Predators @ Canadiens 7PM

Doors will open 30 minutes early so DJ Charley Brown can do his best to keep the crowd from cheering for the visiting team, while 5,000 fans get Carey Price bobbleheads to sell on eBay. Some defenceman on Nashville is leading them in scoring while they battle Winnipeg for the top spot in the west. Marc Bergevin might be there hiding behind a plant.

Related Reading: Nashville Predators players invade Montreal Children's Hospital with Atrium mysteriously named after one of their players

Likely Lineups (will update if changed)

Habs

Pacioretty - Byron - Hudon

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Scherbak

Deslauriers - Froese - Shaw

Alzner - Petry

Morrow - Benn

Mete - Schlemko

Price

Predators

Forsberg - Johanssen - Arvidsson

Fiala - Turris - Smith

Hartnell - Bonino - Jarnkrok

Salomaki - Sissons - Watson

Josi - Ellis

Ekholm - Some defenceman

Emelin - Weber

Rinne

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Take Morrow out and put Marc Bergevin in instead. Force him to play all 60 minutes, or at least make him responsible for 'stopping' PK Subban. That should be suitable punishment. 

For me suitable punishment is when he is permanently gone to NY. Hopefully it’s some while like Albany IR Syracuse rather than NYC.

As much of a die hard as I am I’m going to be rooting for Nashville tonight. 

I’ve been trying to look at the positive side of moving P.K. since the day the trade went down but it has become blatantly obvious that it was a huge organizational mistake. 

I wont elaborate and harp on all the obvious points people have posted since day one. All I want to add is that this organization should NEVER EVER trade a home grown superstar who has the personality and the cohõnes to wear the CH proudly both in the good times and the bad. 

He is/was a generational player that comes along once in a blue moon and we let him go. 

And for that reason alone here’s a big F*#k you to everyone that has their fingerprints all over this. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

As much of a die hard as I am I’m going to be rooting for Nashville tonight. 

I’ve been trying to look at the positive side of moving P.K. since the day the trade went down but it has become blatantly obvious that it was a huge organizational mistake. 

I wont elaborate and harp on all the obvious points people have posted since day one. All I want to add is that this organization should NEVER EVER trade a home grown superstar who has the personality and the cohõnes to wear the CH proudly both in the good times and the bad. 

He is/was a generational player that comes along once in a blue moon and we let him go. 

And for that reason alone here’s a big F*#k you to everyone that has their fingerprints all over this. 

AMEN,  BROTHER.

MB should have been strung up from yardarm the second that F**KING MORONIC TRADE was made. Better late than never.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Take Morrow out and put Marc Bergevin in instead. Force him to play all 60 minutes, or at least make him responsible for 'stopping' PK Subban. That should be suitable punishment. 

This is an early contender for 'post of the year'; I can think of few things that would make me feel better than watching MB get hurt by a PK one-timer.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I like Shea Weber.

I liked Denis Savard, Mark Recchi, Martin Rucinsky, Shayne Corson, and heck I liked Scott Gomez too.

It's never really about Weber but Bergevin. As I've said I actually feel bad for Shea. He never wanted to be here. There is a shadow over his career in Montreal that will never pass. If he plays two more seasons here I'll be very surprised. I'm sure his agent has already had a talk with Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I like Shea Weber.

I also like Shea Weber and he has been great as a Hab. The trade obviously looks terrible right now because Nashville has a better TEAM and Weber has been injured on a worse TEAM. Both players are elite, just different. It bugs me when I hear people saying the trade was a disaster, it wasn't. Yes it hurt losing PK and the entertainment he brought, the charity and his play, but the trade wasn't the reason why this team is sitting out of the playoffs today. That narrative is foolish and a cop out

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's never really about Weber but Bergevin. As I've said I actually feel bad for Shea. He never wanted to be here. There is a shadow over his career in Montreal that will never pass. If he plays two more seasons here I'll be very surprised. I'm sure his agent has already had a talk with Bergevin.

I think Weber will be around for a couple more years if for no other reason to take the Habs out of the cap recapture window (they're subject to it as well as Nashville and it will take two more years for the cumulative cap hit to exceed salary paid to get them out of it).

Just now, dlbalr said:

I think Weber will be around for a couple more years if for no other reason to take the Habs out of the cap recapture window (they're subject to it as well as Nashville and it will take two more years for the cumulative cap hit to exceed salary paid to get them out of it).

They might want to do that but if Shea Weber, a very respected player is asking for a trade, they will move him. It would look very ugly if a trade request goes public and Montreal won't move him for cap recapture fear.

Also I guess I got wrong info on Bergevin being in New York tonight. That was last night. Never believe HFBoards.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I liked Denis Savard, Mark Recchi, Martin Rucinsky, Shayne Corson, and heck I liked Scott Gomez too.

Ok?

Don’t feel too bad for him hell hes a multimillionaire player that will probably go down as a hall of famer. I think people are being a little too hysterical about it, Shea has been great for Montreal and yes this year is in the dumps but I see far too many emotional responses being thrown around here because of  it this year. He will be fine and I can’t wait until he’s back so I can watch him play again.

I’m also really happy for PK too he deserves all the good things that come to him.

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I also like Shea Weber and he has been great as a Hab. The trade obviously looks terrible right now because Nashville has a better TEAM and Weber has been injured on a worse TEAM. Both players are elite, just different. It bugs me when I hear people saying the trade was a disaster, it wasn't. Yes it hurt losing PK and the entertainment he brought, the charity and his play, but the trade wasn't the reason why this team is sitting out of the playoffs today. That narrative is foolish and a cop out

Completely agree!

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Isn't Montreal's portion of the recapture penalty ridiculously low? Like less than a minimum contract?

Also, if Weber gets spiteful and decides to retire early instead of the LTIR route, do you really think the NHL will hold firm with penalizing Nashville and Montreal to the fullest extent? No way Bettman saddles Nashville with a crippling cap penalty.

55 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Isn't Montreal's portion of the recapture penalty ridiculously low? Like less than a minimum contract?

Also, if Weber gets spiteful and decides to retire early instead of the LTIR route, do you really think the NHL will hold firm with penalizing Nashville and Montreal to the fullest extent? No way the Billionaire's Boys Club saddles Nashville with a crippling cap penalty.

fixed that for you

The biggest problem with the Weber/Subban deal was always the four years of age difference.  Weber while still good is now coming out of his prime.  Subban is in the midst of his, and probably going to win his second Norris Trophy.

The second biggest problem with the Weber/Subban deal is that Weber is the old school, defenceman.  He can score on the powerplay cause of his big shot, but he's not a good puck mover and he doesn't lead offense 5v5. 

These two issues are coming up big time in Montreal this year.  An older defenceman whose spent a bit more time injured than normal, and as a group, we really lack puck movers. 

Even though Weber is still a very good player, It was a stupid trade then, its a stupid trade now. 

Well in today's Nhl you no longer need gritty players and power forwards to win. You need speed from the back end and you need play makers up front with speed.

Thats the down fall of Bergevin, he doesn't understand today's NHL and has failed to adjust to it.

The teams that are thriving in today's NHL have a GM and coach that understand and have made the right adjustment to there team to have success in the league.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The biggest problem with the Weber/Subban deal was always the four years of age difference.  Weber while still good is now coming out of his prime.  Subban is in the midst of his, and probably going to win his second Norris Trophy.

The second biggest problem with the Weber/Subban deal is that Weber is the old school, defenceman.  He can score on the powerplay cause of his big shot, but he's not a good puck mover and he doesn't lead offense 5v5. 

These two issues are coming up big time in Montreal this year.  An older defenceman whose spent a bit more time injured than normal, and as a group, we really lack puck movers. 

Even though Weber is still a very good player, It was a stupid trade then, its a stupid trade now. 

The reason why it looks stupid is because if Bergevin  was looking at trading a guy like PK he should of got a number one center, Other wise you don't make that trade.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't understand how Weber is coming out of his prime. What sort of data suggests that? He was on pace for his usual near 20 goal, 30 assist season before he sustained an injury not related to age. He is still an elite player despite being cast as a senior citizen at 32. Players fall off at different ages, there's no exact drop off number. Speculating on the future is not a fair argument when discussing a trade. 

I mentioned earlier that the Habs troubles this season are not a direct result of the trade. Letting Markov go or not signing a Markov replacement is more of a reason for the problem on the defense. 

Subban is having a great year but let's not kid ourselves that this very same Montreal roster would be in a much better spot if he was still here. A #1 LD that can start the rush is a huge gaping hole right now that would be the solution back there, that and the disaster that we call our forwards of course. 

He can still be very good but he's coming out of his prime, and his continually declining numbers at even strength show it. Both traditional stats like points at even strength, and his possession numbers at even strength are down from his prime when he was 26-29 years old. That doesn't mean he's fallen off a cliff (he hasn't), but it does mean he's not in his prime, which is exactly what I said.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

When the trade was made, the Habs power play was indeed a huge issue. In essence, like any trade, one area was helped and another may have been hurt. 

5 hours ago, illWill said:

Even in terms of entertainment value, people seem to forget that the team was “boring” to watch with Subban on the team. As for the trade itself, Bergevin has (needless to say) made worse decisions than this one. Those blunders make it easy to point back to this trade as if it’s a continual thing, but the move itself wasn’t the hugest deal, especially in regards to where the team currently sits in the standings. 

One thing I'll note is that the power play has been better since he's been injured. 

Although, that may be a coaching thing.  The current powerplay has multiple options which makes it tougher to defend than it was earlier in the season where they tried to force everything to Weber.