Habs sign Lindgren - 750k per for 3 years

Meller93

One way deal I’ve seen so far. Looks like this means Lindgren will get the backup nod until 2021. 

Small sample size for Lindgren but this seems like great value given his performance in MTL

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

One way deal I’ve seen so far. Looks like this means Lindgren will get the backup nod until 2021. 

Small sample size for Lindgren but this seems like great value given his performance in MTL

He will get the crack at backup next season, but at 750 it guarantees nothing until 2021.  He can be buried in the minors with no cap hit if he doesn't perform.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He will get the crack at backup next season, but at 750 it guarantees nothing until 2021.  He can be buried in the minors with no cap hit if he doesn't perform.

Very true. Still I have a good feeling Lindgren will carve out a solid career as a backup.

Wow, that's quite the bargain. Hasn't proved much, but his NHL numbers were pretty nice. Given his age, i figured he'd be looking for more. But i guess being surrounded by Waite and Price isn't slumming it either.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, Habopotamus said:

I don't really understand why Lindgren would do a 3 year deal 

The average goalie market is oversaturated and Montreal has some good goalie prospects. An affordable contract makes it easier for him to be in the lineup. McNiven and Hawkey both have potential, and who knows maybe Fucale is a late bloomer (doubtful). Unless Lindgren breaks out into a starter he's going to be in tough competition with other goalies. A guaranteed $750K when there's a good chance you'll be either in the AHL or as a back-up is good in this market.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, Habopotamus said:

I don't really understand why Lindgren would do a 3 year deal 

There was talk that Lindgren's agent wanted a 2 year deal which would bring him right up to UFA status.  The Habs pushed for a 3 year deal, which is very wise since it gives McNiven more time to develop in case Lindgren decides he wants to leave Montreal after the 3rd year to try and get a #1 role somewhere.

Or maybe Price will want out in around 3 years, and with a significant chunk of his signing bonuses paid and an upcoming expansion draft for Seattle on the horizon, both he and the Habs may decide it's best to go west. He's from B.C. so a move to Seattle may be something he would consider since he'll be a lot closer to home.

The best of the goalie prospects might be Primeau. 

Thats not to take away anything from Hawkey and McNiven, but Primeau is the same age and outproducing 1st round pick Jake Oettinger, and pretty much every freshman goalie in the NCAA.  He might be the best goalie in the 2017 draft. 

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The best of the goalie prospects might be Primeau. 

Thats not to take away anything from Hawkey and McNiven, but Primeau is the same age and outproducing 1st round pick Jake Oettinger, and pretty much every freshman goalie in the NCAA.  He might be the best goalie in the 2017 draft. 

Or he busts in two years because predicting good goaltending is like predicting which number you'll roll on a die.

Edit: Not to be a downer, I just can't get too amped on a goalie prospect this early after his draft.

Fair enough, which is why having Lindgren, Hawkey, McNiven, and Primeau is important (notice I've given up on Fucale). 

When you have 3-4 good goalie prospects, more chance one will pan out. 

Just noticed people kept mentioning McNiven and Hawkey, and I was like... wait a sec, Primeau is at least as good as them as a prospect and might even be better.