really think he will sign with the rangers, or go to California), than it’s asinine continuing with this core.  Trade Price, Weber, Maxpac, Petry, and Gallagher and start from scratch.  The only guys I’d keep are Galchenyuk and Drouin from the current core.

Last year a radio station asked him if he'd ever see himself playing for the Rangers and he said he, "absolutely hated the Rangers" so him going to the Rags would be like Brad Marchand coming here.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hear you, but given that MB was apparently asking for roster players in return for Patches at the deadline, the Habs are clearly not prepared to blow it up and rebuild. Personally, I'm fine with that, provided we get young core pieces back in the deals we do make.

A couple of major needs could potential be filled this offseason with a little luck.  If John Tavares decides to go to free agency there's always a chance that the Habs can land him.  Which fills the most obvious need of a #1 center.  The Habs will also have a chance at winning the draft lottery, which could bring in Rasmus Dahlin.  Of course his fills another major hole as the top pair LD.  If both of these miraculous things were to happen, there would have to be some trades made to shed some short and long term salary as well.

Five of six top forwards for next year would be John Tavares, Max Pacioretty (at least for one season), Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, and Brendan Gallagher.  Depending on how far along we think Scherbak is or could be by next season, he could be added to that group.  The top 4 defense would also see nice change with Weber and Dahlin as legit 1st pair guys, and Petry and Mete as a nice 2nd pair.

This is how I would line them up.  If you think about it though, this would allow a 3rd line with any combination of Danault, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon. If that's not scoring depth, than I don't know what is  (even if a couple of guys from that group are dealt).  I'm sure the Habs have a different plan.  I doubt they play Galchenyuk at center, maybe Drouin in that spot.  Also maybe Scherbak isn't even in the top 6, it might be Hudon or Lehkonen or Byron.  The defense is a little more straight forward.

Drouin               Tavares                Gallagher

Pacioretty        Galchenyuk          Scherbak

Dahlin               Weber

Mete                 Petry

The odds are certainly against one of these things happening let alone both, but there is hope for a quick (2 year?) turn around.  Right?:spamafote:

4 hours ago, John B said:

A couple of major needs could potential be filled this offseason with a little luck.  If John Tavares decides to go to free agency there's always a chance that the Habs can land him.  Which fills the most obvious need of a #1 center.  The Habs will also have a chance at winning the draft lottery, which could bring in Rasmus Dahlin.  Of course his fills another major hole as the top pair LD.  If both of these miraculous things were to happen, there would have to be some trades made to shed some short and long term salary as well.

Five of six top forwards for next year would be John Tavares, Max Pacioretty (at least for one season), Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, and Brendan Gallagher.  Depending on how far along we think Scherbak is or could be by next season, he could be added to that group.  The top 4 defense would also see nice change with Weber and Dahlin as legit 1st pair guys, and Petry and Mete as a nice 2nd pair.

This is how I would line them up.  If you think about it though, this would allow a 3rd line with any combination of Danault, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon. If that's not scoring depth, than I don't know what is  (even if a couple of guys from that group are dealt).  I'm sure the Habs have a different plan.  I doubt they play Galchenyuk at center, maybe Drouin in that spot.  Also maybe Scherbak isn't even in the top 6, it might be Hudon or Lehkonen or Byron.  The defense is a little more straight forward.

Drouin               Tavares                Gallagher

Pacioretty        Galchenyuk          Scherbak

Dahlin               Weber

Mete                 Petry

The odds are certainly against one of these things happening let alone both, but there is hope for a quick (2 year?) turn around.  Right?:spamafote:

I like that mix of top 6, I would play Reilly with Weber and I would let Mete bulk up and play lots of minutes in Laval.

yes I am hopeful like you

38 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Riely is a #7 d-man. Him with Weber is a joke 

He is the better of all the non-waiver excempt left-Ds in the roster right now. I am not joking, just stating the fact that we can use Mete's waiver excemptjon like we used Hudon's last year

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is the better of all the non-waiver excempt left-Ds in the roster right now. I am not joking, just stating the fact that we can use Mete's waiver excemptjon like we used Hudon's last year

But Why?

If he's good enough to be a regular, no reason to use the waiver exemption. 

If he's getting minutes, then play him. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But Why?

If he's good enough to be a regular, no reason to use the waiver exemption. 

If he's getting minutes, then play him. 

Because Mete cannot cover for Petry's turnovers and neither of them are physical, Mete gets pushed around and a full season would wear him down.

Reilly is bigger and hasn't looked out of place