Retool or rebuild. That is the question?

titanfan

One thing I'm really grateful for as an indolent opinionated uninformed bigmouth is that there are all you guys here who know so damned much about the team and the league. Wonderful. Now I'll get back to being an indolent,..opini.....:huh:

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh, size. 

If the argument is covering for their partner, Mete is the better defensive player (though Reilly has more offense),

You are probably right.

I don't really know. My preference in stead of Mete/Riley or drafting Dahlin is to trade: One of Byron/Lenkohnen/A.Shaw, Any D except Weber and two 2nd round draft picks to Arizona for Ekman-Larsson in Arizona or Colorado for Tyson Barry or Ottawa for Erik Carlsson .

or something like that

15 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think it would take much better assets to land any of those three players. Not 3rd liners, #5 defensemen and 2nd round. More like 1st rounder, #3 defense and first liner.

I agree with you... with the caveat that i think it will cost even more for erik karlsson

The other problem is cap implications if the plan is to sign Tavares.  Dahlin's contract would be capped for 3 years.  There's also longer team control than OEL (1 year before UFA), Karlsson (1 year before UFA), and Barrie (3 years before UFA).  I realize that they can be resigned, but will they want to stay in Montreal and for how much?

If Montreal had a cup contender, I think the players would want to stay.

I do not know other teams well enough to play GM, let me say it this way: If we can land Tavares, the only draft pick I care to keep is 1st (to have a chance at oDahlin) and my core forwards would be John B's :

Drouin,  Gallagher, Pacioretty , Galchenyuk, Scherbak

I would trade any of the rest (drafts and players) for a top LD to retool in 2018.

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo

Pretty good night for the tank so far..

Habs lose, Rangers win, Ottawa wins, hopefully Detroit and Vancouver can find some points.

need a top 4 pick 

44 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Pretty good night for the tank so far..

Habs lose, Rangers win, Ottawa wins, hopefully Detroit and Vancouver can find some points.

need a top 4 pick 

Why do we need a top 4?

We need a top 3... there is little difference between 4 and 8 IMO.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Worst road record in the league. 

Unfortunately only six more road games compared to seven home games. I could see there being 8-10 points in the home games and at most 4 points in the road games.

Those home games are against Dallas, Pittsburgh, Florida, Washington, Detroit, New Jersey, and Winnipeg... 3 top teams, 3 wildcard battlers, and Detroit. A losing record is likely, if not guaranteed. 

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why do we need a top 4?

We need a top 3... there is little difference between 4 and 8 IMO.

I guess we have different opinions.

I see four can’t miss prospects and it gets a little muddy 5-9.

15 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I think its more we have 0 elite prospects but we do have about 4 prospects if developed right could turn into good useful NHL players.

Scherbak 

Mete

Juulsen 

Lehkonen 

Could become very good useful players but they're not elite cant miss prospects. We need more of those type of prospectS.

At one point we had Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Mcdonagh in our system as can't miss top prospects. We have been no where close to that In years. We need to get back to that.

11 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think its more we have 0 elite prospects but we do have about 4 prospects if developed right could turn into good useful NHL players.

Scherbak 

Mete

Juulsen 

Lehkonen 

Could become very good useful players but they're not elite cant miss prospects. We need more of those type of prospectS.

At one point we had Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Mcdonagh in our system as can't miss top prospects. We have been no where close to that In years. We need to get back to that.

I was talking about the upcoming draft.. there, in my opinion, are 4 elite prospects..

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and Zadina. Hughes looks to be pretty darn good as well. 

53 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I was talking about the upcoming draft.. there, in my opinion, are 4 elite prospects..

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and Zadina. Hughes looks to be pretty darn good as well. 

Oh ok sorry my bad.

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I guess I'm just not willing to call a guy "can't miss" and the "surefire #4" when he is 8 months younger than Ryan Poehling (30 points in 33 games) and has 28 points in 36 games, no matter who his father is. 

I mean its decent and all, but its not putting him with Zadina and Svechknikov into a group of 4..... and its not considerably better than the value of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, etc....

I see many rankings and many mock drafts that don't have tkachuk at 4.  Its not just me.... Look at all the draft lists... He isn't anywhere near consensus at the position. While nearly every ranking service has the same top 3... number 4 varies, some have boqvist, some have tkachuk, some have wahlstrom, some have someone else. 

So I'm not sure why we NEED to be in that spot.  Nor am I convinced that there is any consensus out there that he's an elite prospect with the other 3. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Price was a high pick and hoped would be a blue chip prospect, but wasn't a lock as goalies are odd bunch to project.

The rest no.

McDonagh was gone before Gallagher was drafted and no one ever said he was cant miss. Same as Subban who was passed over by most teams twice.

Sergachev/Galchenyuk/Price were top ten picks and the rest were not.

Cant miss prospects arnt on the board when Habs normally pick in later 1st round.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I guess I'm just not willing to call a guy "can't miss" and the "surefire #4" when he is 8 months younger than Ryan Poehling (30 points in 33 games) and has 28 points in 36 games, no matter who his father is. 

I mean its decent and all, but its not putting him with Zadina and Svechknikov into a group of 4..... and its not considerably better than the value of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, etc....

I see many rankings and many mock drafts that don't have tkachuk at 4.  Its not just me.... Look at all the draft lists... He isn't anywhere near consensus at the position. While nearly every ranking service has the same top 3... number 4 varies, some have boqvist, some have tkachuk, some have wahlstrom, some have someone else. 

So I'm not sure why we NEED to be in that spot.  Nor am I convinced that there is any consensus out there that he's an elite prospect with the other 3. 

Again, we just have different opinions. I think he’s the third best prospect in the group.

all the “experts” had Matthews, Laine, and Puljuarvi as a lock at the top 3 and we know how that turned out.

I see Tkachuk as a top prospect, you and many others don’t. Oh well.

Of course, but here is the point.

The fact that many don't see him as the fourth best prospect means we dont NEED to get a top 4 pick to get him. 

There is a good chance he is available at 5 or 6.